Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie here, my "little" site is published. YEAH!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie here, my "little" site is published. YEAH!!!!

I am extremely new to this, but after submitting 5 tickets in 20 mins and alot of very competent advice, I finaly have my "little" 2 page site published. I may have to go in and reduce my photos because I did notice that it loaded very slowly. What would be a good size to reduce to? 350?
    other than having to add the other categories such as about me, shoppe, Contact Us.. etc. and my shopping cart, I have it finaly up. Yeah!!!!!!!
    Can someone tell me if it is centering at least some what correctly?
    Please take a look!

~sugarplum~
    www.sugarplumstudios.com

Re: Newbie here, my "little" site is published. YEAH!!!!

Greetings Sugarplum-

Your site is beautiful! You have been working hard. The pictures are very nice- but too big for web page load times. Here is a link to a tutorial on displaying pictures. It gives examples of sizes along with two programs to re-size photos.
    http://netisopen.com/computer/PICT001/PT001.html

I suggest that you try to stick around the 320 X 240 range max- smaller would be better. Don't worry about quality- using the resize programs will keep the quality. One of your pictures was 600 X 800 which is the size of a typical web page! So do some expirementing.

Also- on your Gallery page- the picture is overlaping the word Gallery-
    Check it out- this is what I am seeing;
    http://netisopen.com/test/sugarplum.html

You are on the right track- It really is beautiful.

See ya on the forum,

Andy
    PHP- is a blast!

Comment

Doing a real good job,
      The down side with web & pictures, will always be slow loading pages, especially if you have a few pictures on one page. Until we all get up to 8 to 10 Meg speed to compensate for this we are better of using smaller pictures & linking each one to a pop up. Or just having 1 good picture per page. If every one that sees your site has broadband, it won’t be so slow. But if on dial up, it may take some waiting.
      Have a look at the roll over & picture gallery on the menu bar on the left of BV. A good size to look at for fast loading pages is about 100 to 150kb in total for the page. To give you an idea, your front page loads quite quick, as the image is only about 75kb. But when you go to
      The gallery you have 14 images at about 150kb each + the page. Bit to much for a web page.
      You can get a nice looking picture for a web page down to about 60kb.

Good luck

Chris.
      Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Hi sugerplum,
        The photos are large and on your photo page you have some overlapping, but I just love what you do. You will get there. Good Luck
        Sharon Chajin

Comment

Your site is off to a lovely start, I love your creations. Sharon is correct, there is some overlapping but you can fix that. Let me know if you would like to link, when you get to that point. Good luck!
          Karen
          http://www.quiltedtoatea.com
          http://www.quiltedtoatea.com/blog
          http://www.toadstoolteaparties.com
          http://www.myteatimefun.com

Comment

thank you everyone for your advice. the overlapping does not show up on my screen but I did try to fix that, but I have no idea if it worked or not, I did go in and change all the photos on the gallery to the "gallery option." I have one question, is there a way to say my text as a picture so that the Bambino font shows up and not the default Ariel?

And Karen, I would LOVE to do a link with you, my goal is to be a fully functional selling site by the first of August. I will let you know.

Thanks for looking
            ~sugarplum~

Comment

You fixed the overlap but the "Our Gallery" text is shifting I believe. Yes you can save the text as a picture and then place on your page. It is rather complicated but I will help you if you like. First- what size are you looking to have "Our Gallery"? Second- Where did you get Bambino font as I cannot find it in BV? Did you use something else?

Also- in moving your stuff around- the width of the site has gotten large. Make sure to check the width in page properties each time before publishing- 800 width is the prefered.

You may want to check out the many fonts and text displays at
              http://www.cooltext.com also.

Andy
              PHP- is a blast!

Comment

yes the Bambino is installed on my PC, I guess I could use Papyrus that may be a more common font for all. You said you know how to save as a pic?

sugaplum

Comment

Yes- What size ar you looking for the font to be? I am afraid we will be limited to the font avaliable in the BV program. So if there is one you like- let me know which one and what size font you would like. I will then try to save as a pic for you.

Andy
                  PHP- is a blast!

Comment

sugarplum,

If you want the Bambino font, type it in a word document the size you want and then e-mail it to me at;
                    keith@netisopen.com

I will see what I can do.

Andy
                    PHP- is a blast!

Comment

Andy,
                      would Papyrus be an option? I had in mind something a little different than the standard ones BV offered. but I dont want the default to show at all

sugarplum

Comment

Sure-

Type what you want on a word document in the font and size you want and then e-mail it to me. Put both fonts on there if you like but make sure to space them apart by at least qtr page.
                        E-mail the document to me at;
                        keith@netisopen.com

Andy
                        PHP- is a blast!

Comment

Hi sugerplum,
                          just looked over page's looking very good. the pictures are loading slow here like every one has said.
                          there is many different ways of slowing your pitures in gallerys some useing script that link to the image then showing the image on your page in any form you like.. you also do not have to use the standard popup window, which can look a bit ugly. Take a look in area 51 under Gallerys to see what i mean.

Comment

I'm sorry, but I am not finding that information. would you be so kind as to point me in the right direction?

Comment

Sorry
                              the link below this.

Comment

Working...
                              X