PDA

View Full Version : Installing new php templates

rcmaddawg
04-30-2006, 03:06 AM
I have downloaded the templates that I wanted for my forum...and I hate the default one given, so want to change mine and put up a new header. But no matter how hard I try, I just can't seem to extract the files so that I can use them. I have watched the tutorial, and have read so many threads on here I'm more confused now than ever. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated....

Rcmaddawg
www.rcfun4all.com (http://www.rcfun4all.com)

racefan20
04-30-2006, 03:53 AM
All you have to do is ftp the theme you want to use into your phpbb templates folder. Then go to your forum's admin panel, find Styles Admin and click Add. You should see a list of all the themes you've uploaded and you can then install them.

rcmaddawg
04-30-2006, 04:34 AM
Ty Racefan....but I have done just that. When I go the Admin panel and then to styles, I still only see that default one that comes with the initial download of the forum not the ones I put in my templates folder via ftp.

Rcmaddawg

racefan20
04-30-2006, 04:55 AM
Okay, first off, did you unzip the styles after you downloaded them?

rcmaddawg
04-30-2006, 04:58 AM
Yes I did unzip them....wasnt I supposed to?

racefan20
04-30-2006, 05:12 AM
Yes, you were. Second question, did you upload them in their own folder, or did you upload each file individually?

rcmaddawg
04-30-2006, 06:57 AM
I uploaded each file individually....I had read somewhere in the forum here of someone that had a prob too, and they were told to download a different one as some times there is a glitch in the dowloads, so I downloaded 3 different ones, and then I uploaded them one at a time. And still couldn't get it to work.

racefan20
04-30-2006, 07:07 AM
We may be talking about two different things. When you download and unzip a theme, it will be in a folder named theme_name_here. You need to upload that folder in its entirety to maintain the proper structure. Is this the way you've gone about it?

rcmaddawg
04-30-2006, 07:19 AM
Hmmm...ok when I downloaded them, these are the names of the files:
ezHyperShadow101(Compressed Zip Folder)
BBTech(Compressed Zip Foler)
AcidTechPurpleEx(Compressed Zip Folder)

So then when I unzipped them, they are now in a folder with each individual name as mentioned above (minus the Compressed Zip Folder)

I am ready to throw the towel in with this, I have had so many probs with this and the email set up....

racefan20
04-30-2006, 07:29 AM
Don't throw in the towel, but allow me some time, okay? It's late and I have to get some sleep before work tomorrow, but I'll help you fix this tomorrow evening. Email me at racefan20n11******.com (be specific as to who you are) and we'll go from there. Your forum will be fixed soon, I guarantee it.

rcmaddawg
04-30-2006, 07:36 AM
Ok...well ty very much Racefan, not only for your trying to help me...but for your patience as well...

SChajin
04-30-2006, 12:47 PM
Hi there,

I had a lot of trouble also please go to the chit chat and read Hey Alien, he got me through it and I changed mine. I printed ot out and went through step by step. If you need more help I can go through it again and help you (hopefuly). OK

rcmaddawg
04-30-2006, 04:40 PM
Hi Sharon,

I followed the instructions from the "hey alien" post as you suggested. But still I can't get it to work. I get something that comes up saying there is no theme. There has to something that is wrong. But as I have said earlier, I have downloaded 3 diff templates. Do you have a site where you go to download the templates? Maybe I need a different download site to try. Thanks

Rcmaddawg

rcmaddawg
04-30-2006, 06:20 PM
Not sure if anyone has had this message come up, but this is what I get after using the FTP manager then going to the Admin page for my forum:

"The template you selected has no themes attached to it. To create a new theme click the Create New link on the left hand panel"

I have had this msg come up now for all 3 of the templates I downloaded. GRRRR.....

Aliens Anonymous
04-30-2006, 08:55 PM
Hi rcmaddawg
i understand you have a problem.
1/ Where did you get the skins.
2/when unzipping folder did you place all files into a new folder .

rcmaddawg
04-30-2006, 09:19 PM
Hi Alien:

I got the skins from http://www.phpbb.com/

Yes they are in a new folder with the exact name as the orignal file, as that is what I read to do

Also they are in the Bluevoda file as well...as that is where I save all things pertaining to my site.

