Placing HTML on your page

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Placing HTML on your page

When I first published my site I had no idea how to place HTML on a page. This seems simple now, but just in case anyone is having the same difficulty that I was...

Take for example that you want to add Google adsense to your page, or a banner ad. First of all, make a note of the size of the banner, or choose the google adsense size.

Next, click the HTML box to put it on your page - it is the top icon on the left. Look at the numbers on the bottom right of your screen. The first numbers show where the cursor is on the page. The second set of numbers will tell you what size the HTML box is. As default this is set to 150 by 150.

If your banner is going to be 728 x 90, resize this box by clicking on the markers in the middle of each side. When the second set of numbers at the bottom of your screen have changed to 728 x 90 you have the correct size box. Double click the box and paste the HTML code in in. Now position your box where you want it to appear on your screen. You can be confident that your banner won't hide other text if you make sure it is the right size.
    Trish
    www.Limebrook.com
    www.MountainWalk.co.uk
    www.MyBeardedDragons.co.uk
    www.TucsonForBeginners.com
    www.Pets4kids.info

Re: Placing HTML on your page

Pardon me, does this html box go behind the pic/banner or whatever is used? I'm not getting this html box and exactly how it's used. I'm trying...
    http://www.rogerwrapit.com

Comment

I think I'm getting it...they supply you with the code for the banner. Then you *******te the same duplicate size box that that their banner is. Now, by typing in the code... they give you it will produce this banner from their site. Right?

Am I undestanding this? Or not? So, when previewing in browser I should see their banner? Shaking head here. What if you do this 4-5 times on a link page. Ohmigosh. I am Moderator on another forum and here I am wearing my Newbie hat...

Comment

Never mind...I found the tutorials and will play them until it makes sense. Sorry to have the cart before the horse...

I will learn this...

Comment

You're half-way there!

When you create a HTNL box in BV, you need to know that it is merely a mirror of whatever html code you insert into it, as the code itself performs a function, and is not constrained to the actual borders of the box you "sized".....meaning you can make a box 150x150 and insert a banner code (by copying+pasting, NOT typing...allows typos, right?) for a banner say 468x60, and although the box seems to fit within the layout scheme in BV, when previewed, the banner will be displayed as large as was written, aligned along the top edge of the box you made.....

It is better to make your html boxes slightly smaller than actual size, and *******te them while empty of code to lay them out as desired (they will display accordingly anyway), just to make the alignment of the boxes/banners easier. You can align them using the XY axis tool in the lower right hand corner of the BV browser pane, or by temporarily resetting the Guide to move the boxes flush to. Whichever is easier for you.
          >>> The reason I do this is I have learned some vendors purposely write their code to "misalign" within html boxes in an effort to get their banner to stand out from the crowd.....thus the undersizing of my boxes and initial alignment via XY axis, and after previewing what seems a million times, moving the boxes one click at a time (using the arrow cursor) until it previews perfectly....

Then, when ready, copy the code (after highlighting) and then paste it into either the "After" tab or in the HTML dialog box. Personally, I prefer the "After" tab method to lock in the code under a layer of construct, which seems more stable in the long run.

If you would like a dramtatic example of what I am describing, I will email you a copy of my BV file showing the grossly misaligned html boxes that when seen live present perfectly....request here.

I am still putting the finishing touches on my mall, but you will get the idea I might have some experience at this. I learned myself!

Good Designing!
          . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
          * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

If you only display a banner through your html box, then Vassili is correct, the size of the box doesn't matter, as it is a single object and it will costrain the "box" to resize to the object dimensions. It is however advisable to use a box with the same size of the banner that will be displayed, to guide you in building the rest of your page.
            If however, you don't simply display a banner, but you put a more complex code with multiple objects, then you need to size the html box directly in the desired dimensions, otherwise some objects migh not show or might show incomplete. This is typical with code displaying forms, where if f.e. you have two fields, one beside the other, and the html box is not wide enough, the second one will get moved under the first one, and if there is not enough height, it will not show up at all.
            Navaldesign
            Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
            Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
            DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
            Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Thank you. Both of you. For the courteous and informative explanations. This will "click" as I work the steps explained. Kudos...
              Lee

Comment

Working...
              X