Cascading or Hopping Links

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cascading or Hopping Links

Using all correct data entry I cannot get a linked page to link onward to another succeeding page. I've verified the URL; saved and published backwards and forwards, making sure all pages were published. The strange thing is that the preview in browser works fine. Dale

Re: Cascading or Hopping Links

Dale, post your URL so someone can have a look for you :o)

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Originally posted by Girlonthehill
      Dale, post your URL so someone can have a look for you :o)
      The Uniform Resource Language for Dale DeWitt is www.daledewitt.com

Comment

dale,

Your first page is index and appears just fine when your URL is called.

Your "Above the Beach" link opens to html page with picture on it- a very large picture. Other pictures are also on an html page. So it appears that your linking is working.

However- it is very difficult to navigate your site. I would suggest that you create some sort of menu and link to the pages with pictures on them from that menu. Also- it is most popular to keep your web pages with in 800 pixels wide and then re-size your photos to fit on that page. Here is a link to tutorials / examples on picture display;
        http://netisopen.com/computer/PICT001/PT001.html

Once you create pages- link to them as you already are only via a menu of some sort. I really don't understand your comment of linking to a succeeding page. On the bottom of the BV web builder there are video tutorials that are very helpful and explain many things in detail.

Hope that is of some help.

Andy
        PHP- is a blast!

Comment

Originally posted by Andy128
          dale,

Your first page is index and appears just fine when your URL is called.

Your "Above the Beach" link opens to html page with picture on it- a very large picture. Other pictures are also on an html page. So it appears that your linking is working.

However- it is very difficult to navigate your site. I would suggest that you create some sort of menu and link to the pages with pictures on them from that menu. Also- it is most popular to keep your web pages with in 800 pixels wide and then re-size your photos to fit on that page. Here is a link to tutorials / examples on picture display;
          http://netisopen.com/computer/PICT001/PT001.html

Once you create pages- link to them as you already are only via a menu of some sort. I really don't understand your comment of linking to a succeeding page. On the bottom of the BV web builder there are video tutorials that are very helpful and explain many things in detail.

Hope that is of some help.

Andy
          Thanks for the multitude of kind suggestions. I hope you can tell the site is a prelimiinary experiment. I'll get to resizing the pictures later as well as compacting with a single hub page. What you didn't notice was that the last desert satellite photo was intended to link to another snow peak picture. I was thinking maybe since it was a linked picture, that maybe it couldn't link futher. That's the question I was alluding to.

Comment

Dale,

It appears that you have placed one picture per page and then link one picture to the next page that another picture is on.... Then the viewer clicks on that picture and is linked to another page with a picture on it.

So you go: picture > page picture > page picture > page etc...

Yes- you can do this forever if you wish.

Andy
            PHP- is a blast!

Comment

That's how Robinson Crusoe got lost...
              Navaldesign
              Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
              Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
              DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
              Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Originally posted by navaldesign
                That's how Robinson Crusoe got lost...
                That wise truism aside, I'm trying to bask in a pallete of unconvention. I just want to create a mess and then organize as curators do to modern art?

Comment

Originally posted by Dale DeWitt
                  That wise truism aside, I'm trying to bask in a pallete of unconvention. I just want to create a mess and then organize as curators do to modern art?
                  It sounds like you're planning to have some whacky fun with your site, but remember that your viewers may feel uncomfortable in a site that is difficult to navigate. I wouldn't stay around. Just a thought.... Good luck.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                  1-302-283-3777 North America / International
                  02036089024 / United Kingdom
                  291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Originally posted by Andy128
                    Dale,

It appears that you have placed one picture per page and then link one picture to the next page that another picture is on.... Then the viewer clicks on that picture and is linked to another page with a picture on it.

So you go: picture > page picture > page picture > page etc...

Yes- you can do this forever if you wish.

Andy
                    I had the account reset from a Soholauch bungled download . . . and since the web page was only in directory form I decided to reconstruct using a drop down menu as you had hinted for my sound/pictures pages. I wasn't able to extend the sound outside the immediate sound/page as originally I was able to do. But at least when killing the last linked page all pages were removed in one fell swoop. (alas, it was nice having the sound follow me as I meandered (or got lost) moving from link to link))

I was able to look at your homepage and found a lot of web rot. I especially enjoyed your alternate periodic table of elements.

