This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guestbook Alert!

It would seem, my friends, that there are spammers afoot! Take care to check your Guestbooks regularly and delete any unwanted entries. You can do this by going to the Viper admin section with the password you were given at the time you installed it. I've been 'got' twice this week, lol. I don't think it's anything dangerous but you probably don't want it in your book.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Re: Guestbook Alert!

Hello
    Why do so many people have a guest book what is so important about them?

Comment

Originally posted by narobe
      Hello
      Why do so many people have a guest book what is so important about them?
      They are used for several reasons - but it is purely down to personal choice. Some use them so that customers and site visitors can leave comments about your goods, services or the site. Others have them by way of a simple message board where they don't require something as 'big' as a forum so that visitors can leaves messages. I guess, in a way, it just adds to the viewing experience and is a way of receiving feedback whether it be good or bad. They do get spammed though which is a downside, but are easy to manage so it rarely causes problems.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
      291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

thank you

Comment

Originally posted by narobe
          thank you
          Delighted to help!

VodaHost

Your Website People!
          291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

You know something, after this thread appeared, I dont have anything on my NEW guestbook, but im getting mobbed on my old one, Ive tried to delete it but all I could figure out was to keep it private, and so maybe that is saving my new one?!..

Comment

I prefer to offer "Newsletter" subscriptions instead of a "Guestbook" to avoid those pratfalls, for two obvious reasons:
              1. Opt-In subscribers offer a verifiable opportunity to serve a willing clientele base with specific information and relationship methods to convert to revenue, and;
              2. Those unwilling to opt-in, sign up, or otherwise identify themselves properly don't require policing anyway, since I would prefer they went away..... Client comments and testamonials that are offered can be screened and collected, and posted in a section controlled by me, without worry about what negative things (online graffiti) are being written, what code is being attacked, etc.

Managing a website is a responsibility, both to the integrity of my company (and industry), and to visitors (who expect a bona-fide Privacy Policy to mean more than a bunch of words pasted to the bottom of a page). Proactively planning for a pleasant visitor's experience forces me to not only protect them, but to provide for them as well.

*Hint: to prevent spam and such coming to me, I try to limit the email addresses displayed on sites as well, and to make them more generic in nature (not names, but Support@, or Admin@ types, which most scouring utilities skip).
              . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
              * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

I've been hit several times in the last couple of weeks. Does anyone know why all of a sudden. I've had my guestbook open for at least a year know without any problems. I finally decided to close my "Viper" guestbook and find another program.

Tim
                Timothy Tate
                The number"1"musicman
                www.timothytate.com

"Music to me is like breathing. I don't get tired of breathing, I don't get tired of music" - Ray Charles

Comment

I run two guestbooks, one using the older Advanced Guestbook which is used quite often by my visitors and does not seem to attract spam. The other is the Viper Guestbook, which attracts nothing but spam.

I don't think there is an option to use Advanced Guestbook any more in the Cpanel which is a shame - it has less functionality granted, but does seem less attractive to spammers. Or is this just a coincidence?
                  Trish
                  www.Limebrook.com
                  www.MountainWalk.co.uk
                  www.MyBeardedDragons.co.uk
                  www.TucsonForBeginners.com
                  www.Pets4kids.info

Comment

I deleted my viper guestbook. It was full of spam. For myself I didnt feel the need for it, and I just dont have the time to monitor it. I do believe there is an option to view before you display the post. Although I didnt get to know the program very well.

Comment

Working...
                    X