Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I create a customized website in Soho?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I create a customized website in Soho?

I have been building a site www.rehobothcbf.org using BV and feel that I might be better served using Soho for the calendar and commerce tool (amoung other things).

1: Do I have to use generic site templates only can I create custom templates similar to what I already have on my BV site?

2: I read the "Soho - Read this first" link and I'm still a bit buzzy on what is mean by a "clean" install in the root directory.

3. If I were to switch to Soho, how long does it take once I issue a ticket?

4. Will switching clear my existing website work?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Re: Can I create a customized website in Soho?

1: Do I have to use generic site templates only can I create custom templates similar to what I already have on my BV site?

Soho comes with a collection of ready made templates. You can also create your own, but this Template builder is only limited to chosing one of the four available schemes, changing the background colour and loading your own logo. Even that is limited: the image size cannot be modified. Definately, not as easy and cusomizable as BV

2: I read the "Soho - Read this first" link and I'm still a bit buzzy on what is mean by a "clean" install in the root directory.

It means that you need to have a clean public_html folder. Alternatively, you can install Soho in a subfolder, called f.e. "Soho", and create a redirect from your BV index page to get the visitors to the Soho folder. Anyway, that's not so good for SE. So if you decide to go on with Soho, have your site reset by submiting a support ticket and asking the help desk to do so for you.

3. If I were to switch to Soho, how long does it take once I issue a ticket?

Coluld be some hours, or a day, depending on the help desk work load.

4. Will switching clear my existing website work?

If you opt for the reset of your site, yes. If you install it in a subfolder, no.
    Navaldesign
    Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
    Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
    DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
    Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Thanks Major General! You're an officer & a gentleman.

Well, back to work! Peace.

Comment

ND,

Since you're already a genius!

5. I'm havin' trouble reaching my control panel also. My control panel url comes up page cannot be displayed. Any ideas?

6. After setting up email accounts for my users, will they be able to manage their own password and is their a master reset if they forget the password?

u da man...thx

www.rehobothcbf.org

Comment

5. I'm havin' trouble reaching my control panel also. My control panel url comes up page cannot be displayed. Any ideas?

Since i can't see your CP (I DON'T HAVE YOUR LOGIN INFO) i can't suggest anything. Anyway, typing www.rehobothcbf.org/cpanel gets me to the login popup, so it should work ok.

6. After setting up email accounts for my users, will they be able to manage their own password and is their a master reset if they forget the password?

Email accounts setup is made through your CP. If someone forgets his pass, you can only change that through your CP and let him know the new one.
          Navaldesign
          Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
          DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
          Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Re: How do I install Soho to a subfolder?

ND,

I plan to keep BV as the primary site building tool and try linking to Soho's ecommerce and calendar functions.

Q7. When installing Soho in a subfolder, is that done from the control panel?

I went into the control panel and started the install process but there was no option to assign Soho to a subfolder.

Q8. Is the subfolder partitioning done after the Soho installation is complete?

Please advise...

Thanks for the wisdom...

Comment

Naval and Voda will probably correct me, but it seems to me you are trying to run around the established boundries of Soho and BV.(wanting the best of both worlds)...the only limitation (if any, really) of Soholaunch is the lack of customization for the main and interior pages contrasted to the scope and ease of BV.

If you want the ease of use, the on-board utilities, and the scale of Soho, then I would suggest simply installing it in it's own account, and getting a custom-made template done for you for the exact look and feel you are after. This will be much more satisfying for you in the long-term maintenence of your site (trust me) and will offer you the best results not having to be a sub-directory, linked back and forth, etc. which is too confusing for the SE's....

Having a totally complete template made for Soho is only about $45-75, and is peanuts compared to the time and frustration you are setting yourself up for....
              . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
              * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/soh...html#post42230

Post #8
                Navaldesign

Comment

I learned the hard way. Brad reset my account because I'd deleted a dbase account from the initial Soho installation. I got my finger working on the 1st page only to discover my entire previous web page or public_html files were gone. A handy backup from voda's weekly backups restored the drama to normal. It's really a case of either or. Go to the garden or the supermarket. You choose. I don't think like a computer so using Turbo Gears is a bit far just now. But if you have the patience (not just time) then it's best to design using the wisdom of others; relying upon your own thinking as much as possible. Dale DeWitt

Comment

Originally posted by nothingnew
                    I learned the hard way. Brad reset my account because I'd deleted a dbase account from the initial Soho installation. I got my finger working on the 1st page only to discover my entire previous web page or public_html files were gone. A handy backup from voda's weekly backups restored the drama to normal. It's really a case of either or. Go to the garden or the supermarket. You choose. I don't think like a computer so using Turbo Gears is a bit far just now. But if you have the patience (not just time) then it's best to design using the wisdom of others; relying upon your own thinking as much as possible.

Comment

Hello Every one,
                      I am Gwennyvia, today is my first day here, I can see it's such of popular community, and seems every one are having fun doing their things.

I am building a first web site, but having very difficulty with it, I checked out VokaHost, and see your instructions, step by steps, it's looks much better to understand then what I am having, I wonder what is the best solution for me? Please some one help me.
                      Gwennyvia

Comment

Depends on what excactly type of site you want to build. However, BlueVoda is suitable for most cases. You might need another tool if you want to build a very particular website.
                        Navaldesign

Comment

Working...
                        X