Tips for Making Your Pages Search Engine Friendly:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips for Making Your Pages Search Engine Friendly:

As with many other things which are unseen, there is a lot of unnecessary mystery surrounding the use of meta-tags on web pages.
    The meta tags are information packets in the head portion of a web page.
    Though there are several possible meta tags that may be included in the head of a web page, the ones which are most important for search engine optimization are the

Title Tag, the Description tag and the Keywords tag.

The title tag is really one of the most important single things you can work on for improving your website's search engine results.
    Go to Google and make a search for any particular key word If you look at the top ten entries in that search you will see that all of them have this key word in the title, sometimes more than once.
    So when writing your title tag, it is helpful to have your keywords included in the title tag, and not only in the tag, near the beginning of the title.

Suppose that your company is the Acme Manufacturing Company and you are selling electric widgets and you are located in California
    What should your title tag be? Most people would opt for the name of their company as the first word of the title.
    It makes sense, in that it looks good in the blue strip at the top of the browser, but it doesn't necessarily help you to get a good ranking in search results for your keywords "electric widgets, California".
    The first few words of your title tag are very important.
    People may not be searching for Acme Manufacturing, unless it is a very important brand, but they are searching for electric widgets, and they may not want to purchase it from someone in New York, especially if it is not a mail-order type item.
    In addition, if there are tons of widget companies, it will be difficult to get to the top of the heap in a search simply for the term "widgets".
    But if it is "widgets, California", then you will have a good chance of getting a high ranking if you put the keyword California prominently in the title.
    So, if you are in a very competitive category and your customers don't already know about you, then you might consider a title tag like this "Electric widgets from Acme Manufacturing of California" or even better "Electric Widgets in California produced by Acme Manufacturing.
    "Some guidelines for the title tag suggest that this tag be limited to 70-80 characters including spaces.
    I confess to have used more on several occasions.

The next tag that has to be done is the Description tag.
    Many search engines use the description tag as a way to tell the searchers what the page is about.
    On MSN, for example, the description of the site shown underneath the title is the description that has been placed in the description tag.
    The description tag is thus important in two respects:
    the search engine robot searches it for keywords to "get an idea" of what the page is about, and this tag will be seen by the surfers as they scroll down through the search results.
    If it is an interesting and well-written description then they may click through to visit the site.
    So this tag should be well written but also contain the important keywords that you wish to highlight

.Going back to our example of Acme Manufacturing.
    We could make a description tag that reads as follows:
    "Acme Manufacturing is the largest producer of electric widgets in California, providing round the clock service and warrantees on all products."
    This description contains the keywords again and also says something about the company
    .Some guidelines for description length recommend a maximum length of 250 characters.
    Once again there is no precision about this, but it is good to be cautious until you are already entered into a search engine's index.

The last of the important meta tags relevant to search engine optimization is the keywords tag.
    In this tag you have a chance to list your important keywords, but this time they do not have to be in a coherent phrase as in the Title and Description.
    Put your important keywords near the beginning. Make sure that all the keywords used in the title and the description tags are again listed.
    On top of that, add prominent keywords, especially those that appear in the actual text of the page you are optimizing.
    For the Acme Manufacturing company we could have these keywords:
    "widgets, widget, electric widgets, California, widgets in California, Acme Manufacturing, service, warrantee, warrantees".
    Many pundits advise against excessive repetition of any single keyword even if they appear in different phrases separated by commas.
    Once again the guidelines vary and are not precise but it would be better to be conservative at first.
    How big should the keywords section be? 800-1000 is the estimate provided by some search engines and commentators alike.
    (Lately some of the main search engines have begun to disregard the keywords tag in their computations of rank, but some search engines continue to use it, so you can still include it in your metatags.)

The thing to remember about meta tags is that they are just one part of search engine optimization.
    If your text is keyword rich and your page structure allows the search engines to get to this text easily and if, on top of this, you have crafted your meta tags well, then you have an excellent chance of getting the search engine positioning results that you are aiming for.

(More free seo articles http://www.vistadivine.com/seo-articles/articles.html)
    About the Author: Akash Kumar is a search engine optimization expert and also the founder of vistadivine.com - an economical search engine optimization firm.
    Have fun
    Regards..... David

Step by Step Visual Tutorials for the complete beginner
    Newbies / Beginners Forum
    FREE Membership Login Scripts: - Meta Tags Analyzer
    My Social Networking Site - Free Contact Forms
    Finished your New website!! Now get it noticed Here:

Re: Tips for Making Your Pages Search Engine Friendly:

Very Very nice and informative article David. Thnx for sharing

Mike
    http://www.atexflooring.ca
    http://www.newfloor.ca

Comment

My pleasure Mike......

btw: I like your site, have followed your adventures with beth all the way....
      she is good isnt she......
      Have fun
      Regards..... David

Comment

Originally posted by davidundalicia
        My pleasure Mike......

btw: I like your site, have followed your adventures with beth all the way....
        she is good isnt she......
        Good is not good enough for Beth...heh...She's awsome. I call her the SEO Queen now...lol

You put this article now. You got me going through my titles and description again. You're making me work again now.

