Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any advice for better keyword rankings??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any advice for better keyword rankings??

Hi everyone.....

i just added more content on my webpage in an effort to get better rankings on alexa and someday be seen on yahoo or google. As i was reading the posts i noticed that (alien) mentioned www.widexl.com .... so i went thier and tried my results and here they are...

1. "Title": "content" is at 57% (red) <--- any suggestions on how to fix?

2. "Description": tag has 139 (green) <--- i think im ok here.

3. "keywords": tag contains to many "charactors". (red) (188...max should be 500
    (Charactors?? what are they even talkin about?.. what charactors?)

4. "keywords": tag contains to many "keywords". (red) 48 ..max should be 20
    (Is this accurate? only 20 allowed?? if so which ones should i keep? should i s**** the ones that have super high competition? and just use my niche keywords)

5. "keyword": tag contains "stop words" (orange) ......the,at,to,from,make
    (does this mean if i have.."work at home business", that i should just ditch the word "at" and type in "work home business" ??)

6. Keyword: tag contains "popular words" (orange) "best and free"
    (so should i remove all keywords with these in them??)

7. keyword: "relavancy page content" fair (red) at 69%
    (should or do i need to insert more keywords in my content after new ones are inserted??)

8. Author: tag contains 16.. (green) i guess i spelt my name right..lol.:)

Well thats the break down it gave me ,and what im asking for is if someone could help me figure out how to add the right keywords and answer these Questions in "LAYMAN" terms please im not an internet guru..just yet. I would be able to get out of the 3 million ranking that alexa has given me,(which was at 4 mil before i added content and dumped most of the banners i had.) i would ask anyone who has had good success in ranking to give me any and all advise they can. i have listed my web site down below. i appreciate any help somone could give.

thank you
    malcolm1

http://www.biz-giant.com

Malcolm Pender

Re: Any advice for better keyword rankings??

You need to re-do a lot. First, you don't put ANY words in the keyword meta that are not on THAT page. And no page should really be going for more than 3-5 keywords/keyword phrases. Add the plurals and you'll be at 6-10 - so 20 as a max is a good idea. Your description should be different on each page, should use the top keywords for the page - and should accurately describe what will be found on the page. The title should be your top keywords -

I'm not sure what your site is about - but worrying about your Alexa ranking is not worth it. Alexa is really about business to business - so, again, unless that's what your site is - that's not a big concern.

How you write the text on your pages if of VERY big importance. It best be original and not spammy - and be good for the people coming to your site - in other words, it best not be written for the se's first. Write all this for your visitors/customers first - then double-check it for the se's.

As to words like at, etc in keywords - if you do searches on the keyword trackers - those words are not included - se's ignore them - so they don't do you any good. For using on the page, you would use "work at home business" - but in your keywords, you'd most likely have work, home business.

Hope this helps.
    Beth
    A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
    SEO - The Basics

Comment

Hi Beth, I did as you and Amanda advised me few days ago, and I got 100% on title, keywords and page description.
      Also Davidindalicia was involved in geting mo on the right track.
      Thank you again
      Ciao
      Alas

Comment

thanks for the very helpful input. i have redone all keywords and will continue to try and tweek it some more. i have been trying to find niche keywords to use but most are already worthless. for instance "home based business" is like worthless, over 10 million others are using it and comes back very poor,but i did find some and am using them. here are the new stats:

title meta tags contains no errors tag is at.. 80 ..GREEN
        title relavancy to page is (very good) content shows 82%

description: meta tag no errors. Green tag contains 127 charactors
        description to relavancy to page content is very good 85%

keywords: tag no errors...Green
        keywords tag contains 20 keywords and 336 charactors
        keywords: relavancy to page content is good 80% <--need to improve

Robots: found no robots meta tag. (says not needed but helpful to robots)orange

like i said i will be trying to fine tune this a little more and try and find some more niche keywords to enhance the keywords list. i will keep ya posted on how good the final results are. thank you very much for all your help!

