Adding a Perl Script?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding a Perl Script?

I found a search feature I want to add- I've never added Perl to a website before and feel like I'm reading another language to do this. They have instructions, but again, I feel lost in them. Does anyone have experience with this that might be able to make it understandable to me?

What I want to add is: http://www.perlfect.com/freescripts/search/

I would consider paying them, but then I won't know how to do it on the next site!

Thanks for any suggestions/help.
    Beth
    A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
    SEO - The Basics

Re: Adding a Perl Script?

Bethers

have downloaded above and will try it out when I get time....
    Will get back to you soonest.....
    Have fun
    Regards..... David

Step by Step Visual Tutorials for the complete beginner
    Newbies / Beginners Forum
    FREE Membership Login Scripts: - Meta Tags Analyzer
    My Social Networking Site - Free Contact Forms
    Finished your New website!! Now get it noticed Here:

Comment

Thank you David, you are a sweetheart.

I've been looking for a search that was reallly good - and found it on a site when link trading - and it really does the trick. I'm sure after I do it once, I'll wonder why it's got me so confused.
      Beth

SEO and Marketing Tools
      SEO - The Basics

Comment

Installation

The easiest way to install Perlfect Search is to use the setup utility that comes with this distribution:
        Open the compressed archive you downloaded with a suitable compression tool (e.g. tar and gunzip for Linux/Unix, Winzip for Windows). A directory search-3.31 will be created with all the program files in it.
        Upload the directory to your account if it is hosted on a remote machine using FTP or scp (secure copy). Don't upload it inside your cgi-bin directory, rather put it in a temporary place. The setup utility will take care of copying everything in appropriate locations.

Login to your account using ssh/telnet if it is on a remote system.
        Go inside the distribution directory that you just uploaded.
        Run the setup utility with the following command: perl setup.pl

The setup utility will then guide you through the rest of the installation process.
        Go to the installation directory (e.g. cgi-bin/perlfect/search) and try to run perl indexer.pl.
        When everything works, you can delete the temporary search-3.31 directory.

Sorry Bethers, downloaded program, got as far as the above underlined section but could not figure out where to enter the command
        Perl setup.pl

will look at it again tomorrow...........
        Have fun
        Regards..... David

Step by Step Visual Tutorials for the complete beginner
        Newbies / Beginners Forum
        FREE Membership Login Scripts: - Meta Tags Analyzer
        My Social Networking Site - Free Contact Forms
        Finished your New website!! Now get it noticed Here:

Comment

David,
          I'm in the process of putting a much simpler search on my site - at least simpler for me :) - if you have time to play with that one, and want to, it's the one I'd really prefer to use - but I do have this other and it works, so only look more if you have time! And I truly thank you for looking at it.
          Beth

SEO and Marketing Tools
          SEO - The Basics

Comment

Originally posted by davidundalicia View Post
            Installation

The easiest way to install Perlfect Search is to use the setup utility that comes with this distribution:
            Open the compressed archive you downloaded with a suitable compression tool (e.g. tar and gunzip for Linux/Unix, Winzip for Windows). A directory search-3.31 will be created with all the program files in it.
            Upload the directory to your account if it is hosted on a remote machine using FTP or scp (secure copy). Don't upload it inside your cgi-bin directory, rather put it in a temporary place. The setup utility will take care of copying everything in appropriate locations.

Login to your account using ssh/telnet if it is on a remote system.
            Go inside the distribution directory that you just uploaded.
            Run the setup utility with the following command: perl setup.pl

The setup utility will then guide you through the rest of the installation process.
            Go to the installation directory (e.g. cgi-bin/perlfect/search) and try to run perl indexer.pl.
            When everything works, you can delete the temporary search-3.31 directory.

Sorry Bethers, downloaded program, got as far as the above underlined section but could not figure out where to enter the command
            Perl setup.pl

will look at it again tomorrow...........

Can you install perl scripts on Vodahost sites ? I've been trying to get it done with little success.
            Appreciate a hand.

Paulson

Comment

Working...
            X