This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "'mail to:" problems ...

My links that used to open a new email page have stopped working. They now open a blank browser page.
    I've tried remaking the mail to: links but without success. When I mouse ove the link it shows mailto:holiday@f.....com
    Any ideas.

This is the failing page...

Re: mail to: problem

You seem to be confusing the eMail concepts .... either you create a page with an eMail Form on it (that sends and confirms in real-time an email from your site) ... or ... you provide an email Link that can be used only if and when the Visitor opens/Starts Outlook or Outlook Express eMail client Utility on their computer ... not a recommended method whatsoever, as it allows your eMail address to be scoured by bots to then be unmercilessly sent Spam (which is the very reason using an eMail Form with CAPTCHA is so important and has been included in BlueVoda).

You are describing two different methods as if they are one: they are not, and each functions differently for good reason.
    The "mailto:" eMail Link will not deliver a 'Thank You' page nor actually "send" the eMail until the Sender open/starts Outlook on their computer --- meaning that email could linger in the Outbox forever if they don't use Outlook! Additionally, the "mailto:" Link is not an eMail method as universally accessible for all Users and systems as the eMail Form is, for if the User does not have Outlook on their computer or device (Outlook is a MS Windows Utility included in the Office suite of titles, and is not included on Mac or some newer PC computers or devices) it will likely open a blank page or default to an Error.

If you insist on 'informing' Visitors of a valid eMail address to a specific person, you can do so by de-activating the "mailto:" Link and simply publish the eMail address as simple Text only, thus providing the convenience of the eMail Form on your site with the built-in security as the PRIMARY method of communicating with you timely, securely, and in the format required. Having both methods on a single page likely causes both Visitor confusion and page function conflicts (especially if you have positioned the "mailto:" links within the margins of your BV Form area) ...

If your navigation is not working (not opening your Contact page), it is likely due to an erroneous entry made in your Menu: check to be sure all Menu links are precisely entered and reflect the actual page title as published, without spelling errors or missing URL elements (such as wrongly entering your Contact page as ".html" instead of ".php" as should be).

Do yourself a favor and review the Tutorial again closely to spot your error.

PS: It is very unwise to create a Forum Identity using a valid eMail address, especially when advised not to during the Registration process. Consider creating a new Identity that is more "secure" ...
    . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
    * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Re: mail to: problem

Thank you for your time and reply.
      I was trying to cover all bases by having a form and a direct email, I've removed the email links on your advice.

The reason i did this was that I had a lot of problems making CAPTCHA work when I set it up a few years ago, it's OK now.

The remaining problem I have is that when someone uses the form I receive it ok BUT when I hit reply it goes to MY email address and not the enquirer's. I then have to hope that they filled in their email address correctly in the form otherwise I can't reply to them.

Any ideas.

Comment

Re: "'mail to:" problems ...

Email Form submissions do not include an eMail address of the Sender - it has strictly the information regarding the server-sent identifiers, such as your address as being sent to, "Web Mail Sent From ABC.com" listed as from, and the information entered in the fields you configured .....

Simply include a Field in your eMail Form on your web page specifically labeled for their address, and set "Validation" for it so the Sender is required to fill it out properly. This way when your form-based eMail comes in from the website, it will include a valid email address to reply to.
        You will still have to copy it down somewhere separately (and from wherever you archive it, you can either copy+paste it to and from Word or a spreadsheet, for example, or simply click on it if added to your Outlook Addressbook when you first view it), but that is all part of the correct methodology you must train yourself to adopt and use universally ...

Personally, when it comes to Orders, Sales, or Reservations, not only do I archive Contact and other info in various places for triple redundancy, I make sure that all such emails are dutifully printed out and kept organized in a Binder for easy referential daily access.

Comment

OK, that is what happens.

I thought it used to work differently, maybe in a different version of BV or the form builder, but the memory does play tricks!

Thanks again

Comment

No problem, Mike! Have a great season!

Comment

Working...
            X