Malcolm Pender

Comment

I just published my site last night, could someone take a look at my keywords and let me know how sadly they are lacking? if that is possible
          I really want to make a strong go with my website.

sugarplum
          www.sugarplumstudios.com

Comment

Sugarplum, First - and you probably don't want to hear this - grand opening sales on line are not a good thing. People shopping online want to believe you've been there for a long time. So, get rid of that LOL - you can still do specials, but you don't have to say it's because you're new.

Now, if you happen to have a real brick and mortar store and this is your first time bringing it online, then you can try to do what you are.

So - get rid of anything saying new, etc etc.

Now, as to your question about meta - obviously they don't match the page right now - because you haven't written the page as it needs to be written - which should be as it will be when you are finished - and it could hurt you with se's in the meantime because the meta doesn't match the page.

You also have no title on the page - except index - and you need the page to have your best keywords in the title.

Here's what you have in your description: Vintage inspired with a Shabby Chic appeal Boutique infant headband and **** sets

My question to you - is anyone searching using those words? Unfortunately, I don't see the words vintage or shabby chic used with the word infant in ANY searches - which means you need to rethink - as it does you no good to come in first for keywords and phrases that no one is using - unless you also are using words and terms they ARE using and are placing well for those, too.
            Beth

SEO and Marketing Tools
            SEO - The Basics

Comment

Very good! That is exactly what I was wanting to hear, good sound advice, I will try and tweek everything you have suggested.
              Thanks so much

sugarplum

Comment

Bethers,

I went in and did some revisions, how does it look now? And yes I really agree, it did sound rather lame and unstructured.
                Again, thanks for the critique

sugarplum

Comment

It's doing better - more suggestions - use your name with the spaces in it - the url doesn't have them because it can't - but no reason you can't make it look good and natural - your name is Sugar Plum Studios not SugarPlumStudios - also, in your title - the keywords should be first - so Baby ***** | Headbands from Sugar Plum Studios would be better.

I tried to go to the gallery - but after 2 minutes of waiting for your header to download, I closed it - you need to optimize that pic very badly. Also, you need a title on that page other than Untitled Page.

Remember, the se's see the page if you publish it - and that's what the info is you're giving them - not something they'll want to come right back to see again soon.
                  Beth

SEO and Marketing Tools
                  SEO - The Basics

Comment

Bethers,

Thank you so much, your advise is very appreciated.

sugarplum

Comment

0k.... ive been working on getting better ranking words and tweeking the site and here are the new numbers...

TITLE: title meta tag contains no errors 80 charactors.... GREEN
                      title relevancy to page content is VERY GOOD now at 89%

DESCRIPTION: meta no errors 127 charactors....GREEN
                      Description relavancy to page content is VERY GOOD at 87%

KEYWORDS: meta tag contains no errors....GREEN 20 keywords
                      keyword relavency to page content is Good and at 85%

I thank you very much for your generous help and time in explaining the keyword problems i was having. i know you also told me not concern myself with the (alexa rankings) but its the only way i truely know if im getting better results or not by the numerical figures that it offers.

Heres the OLD numbers and the NEW that im now getting back....

OLD # 4,945,513 alexa rankings.... before optimizing keywords and title

NEW # 1,730,543 alexa rankings.....after optimizing keywords and title

As everyone knows of course the lower the number the better your ranking. "while many would say those numbers are still not impressive", because for alexa you must be below 100,000 to be competitive.... its the fact that making those changes dramatically changed the overall rank.
                      again much thanks to you for all your help!

I will keep "tweeking" the keywords in an attempt to get all to 95-100%

OK... now in an effort to gain link popularity i have added pages to my site 1 page that IS called links which will be to link up with other sites for better popularity and 2 others for adding richer content and.. ect ect.

QUESTION ?: Do i use the same keywords for these new pages in other words..(do i copy and paste from index to new pages) OR can i add 20 more different keywords like mispelled ones or totally different from the ones in index page or front page.

any help you or anyone else could give would be greatly appreciated.