Rcmaddawg

Aliens Anonymous
04-30-2006, 10:12 PM
sorry it took so long to get back .
OK will take it one step at a time, you might have already have done some of this,
open ftp and connect, on the right side find and open folder named forum. then find folder named templates and open, is the theme skin folder there.?

rcmaddawg
04-30-2006, 10:49 PM
Hi Alien...
Yes I have done all of the things mentioned in your last post.

Aliens Anonymous
04-30-2006, 11:01 PM
Right
in your FTP have you checked that every file and folder have been moved to the right side. so it's right side forum, template (theme) images, admin, also the folders inside the images, admin.
this can be done by opening each folder in turn. ie: left side of screen , right side of screen, forum left / forum right - template left / template right and so on checking all file have been moved across.
if all file have been moved then come back and we will move on
OK.

rcmaddawg
04-30-2006, 11:12 PM
the only ones I have in there from the left side to the right side are: admin and images...and I looked at the other 2 I downloaded as well and I don't see a folder in any of them marked "theme"....so that must be my problem...but how on earth do I get the templates with ALL the necessary files?

Aliens Anonymous
04-30-2006, 11:27 PM
find the theme you wanted on the left side of your ftp manager open and check that the files and folders are there. if it looks like they are close the folder. on the right side templates delete all folders except the subsilver the ones you loaded there.
now open the forum folder on right side then open templates.
now click the theme you wanted on the left side so it is high lighted now click the move to button in the tool bar at the top. the move can take a while so make a cup of tea. when finished check the files and folders left to right.
ok

rcmaddawg
04-30-2006, 11:32 PM
Sry Alien...but I did just as you said, and the file went over very quick...so quck now that I can't even see it on the right side...LOL now that is fast....

Aliens Anonymous
04-30-2006, 11:38 PM
has that folder on the left got all the files and folders in it , and did you open the forum then templates folder on the right before you clicked move to. if you did not you will find the folder is the last item on the right.

rcmaddawg
04-30-2006, 11:46 PM
The one on the left has admin and images in it...and yes I did open the forum, templates folders before I clicked to move.

Aliens Anonymous
04-30-2006, 11:53 PM
try moving it across agian. sometime these thing are stubborn and times out. if it happens agian give me the theme name and i will find out whats there.

rcmaddawg
04-30-2006, 11:57 PM
Ok...I tried 2 of them again...and still nothing...so these are the 2 I have:

acidtechpurple
ezHyperShadow101

The ezHyperShadow101 is the one that I would like to us...but if not...I'm quite willing to find another...one that has all the proper files to install

Thanks for all your help so far Alien

Aliens Anonymous
05-01-2006, 12:02 AM
OK I will go and get them and see what i come up with. give me half an hour and get back to you. mind you if your in the UK you might want to go to bed . but don't worry you will have the forum you want. these things are here to test your will power.

rcmaddawg
05-01-2006, 12:04 AM
LOL @ testing my will power....it is testing alot more than that I tell ya...I'm in Canada...so will be up for a long time yet.

Aliens Anonymous
05-01-2006, 12:37 AM
Ok think I've got it have look is this the one you want ? click HERE (http://www.aliensanonymous.org/forum)

rcmaddawg
05-01-2006, 12:40 AM
OMG Alien...you are the best....YESSS we will take that one...I'm almost ready to take anything...but that one is great.

ps: all these posts are from Maddawgs wife, he has no idea what is going on with his site other than I'm at my pc for 10+ hrs a day now...hahaha

Aliens Anonymous
05-01-2006, 12:59 AM
Right here we go.
first must tell that i did have abit of trouble moving this in ftp but only a little though,
first we clear the board delete your theme download from your bluevoda folder or were ever you keep them. make a new folder named forum sets, this folder is were you will download this theme and any others you may want.
now open ftp mansger connect, on the right open forum - templates delete any themes except the folder name subsilver and the file outside that called index.htm.
now you will need to down load the theme. that one is in phpBB downloads themes under the colours link about 3 quaters of the way down the page you will find ezHyperShadow101 but i think the 101 was missing.
download but when the box comes up with run, save, cancel press run if your useing winzip it will start up press extract find the folder you made forum set and extract it to there. when you've done come back.

