PDA

View Full Version : Shopping Cart question

David Marshall
05-30-2006, 11:33 AM
Hi

Name david Marshall. id 5282 website consciouscreation.co.uk

I hope this is the right place to ask:

I have a growing number sites and wondered if I could have one shopping cart/facility where all sites could go to for payment, rather than having a cart on each site? I presume that is possible, if so can I use the carts on BV for this?

cheers

dave

Bluenose
05-30-2006, 11:46 AM
can you not just install the one cart, then when shopping on ALL your other sites, make sure the link points to the one cart you have installed? Even though your cart is installed in sub directory of one site, shouldnt matter, then end product will be the same from all sites that are linked to it, money for you !!!!!

This would work, but not sure if that is what you want!

Collectors-info
05-30-2006, 11:55 AM
I cant see a problem as its only a link from any site to the index page of the cart. The only small thing i cant work out! is when someone leaves your cart i am not sure how you would send them back to the site they came from. The only thing i can think of, is when you place a link in any one of your sites to the cart, make sure the link opens in a new window so when they leave the cart, your site is still in the background. Some one may say there is a better way?

Chris

David Marshall
05-30-2006, 11:57 AM
Hi,

thanks for the reply. Yes that is what I was thinking, but am fairly new to BV. Do you know which of the BV products would be best suited? I think that the shopping carts BV offers are not secure and that I would have to create an account with a payment gateway too. I was thinking of paypal but it does require the client to create an account and that is just another barrier to payment. I am seeking the simplest solution, that is not paypal, as I am not a techie,

cheers

dave

Collectors-info
05-30-2006, 03:23 PM
Hi Dave.
I havenít got a cart as yet, but have been looking at cube cart. . (Not sure if this one is free) But if not, its only $70.00. The thing I like about this one, is you stay on the same page & your items & your totals just show up in the corner on the same page until you check out.
Can drive you mad if the cart keeps changing pages for every item.
Taking payments is another story. Donít try taking payments via credit cards using email & donít store this type of info on site. Pay pal or Nochex is as I can see it, the cheapest way & most secure. Nochex is slightly cheaper. If you start taking payments on line in other ways you will have to install SSL security on the site (or was it SLL) As for the client having to create an account with pay pal! They donít have to. When you go to pay pal they ask for this 1st, but when you get to the next page in pay pal it will give you a choice of pay by pay pal or just by credit card. I believe this only happens if you have business account. Would be worth saying on your site, NO account needed for paypal & explain how it works.
I set up a onother bis AC: 2 days ago & had no problem. Took about 5mins

Good luck.

Chris

Bluenose
05-30-2006, 03:38 PM
Hi,

thanks for the reply. Yes that is what I was thinking, but am fairly new to BV. Do you know which of the BV products would be best suited? I think that the shopping carts BV offers are not secure and that I would have to create an account with a payment gateway too. I was thinking of paypal but it does require the client to create an account and that is just another barrier to payment. I am seeking the simplest solution, that is not paypal, as I am not a techie,

cheers

dave

If you set up a merchant account with Paypal it allows you to accept credit card payments as well as the usual payments, and the buyer DOES NOT need to have a paypal account as well. All they will see is a way to pay !!!

David Marshall
05-30-2006, 06:22 PM
thanks for all your posts.

I will check out what you said bluenose, if there is no need for a buyer to have a paypal account that solves my issue,

many thanks

Dave

allstarfaces
05-30-2006, 06:36 PM
may i suggest you do a search at the top of forum and look up a few posts by bethers on her advice about carts it is of interest

CarbonTerry
05-30-2006, 07:49 PM
Paypal does not require a buyer to be a member. PayPal will accept credit cards also. See:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_wp-standard-overview-outside

David Marshall
05-30-2006, 10:40 PM
thanks carbon,

yes i am going to use paypal at the moment. I did not realise that there was shopping carts and all sorts that I could use and of course that a client can use paypal without an account. I did look at Bethers (wise woman) posts but at the minute I think it is simpler to use paypal as a gateway and I may use one of their shopping carts. Not sophisticated but I am selling only a few services at the moment,

cheers and thanks for the replies, great support as usual!!!!!!!

dave

Bethers
05-31-2006, 01:29 AM
Yes you could do what you asked. But, there are a couple things to consider - people get nervous when they leave to pay elsewhere - so it would be very important that they know where they are going and why. I've considered doing similar with my family of stores.

Also, and I am a believer in Paypal - if you can afford to get a merchant account - you can increase sales by doing so - however, I suggest you wait until you are seeing sales first. Just remember, while paypal is big - most of the world still doesn't shop on eBay or use paypal and don't like leaving the site to do so. Just a fact of life. That said - it is growing constantly and with the new relationship with Yahoo - I think it will continue to grow in popularity outside of regular merchant accounts. That said - with a small amount of sales, paypal is cheaper than a merchant account - but as sales grow - a merchant account (good ones, anyway) become cheaper than using paypal (who has higher per sale fees.)