Malcolm Pender

Comment

Well I haven't been around much latley so what the hell. I will just view your index page.

1. Lets begin with spelling based on the Oxford English Dictionary:

doesnt >> doesn't or better does not

thereselves >> themselves

possably >> possibly

isnt >> isn't or better is not

tomarrow >> tomorrow

thier >> their

wouldnt >> wouldn't or better would not

DOESNT >> does't or does not

Entreprenuer >> entrepreneur

This is just a brief list, there are more.

2. Content I wouldn't elaborate too much but this phrase"Your home based business opportunity is here and can and will get you out of debt" the word "your" should be takin out its' a stop word. In fact the whole phrase should be redone too many stop words. It will drive down your relative content.

3. Page is to wide 800px across maximum.

4. Keywords 250-260 max the keywords used should be relative to your content. Stop words like your, to, it, what, on, ect... are not keywords.

5.source code I see <META http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1">
                        <TITLE>xww.biz-giant.com profitable home based business with proven income opportunity.</TITLE>

The title should reside before characterset.

I hope this may help a little. I can rattle on all day about this stuff, seo is complex, but there are basic rules to follow. Take the time to learn it is well worth it. Rock on!!! pet121

Comment

Well i thank you for your advice and help pet121. i will try and change what you have suggested to see if i can get better rankings. im not a pro at this web building but want to learn so.... i was wondering is there a link you could toss me with:
                          "what the common STOP words are"? and are you refering to content or keywords or title or all?
                          you also mentioned that the page is too wide. i have a 19in screen and have tried doing the 800 pix thing but it always looks like its lope sided (to much on one side and a big space on the other) how can i fix this?

Im also going to check on all of my spelling typos thanks for your vision, ive seen so much of the page i think i got tunnel vision....lol.

also you made refrence on number 5 about the source code? are you saying that www.biz-giant.com should be removed or that the domain name should go after the sentence. sorry please use layman terms i get confused if ya get to techy wit it.

when i fix my typo mistakes i will re post for your inspection.

thank you for your insight and help!

thanks again
                          malcolm1

Malcolm Pender

Comment

Its best to minimize stop words it demonstrates good writing skills, something the search engines look for. Sometimes however, using stop words can be quite unaviodable.

No site is without errors. Far as page width goes not everybody has a 19" moniter, having dead spaces/margins is a good thing. There are a lot of labtops out there that use smaller moniters.

In the source code what I mean is what is called your nested elements in your head tag. The page title should always come first.

For example,

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
                            <HTML>
                            <HEAD>
                            <TITLE>blah blah blah</TITLE>
                            <META name="AUTHOR" content="yoursite.com">--------------or your name, company ect..
                            <META name="KEYWORDS" content="max number keywords 250">
                            <META name="DESCRIPTION" content="put your description hear">
                            <META name="GENERATOR" content="Created by BlueVoda">
                            <META http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1">
                            <META name="Robots" content="INDEX,FOLLOW"> ----------------- its'up to you?
                            <meta name="googlebot" content="INDEX, FOLLOW" />-------------- its up to you?

I hope this helps, BlueVoda gives you all the tools to have a great website. SEO is something that takes a little time to learn. But there is vodabids for seo work.
                            The above example is commom example of good head elements order.

pet121

Comment

Your question about meta - it should NEVER be the same from one page to the next - as each page should have different and unique content and each page sould be optimizing completelyl different words (in most cases). You only dilute the effect on one page if you use the same keywords on the others. And, believe me, there are many keyword phrases you can optimize for.

And pet's comments about spelling are very important - the se's DO look at spelling and grammar and count it in their ranking of you - which you may never see.

I am not a believer in the need for meta keywords at all - HOWEVER, if you are going to use that meta - make sure you use it right - cuz the major se's won't use it to help you - but WILL use it to hurt you if they feel you use it to spam.

The only meta I say you should always still use are the title and description. Make these work well, and optimize your pages internally - and they will still help you.
                              Beth

SEO and Marketing Tools
                              SEO - The Basics

Comment

Working...
                              X