I noticed that I have some weak titles in comparisson to the description, allthough I'm showing up on the major SE/s already. I guess tweaking never hurts .

I'm sure Beth will love this article when she sees it. Even though she knows this stuff by heart. She might even throw some goodies in here.
        I already added this thread to my favorites.

Thnx again for sharing and for helping with my form the other day. It's working perfectly.

Mike

Comment

She's awsome. I call her the SEO Queen now...

Mike: I stand corrected and fully agree with your sentiments....

I hope she takes these posts in the spirit that they were intended....
          Have fun
          Regards..... David

Comment

Great article David

You should also submit articles to other sites with a link back to yours, the search engines love that from what I gather, being one directional. I actually got my first article I wrote published with the proper reference but was also paid a cool $15...OK, bought a bottle of wine with it, but the reference and link is worth its weight in gold!
            Terri
            www.ice-tropic.com
            www.janebondtravel.com
            www.theazfoodcritic.com

Comment

I'm laughing and embarassed and thank you for the kind words.

It is a good article - got it to my email box as well. We won't talk about how many different seo emails I get daily. Some I save, some I toss, some fall in between.

As to tweaking. As long as it's improvements being made, tweaking is never-ending. And changes to your pages is very well received by se's. Title tags and meta descriptions are very important. Meta keywords are not so important anymore, but they can be if mis-used. So be careful not to spam with them. Relevant inbound links are very, very good - and an article, like Terri mentioned is very good. You can also get these by writing and submitting a news release. Just make sure your news release really is newsworthy. I wrote and submitted one for a site I work on two weeks ago - and it has been picked up by about a dozen other sites - so those are very worthwhile links.

Yep, that's a good article - tweak your titles and descriptions - and remember, the title and description to EVERY page is just as important.
              Beth
              A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
              SEO - The Basics

Comment

Terri, thanks for the kind words. I just copy and paste these articles because some are very informative...Note that I always keep the name of
                the original author within the article, they deserve it.

Beth, Thanks for popping in, glad that you had a Laugh and dont feel embarassed because everything said, was and is true. Just look at what you added......thanks.
                Have fun
                Regards..... David

Comment

Originally posted by davidundalicia
                  Terri, thanks for the kind words. I just copy and paste these articles because some are very informative...Note that I always keep the name of
                  the original author within the article, they deserve it.

Beth, Thanks for popping in, glad that you had a Laugh and dont feel embarassed because everything said, was and is true. Just look at what you added......thanks.
                  David, Not only do they deserve it - but you could be infringing on copyright laws if you didn't give credit. Lots of times, I give links to the articles instead of copying them - so I know I won't be causing trouble.

And you're very welcome - btw, you can get free accounts and put in press releases at www.prleap.com and www.prweb.com - again, read their rules and follow them - as well as making sure it's newsworthy. Here's a link to one I've written (not for my own sites): http://www.prweb.com/releases/2006/4/prweb377666.htm
                  Beth

SEO and Marketing Tools
                  SEO - The Basics

Comment

Thank you
                    -------------------------------------------
                    Shelly

www.ohs****sagleidaho.com

Comment

OH MYGOSH BETH! prweb is one of the first places I was able to use on my rss feeder. It sure would be funny if one of your articles was one I streamed! Small world.
                      Terri
                      www.ice-tropic.com
                      www.janebondtravel.com
                      www.theazfoodcritic.com

Comment

It really is a small world! And write yourself a press release Terri - I think the AZ Food Critic would be easy to write one about (after you get more of the pages with info on them :) ) - I need to look to see what else you've been doing on there :)
                        Beth

SEO and Marketing Tools
                        SEO - The Basics

Comment

Thanks Beth,

Very good advice, I hadn't even thought about that. Haven't done much with it as I'm working on the new one, but I do have some on the Spirits section (NATURALLY) and a few more reviews. It's really just a venting site, or as the hubby likes to say, I get to proselytize. Thanks for your great ideas.
                          Terri
                          www.ice-tropic.com
                          www.janebondtravel.com
                          www.theazfoodcritic.com

Comment

Thnx for the links Beth

Right now I'm just working on linking up my site as you suggested.
                            As far as writing and submitting a news release..lol...that's not quite my strong suite. I read the one you did. WOW, Very impressive.

I ended up modifying my titles and description again after David posted this article, although as I mentioned already. I'm extremely happy with the results I have so far in the short span of time the site was submitted.

On Google I'm getting 1st place on some of the keywords and some in the top 8.
                            On Msn....Well let's just say I love MSN now..hehe
                            Yahoo.ca also I’m very happy with the results.
                            yahoo.com is the only one I haven't got the results I would like.
                            I'm also on allthe web, altavista, Aol etc..

Thnx again for sharing this article David.
                            Beth, what can I say. You're a miracle worker.

Mike

Comment

Great way to go mike.....What a fantastic team we have here at VH.

but, watch your results for a few days and if they start slipping, go back to what actually works......
                              If not, then job well done...........
                              Have fun
                              Regards..... David

Comment

Working...
                              X