X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sub-Directories: sitemap.xml/html & privacy-policy.html questions

RE: sitemap.xml
    If I build my site with "index" in the public_html folder (naturally), and no other pages; and then create sub directory folders in the public_html folder (e.g. below), will my BV Sitemap generator crawl those sub directory pages?

e.g.
    www.mysite.com
    www.mysite.com/widgets/
    www.mysite.com/broomsticks/

A) One sitemap.xml file for all three index pages, placed in the public_html folder?
    Since the widgets and broomsticks pages will be "index" pages in their respective folders, I am curious to know if they will get crawled by the BV sitemap.xml generator when it is engaged (after I publish, of course).

-or-

B) One sitemap.xml file for each of the three (3) folders and placed in those folders, respectively?
    Or, when I activate the .xml generator, do I need to type in www.mysite.com, www.mysite.com/widgets/ and www.mysite.com/broomsticks/ and create a sitemap.xml file for those 3 and place those 3 sitemap.xml files in their respective directory and sub-directory folders?

RE: sitemap.html and privacy-policy.html
    Now, regarding actual published pages called "sitemap.html" and "privacy-policy.html" (which Google likes):

Does a single sitemap.html and privacy-policy.html in the public_html folder cover all sub-directory folders?

For my sitemap.html, I would list my sub folder page as "widgets" and "broomsticks" and link as www.mysite.com/widgets/ and .../broomsticks/ respectively.

For my privacy-policy.html, I guess that it would be considered relevant to the sub-directory pages?

How does this go for people who have blogs and forums, etc?

Going way out on a limb, because I don't know:
    And a really dumb question because I do not know: Is it ok to have my privacy policy and my sitemap page in their own individual sub directory folders (and those pages would also be called "index" in those respective folders)?

This is a dumb question because posters and the Internet have mentioned that sub directory pages are used due to unique content. That doesn't make sense when I look at my public_html page, I see [SUB-DIR] folders set up for "images" and "downloads" for my www.mysite.com page. What is so unique about an "image" I use in my primary index page and relate the image name to the text?
    -----------------------------------

I have been doing a lot of reading on this in this forum, but these particular question are not addressed anywhere.

Since a lot of people have forums and blogs, etc. in their own sub directories, I am interested in how they number and locate their sitemap.xml, sitemap.html and privacy-policy.html items.

Overall, the purpose of this is because I understand that a shallow website is favored by Google because the spiders don't have to dig too deep when they crawl the sight.

Thank you
    Last edited by John K.; 07-26-2012, 10:33 AM. Reason: to embolden some lines, missing text

Re: Sub-Directories: sitemap.xml/html & privacy-policy.html questions

One sitemap and one privacy policy will cover your entire site. Make sure all pages that are within separate directories are linked together and linked to pages in your home directory, the sitemap crawler will follow your links to all linked pages in all directories.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Originally posted by VodaHost View Post
      One sitemap and one privacy policy will cover your entire site. Make sure all pages that are within separate directories are linked together and linked to pages in your home directory, the sitemap crawler will follow your links to all linked pages in all directories.
      Excellent so far. Thank you.

Two more question related to sub-directories, if I may. No answers found on these so far:

RE: Google Verification Code

Will I only need one (1) Google verification code for my home directory (public_html/index)?

If that is the case, then will my other sub-directory "index" pages get into Google Analytics so I can see the stats as well for those pages (visits, clicks, time on, etc.)?

RE: All images used in my "C:\Documents and Settings\user\My Documents\BlueVoda\Images" folder, and how they are located in the server folders:

On the home PC side (URL above): do I simply let them accumulate in my "images" folder

On the server side sub-directory (public_html/widgets): Do I need to keep track of all the images on their assigned pages and publish them to their respective home directory and sub-directory folders?

-or-

Is it going to be a problem if I let all images go into the home directory image [SUB-DIR] image folder?

Thank you so much.
      Last edited by John K.; 07-27-2012, 12:05 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Alright; please disregard the above question about images, but I do need some thoughts and/or suggestions on what I have done, as well as an answer to the Google verification code on each "index" page:

I went ahead and created a "customer-services" sub-directory folder in my public_html home directory using the FTP tool in my BV builder.

On my PC side, I went to C:\Documents and Settings\user\My Documents\BlueVoda and created a "customer-services" folder and put an "index" page inside that.

On that page, I laid out some customer service kind of text and images and then published it to the sub-directory folder.

On my C:\Documents and Settings\user\My Documents\BlueVoda "index.bvp" page, I linked to hxxp://www.progresslanguage.com/customer-services/ and it worked.

Then I went to my public_html/customer-services directory and noticed that my index page is there as it should be. So far so good.

Happily, I also noticed that my single image that I used on the "customer-services" page was automatically forwarded and installed in an "images [SUB-DIR] folder" in that sub-directory (sort of a sub-directory within a sub-directory). Nice!

The only downside to all of this:
        The only issue that vexes me is how to solve the "image conundrum" within my C:\Documents and Settings\user\My Documents\BlueVoda\Images folder, because ALL my images go into the one (1) collect-all image folder without respect to the index pages here and here:

C:\Documents and Settings\user\My Documents\BlueVoda\index.bvp
        C:\Documents and Settings\user\My Documents\BlueVoda\customer-cervices\index.bvp

That's right; all images used in the build process get dumped into one folder. Yikes!

Why do my images automatically get sorted so nicely and conveniently into their respective folders in the "public_html" directory, when I publish; but my desktop BV builder plops ALL of my images into one single folder; without respect to sub-directory folders in C:\Documents and Settings\user\My Documents\BlueVoda\? Any way to override that?

Now I have to figure out a naming rule that lets me know which images are where, since they are all in that one folder. I also need to make it so my image naming rule does not interfere with SEO for image naming, etc.
        --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am still politely asking for an answer on the Google verification code question for analytical purposes, as well as a solution on the collect-all image folder in "My Documents\BlueVoda\"

I am kind of guessing that since I will have around nin (9) "index" pages, that I will have to install a verification code in each of them so they get tracked for user use, but an answer would be nice. I am not at the stage of submitting since I don't have the pages ready to go yet.

Thank you kindly.
        Last edited by John K.; 07-27-2012, 02:22 AM. Reason: clarification

Comment

Google Verification is not necessary (in contrast to simple Core Page META & Values) and often is disruptive to page coding altogether.
          Your assumptive premise for creating Sub-Directories is essentially erroneous, and further unnecessarily complicates what needs be kept simple for compliance and proper function ... it is simply obvious that you do not yet fully comprehend the difference between a Sub-Domain and a Sub-Directory and the requirements each singularly presents.
          . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
          * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

You dont need all these sub directories for every little thing, remember K.I.S.S. ...Keep it simple. All you need to get google verification is to upload one page to your public_html and click verify in your Google webmaster control panel.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
            1-302-283-3777 North America / International
            02036089024 / United Kingdom
            291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

Working...
              X