rcmaddawg
05-01-2006, 01:09 AM
Ok...I have done all of the above Alien...that is the same one I had downloaded before, but have it again now

Aliens Anonymous
05-01-2006, 01:29 AM
Right: now open ftp and connect on right side open forum then templates.
on the left side find the folder you downloaded the theme and open, now click the theme folder to high light it and then click the move to button, now you should notice that theme folder will appear on the right it should continue to move the files when it has finished you must check each folder in turn as this is were i had trouble you may find that are folders or files missing ,Especially in the images folder if you find that there are missing folders or files just high light them on the left and press move to.
move folders first then open them and see if there are missing file if so move them in the same way. wants you've done that and happy that all folder and file are on the right and in the right place of your ftp come back.

rcmaddawg
05-01-2006, 01:44 AM
whew...ok well all the files are over to the right...I checked each one and all seem to be there

Aliens Anonymous
05-01-2006, 02:04 AM
Right almost here now,
now go log into your admin on the forum, when there on the left under styles admin click the add link, a page will appear with a box with style-template-action you should see the theme that you have just loaded click the install. now once you come back to the admin page on the left under general admin click the Configuration link page opens about half way down you will see Default Style in the drop down box select your theme then click submit. now when it comes back go to the forum go to your profile open and change yours on the Board Style:
now go do this and come back with a big smile on your face.

rcmaddawg
05-01-2006, 02:11 AM
SMILE!!! Yes Alien...it worked....TYVM....now I think I should keep you in my back pocket for my next dilema I have...lol Let me know if you are interested in helping me with some other issues I have . Thanks so much again.

Aliens Anonymous
05-01-2006, 02:25 AM
No problem any time, it's nice to know that someone is now dancing around the room like a 5 year old.
Well done

ps ) about changing the header and putting some links in there. May be another time, when you've stop dancing around. I'm off to have a cup of coffee then of to bed seeing it's 2.30am here in england.
but first I'm going to look at your forum.
good luck

Aliens Anonymous
05-01-2006, 04:13 PM
Hi rcmaddawg
Been messing about with that forum skin you liked, take a look HERE (http://www.aliensanonymous.org/forum)
let me know what you think, (sorry for nicking your pic but needed something for your demo. the text and links etc can all be changed to suit or site.

rcmaddawg
05-07-2006, 07:47 PM
Alien....after all your help with getting my forum changed, I'm wondering if you know how to change the banner in it? I have edited the blank header, saved it, uploaded it in the FTP manager, but now not sure how to get it up on the forum....

Aliens Anonymous
05-07-2006, 07:54 PM
Hi rcmaddawg
Been messing about with that forum skin you liked, take a look HERE (http://www.aliensanonymous.org/forum)
let me know what you think, (sorry for nicking your pic but needed something for your demo. the text and links etc can all be changed to suit or site.

Hi been waiting for you to get back click the link in the quote, is this what you mean ( notice the two extra links and the picture.

rcmaddawg
05-07-2006, 08:04 PM
So sorry Alien, I didn't even see your last post. This thread has gotten so big I didn't even go the second page when I made my last post. I just checked out what you did, and it is great. Now to get that to my forum, and I'll be doin that "happy dance" again LOL

Aliens Anonymous
05-07-2006, 08:34 PM
Hi do you wish to use that image or text ? if you have picture that you would like with different text let me know.
if you want that one then.
first off go my forum on the link above, then right click the image on the top right. and save on to your computer as logo , in your bluevoda folder and as close to the forum skin that you downloaded. then we will go from there.

rcmaddawg
05-07-2006, 08:42 PM
Ok I have saved it in the images folder of the forum skin that I downloaded....