Thanks for the input. Dale

Comment

Originally posted by Girlonthehill
                      It sounds like you're planning to have some whacky fun with your site, but remember that your viewers may feel uncomfortable in a site that is difficult to navigate. I wouldn't stay around. Just a thought.... Good luck.
                      Objective input is appreciated. That's what allows for natural selection to change the scenery. Your obviously right when shopping. I'm probably more impatient with site esthetic/speed of manipulation than most. I just want to get the functions mastered right now. (I like blunt impression, some do not; )

Comment

The meaning of my comment, was that people who surf the net want to get information, or buy something, or just have fun. But all surfers want to have controll of what they are doing. Which means that they will probably not like the fact that they will have to follow a pre-determined tour on your site, and that's excactly what you are getting if you use such a navigation. Suppose that you have 100 pages with 100 images on your site. Will you oblige them to follow all the pages to get, let's say to the last 10 ones? And if they have found interesting the 20th one, will they have to go ahead to the 100th, and then again from 1 to 20 ? They will abbandon your site in 30 seconds.
                        Leaving appart the choice, which is your's and no one else's, if you want to have the background music continue, just use one page, make an Iframe in it, and get the rest of the content in the iframe.
                        Navaldesign
                        Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
                        DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
                        Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Originally posted by navaldesign
                          The meaning of my comment, was that people who surf the net want to get information, or buy something, or just have fun. But all surfers want to have controll of what they are doing. Which means that they will probably not like the fact that they will have to follow a pre-determined tour on your site, and that's excactly what you are getting if you use such a navigation. Suppose that you have 100 pages with 100 images on your site. Will you oblige them to follow all the pages to get, let's say to the last 10 ones? And if they have found interesting the 20th one, will they have to go ahead to the 100th, and then again from 1 to 20 ? They will abbandon your site in 30 seconds.
                          Leaving appart the choice, which is your's and no one else's, if you want to have the background music continue, just use one page, make an Iframe in it, and get the rest of the content in the iframe.
                          I've got a quick question in terms of the go menu. If I load mp3's to the public_HTML folder in my account FTP is there a way to link directly to those files, say just as the video tutorial did for linking to Google. Or, do I have to link to a published page where the media player is residing with the mp3 file? I ask this because from the Go Menu Properties box, when one clicks Add, the Add Go Menu Item pops up and one can then Browse for a file. Clicking this gives one to believe most all file types can be linked . . . and voila, my mp3 file is such. But, after experimenting with this all I'd found was that the Go Menu would not publish, plain and simple. Even loaded with the mp3 links it would appear without functionality in the preview in browser and would absolutely not publish. FTP being preloaded with the mp3 files in the correct folder. (i.e., public_HTML)

I'm working on the navigation issue since I hearily agree that desert islands can be lonely. Conversely, most programming takes place when someone tells you something cannot be done this or that way. Now as to the issue of control in surfing. I started out with the idea of making sure images were clickable. (Luckily I've not been eaten by any hungary cats just yet.) Discount my method for one reason alone. I want to experiment. The fact of my methodology is that I want some element of surprise. I don't want to give that up completely. One last question. What is an Iframe? Dale

Comment

Forget the question on Iframes. I didn't see where it was in the tutorials.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale DeWitt
                              I've got a quick question in terms of the go menu. If I load mp3's to the public_HTML folder in my account FTP is there a way to link directly to those files, say just as the video tutorial did for linking to Google. Or, do I have to link to a published page where the media player is residing with the mp3 file? I ask this because from the Go Menu Properties box, when one clicks Add, the Add Go Menu Item pops up and one can then Browse for a file. Clicking this gives one to believe most all file types can be linked . . . and voila, my mp3 file is such. But, after experimenting with this all I'd found was that the Go Menu would not publish, plain and simple. Even loaded with the mp3 links it would appear without functionality in the preview in browser and would absolutely not publish. FTP being preloaded with the mp3 files in the correct folder. (i.e., public_HTML)

I'm working on the navigation issue since I hearily agree that desert islands can be lonely. Conversely, most programming takes place when someone tells you something cannot be done this or that way. Now as to the issue of control in surfing. I started out with the idea of making sure images were clickable. (Luckily I've not been eaten by any hungary cats just yet.) Discount my method for one reason alone. I want to experiment. The fact of my methodology is that I want some element of surprise. I don't want to give that up completely. One last question. What is an Iframe? Dale
                              For MP3s: upload the single mp3 files on your site, using BlueFTP. They don't necessarily have to be in public_html, for organisation purposes you can also create a folder where to upload your mp3s. Then just link them, through a Go Menu, or text links, or whatever else you want, even images. The link should be: http://www.yoursite.com/mp3folder/mp3name.pm3 changing "mp3folder" with the actuall folder name (if you use one) and "mp3name" with thw actuall name of your mp3 file. The same goes also for any other kind of files. When they click on the link, the file will be opened in their media player.
                              Navaldesign

Comment

Working...
                              X