This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Text overflows in Chrome

HiMy website is www.experttuning.co.ukI have read through the forum to try and find a solution to the following problem, so apologies if I missed it somehow.The problem is that when I view my web pages in Chrome (they're fine with Firefox and Explorer) my text overflows onto elements below it. I gleaned from previous replies I need to use a websafe font (I am using Tahoma) and that I should 'hard space' lines rather than allowing wrap, though if I am right, this can't work for justified text (admittedly I could be missing something).One of the pages affected by this problem is http://www.experttuning.co.uk/remapormodule.htmlWhat I am seeing is that the main body text overflows onto, and even past, the black 'contact' block at the bottom of the page. Again, this is only in Chrome. It is fine in Firefox and Explorer.I'd appreciate some advice on any checks or changes I might be able to make to resolve this problem.ThanksPaul

Re: Text overflows in Chrome

As you know, each browser renders pages according to their own peculiar manner, and Chrome is no different. There are, however, standard methods to prevent "format leak" across different browsers and to solidify your page's content even moreso -- and they have been repeated many times in the Forums (so it's rather difficult to believe you could not find them if looked for).

For instance:
    Originally posted by Vasili View Post
    I suggest the "issue" is likely due to you using an improper method to create (and to duplicate) your pages, and how both dynamic (Menus, Conveyor, etc.) and static elements (images, with and without same titles) are affected ... also something discussed repeatedly and resolved using the clearly outlined methods posted in these Forums. 2. Another possible cause would be elements outside of page margins that are automatically "reforming" to the page body: make sure everything does not extend outside page margins. 3.And, a third may be simply breaking up any 'longer' Text Boxes into multiple smaller Text Boxes and placing them properly as desired, since large Text Boxes do not hold formatting over [extraordinarly] larger pages areas.
    And, since you are aggravating the formatting of your Content by insisting on using 'Justification' on your text, this is also playing a central issue to the auto-reformation of your text.

I suggest you lose the text-justify and keep things simple and solid elsewise. One of the most problematic issues arising from Text-Justify is that it prevents the natural adjustment of Text across different resolutions (screen sizes), thwarting many browser types as they attempt to 'make the website fit' according to the individual device presets. This is why also, that you should type in your Textual Content normally, letting the words automatically "fit" themselves and start new lines, and NOT use the RETURN key to artificially start a new line, that unnatural 'break' will prevent the auto-sizing that each device resolution attempts to make (it will "chop up" your text when seen on a cell or smaller Tablet, for instance, as the Line Breaks are not automatic).
    And ... do not forget to always add an extra "empty space" or two after your last typed character of every Textbox, as this will prevent the last line from reforming itself and appearing as "line-and-a-half spacing."
    Some things to keep in mind.

Personally, I design my pages defaulted to Chrome rather than Preview them in 3-4 different browsers, only because I know that IE will render the pages exactly as they are shown in BV Workpane, and with Android being a derivative of Chrome, my pages are thus 90%+ more likely to be viewed as I intend: I could care less about Firefox users, as that Desktop-beholden generation is diminishing in the face of the growing population using Tablets, Win8, Android, and BBerry devices that share in the same basic, lighter coded browsers .... and Chrome/DROID is definitively the leader. And, even though we know America is completely entranced with iOS, it represents less than 16% of worldwide traffic, and less than 11% in Europe, so really, paying anything more than casual attention to iOS is a waste of time. IMO.

PS: You should also be sure to "LOCK" all page items in place before Publishing (via EDIT > LOCK ALL) in order to assure a greater degree of preciseness of positioning and Page Version coding ....
    . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
    * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Re: Text overflows in Chrome

Originally posted by Vasili View Post
      As you know, each browser renders pages according to their own peculiar manner, and Chrome is no different. There are, however, standard methods to prevent "format leak" across different browsers and to solidify your page's content even moreso -- and they have been repeated many times in the Forums (so it's rather difficult to believe you could not find them if looked for).

For instance: "3. And, a third may be simply breaking up any 'longer' Text Boxes into multiple smaller Text Boxes and placing them properly as desired, since large Text Boxes do not hold formatting over larger pages areas." And, since you are aggravating the formatting of your Content by insisting on using 'Justification' on your text, this is also playing a central issue to the auto-reformation of your text.

I suggest you lose the text-justify and keep things simple and solid elsewise. One of the most problematic issues arising from Text-Justify is that it prevents the natural adjustment of Text across different resolutions (screen sizes), thwarting many browser types as they attempt to 'make the website fit' according to the individual device presets. This is why also, that you should type in your Textual Content normally, letting the words automatically "fit" themselves and start new lines, and NOT use the RETURN key to artificially start a new line, that unnatural 'break' will prevent the auto-sizing that each device resolution attempts to make (it will "chop up" your text when seen on a cell or smaller Tablet, for instance, as the Line Breaks are not automatic).
      And ... do not forget to always add an extra "empty space" or two after your last typed character of every Textbox, as this will prevent the last line from reforming itself and appearing as "line-and-a-half spacing."
      Some things to keep in mind.

Personally, I design my pages defaulted to Chrome rather than Preview them in 3-4 different browsers, only because I know that IE will render the pages exactly as they are shown in BV Workpane, and with Android being a derivative of Chrome, my pages are thus 90%+ more likely to be viewed as I intend: I could care less about Firefox users, as that Desktop-beholden generation is diminishing in the face of the growing population using Tablets, Win8, Android, and BBerry devices that share in the same basic, lighter coded browsers .... and Chrome/DROID is definitively the leader. And, even though we know America is completely entranced with iOS, it represents less than 16% of worldwide traffic, and less than 11% in Europe, so really, paying anything more than casual attention to iOS is a waste of time. IMO

PS: You should also be sure to "LOCK" all page items in place before Publishing (via EDIT > LOCK ALL) in order to assert a greater degree of assurance of precise positioning and Page Version coding ....
      Thanks for that. I guess I thought that because the justification was allowed in Bluevoda, it must be OK and I must have misunderstood about the hard formatting. I know better now!

I'll make the suggested changes and do all my checking in Chrome from now on.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
      X