Aliens Anonymous
05-07-2006, 09:21 PM
open the images folder you will see a folder named logo open that there should be a file or image in there named logo.jpg
did it replace the old logo image. if so that is great. if not delete the old one and replace with the new one making shore the file name is the same.
now open ftp manager and connect. on the left find the your forum skin folder again and open then find the images folder and open then open the logo folder. now you should see a lot of image files on the left.
now repeat this prosess on the right untill you have both logo folders open on both sides. now click the file on the left that says logo.jpg then click the move to button at top of page , when finished check your forum .
then get back and we will do the button links.

rcmaddawg
05-07-2006, 10:53 PM
Ok all done Alien, sorry had to run out and get groceries...family seems to think they are always starvin...LOL

Aliens Anonymous
05-07-2006, 11:07 PM
Ok all done Alien, sorry had to run out and get groceries...family seems to think they are always starvin...LOL

I know what you mean i've got 6 kids and there like bottomless pits.
right the next bit i will E-mail to you through the email on your site.
i have to change one of the files so the links will work.
all i need from you is the full URL of the page you want the our site button to go to.
the email will have the images needed for the buttons and the amended file which will be attached in a zipfile. will do you full instuctions as well.
this bit is no harder than the last. OK
if you want me to email to a different address let me know.

rcmaddawg
05-07-2006, 11:13 PM
No, the email addy to the site is fine. I have it all working now. The url will be:
http://www.rcfun4all.com/index.html

But one question for you, I have the forum coming up in a page all on it's own. Should I keep it like that and just add the Tell a Friend button? That makes more sense as they will already have the page open for the site, but then and again, if they are happy clickers they may have closed the site page down, so forget it...we will just do it like you have. That is great. Thanks

Aliens Anonymous
05-07-2006, 11:26 PM
the two new buttons you will get will have links to pages that are on your web site. if you go to my forum and click them you will taken to my home page and to page that people can fill a form and send your site to a friend . now i what your going to say i have not got a tell a friend page well don't worry about that now we can fix that later. lets get this done then you can move on.
I will email all you need in about an hour. OK

rcmaddawg
05-07-2006, 11:28 PM
ok...thanks so much alien...I would be lost without you. I will just follow what you say. hahaha

Aliens Anonymous
05-08-2006, 08:21 PM
Well Done, looking really good top notch.

Axioma
03-01-2007, 07:28 PM
Aliens Anonymous (http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/members/aliens-anonymous.html).... I tried what u suggested from Angie's Cybertscript...and I thought I understood everything except my forum doesn't show up in the public_html files when I open my FTP files->public_html->(forum)....I even tried deleting some of the old files as Racefan said to someone in a post but many of my folders in public_html files dont even show up in FTP....:( only 3 folders show...when there should be alot more. I know you've guided others in the right path....can you or someone with the knowledge pls help me?...

I am currently using a 'free' forum but if BV provides us with one i'd like to use it without the ads :)

Thanks so much

Aliens Anonymous
03-01-2007, 08:01 PM
Vodahost offers free phpbb forums, if you go to your cpanel and look for the big blue smile bottom row, (Fantastico) then on the left scrole down to the phpBB2, Click, then click new Installation , fill in the info and click install phpBB2. Your forum will then be installed along with it's database ( no adverts no there )
any problems get back.

Axioma
03-01-2007, 09:01 PM
I have installed it already....my problem is not being able to find the forum folder in my public_html when I open FTP....actually many folders that are in my CP public_html are not showing up in FPT...I already deleted soem unused files but I just cant seem to get it.....pls
help me!!

Axioma
03-01-2007, 10:02 PM
Sorry I didnt explain that clear enough....

I want to add a new theme (to the new forum) which I have already downloaded but my problem is not being able to find the forum folder in my public_html when I open FTP so I can copy from the folder I downloaded into the FTP files....actually many folders that are in my CP public_html are not showing up in FPT...I've read most of your posts on the subject but I am stuck at transfering...since I cant find the "forum" on my ftp.

Another question, does the new 'theme' have to uploaded into the public_html folder->forum->template?
help me pls

Aliens Anonymous
03-02-2007, 07:49 AM
1/ has your vodahost account been activated as the link you have doesn't work.
2/ when you installed phpBB2 though Fantastico what in the first is a dropdown box what domain name did it show . and in the second box what did you type in there.

Axioma
03-02-2007, 06:56 PM
I figured it out Aliens! thanks so much....it seems I had to delete some of the files in my ftp....those bv buttons were taking up so much space! as soon as i deleted them all my folders showed up lol. Now I gotta restore them :S.

Thanks for all yoru help!