CarbonTerry
05-31-2006, 04:21 AM
Good info Bethers. Paypal becomes slightly more expensive around the $2000-$3000 per month in sales. My business is highly seasonal. I hate paying those fees when sales are very low.

David Marshall
05-31-2006, 08:56 PM
to be honest bethers I would rather not use paypal for those reasons. My main issue is my ability to create the cart etc. Blue Voda is faaaaaaab and I have created a couple of nice sites but shopping carts etc are simply new territory that leaves me rather nervous.

I do agree with what you say though so mabye I will have another look!

cheers

Dave

VodaHost
05-31-2006, 09:03 PM
There is nothing wrong with PayPal and they are very competative when
it comes to pricing.

David Marshall
05-31-2006, 09:11 PM
do you not think that the public perception is different between paypal and other known gateways, or is it that MY perception is off! which it quite possibly true of course!!

cheers

Dave

Bethers
06-01-2006, 12:02 AM
Well, tests have shown that a site with Paypal and an identical site with a standard merchant account - will do better with the merchant account. I have a site that has both - my paypal sales are less than 1.5% of my sales - and I dropped it recently. Again, it's a good thing - but there are people like you Dave who have that perception - and, unlike above, I see that my prices with my merchant account are cheaper at a much lower rate - around $500/month in sales makes the merchant account less for me.

Dave - I use a merchant account with BV - there are ones that will work - Mal's Ecommerce is one - the one I use is Cart Manager. Mal's has a free version, Cart Manager doesn't.

*****, I'm not saying that Paypal isn't a great service - but they still have only a small market share of the world's sales - growing constantly, yes.

CarbonTerry
06-01-2006, 12:25 AM
PayPal is an extremely small part of my sales also. However, they accept all credit cards and provide a secure site. Personally, I would not hesitate to complete a sale if I were directed to PayPal to make an online purchase. You are essentially being directed to another site when using a 3rd party ecommerce site.
Are the other ecommerce sites mentioned secure, or is that an add on?

VodaHost
06-01-2006, 12:26 AM
Not really if you think about it, PayPal is a multi-billion dollar company
that is owned by another multi-billion dollar company Ebay.

CarbonTerry
06-01-2006, 12:27 AM
I'm not quite sure why sales would go down when you are adding another payment method. Right now I have a merchant account and a personal PayPal account. I consider anything purchased through P/P to be more profit.

Bethers
06-01-2006, 12:43 AM
No, they will not go down adding an additional one - I was saying I recommend have more than one when using paypal.

Some people consider eBay a discount site - and therefore consider paypal the same - and you do leave your site to purchase on paypal. For those comfortable with paypal it's a great thing. For those not - a traditional method is better. Because I know that my merchant account only will allow me to use it with secure and good carts - my cart is very secure, I'm comfortable in that knowledge.

Amanda uses Paypal and Mal's ecommerce for her shopping cart - I'm sure it's secure also.

David Marshall
06-01-2006, 09:37 AM
Carbonterry,

i suppose the question is about would you get more sales and therefore even more profit with another payment system. For me personally I think that someone like Worldpay have a better image than paypal who seem to me to be at the cheaper end of the market, so it is about perception and ease of payment. Maybe it is about perception only and nothing to with practicalities.

I am going to think about it some more. Bethers, you shopping cart is cart manager, who is payments through please?

cheers

dave

Bethers
06-01-2006, 06:44 PM
I'm using Authorize.net as my processor and am very happy with them - however, they may not work outside the US - of that I have no knowledge :( sorry.

David Marshall
06-01-2006, 07:15 PM
thanks bethers

cheers

dave

Vasili
06-17-2006, 04:43 AM
Besides the actual costs involved per transaction between PayPal and traditional commercial credit accounts (a business merchant account available from various banks, processors, etc.), and the superficial nuances of presenting either or both to specific markets, there is the accounting issue and feasibility of how your business is structured.
Some business models stipulate certain payment accounting methods (incorporations, for instance), and sometimes the funding methods via PayPal pose unique issues (which account, how to filter/mate with trans post, etc). Also, whether or not your system of transactional accountability can effectively collect and process the data as required, for there have been some problems merging...say... QuickBooks with PayPal (for instance) and then through the gateway (or payment network) already established by your bank....
It's best to think it through all the way before committing too quickly.

***Don't be afraid to ask a competitor or similarly establsihed business for some tips. Most of the time, they see this as an opportunity to brag about their success, but they will also be honest about the challenges they found (facts can be verified), and hearing about them before you encounter them makes it so much easier to avoid them in the first place!