message boards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• message boards

can anyone help me. i want to put a message board on my website. a very simple one where people can leave comments that can be read by anyone looking at the website. where do i start?

Re: message boards

If you have a VodaHost account, log into your Cpanel, look for the big blue smiley face labeled Fantastico. In there, you'll find options on the left to install either a phpBB or SMF forum. phpBB is a lightweight variation of the forum we're on now.
    My NASCAR Forum

Comment

I have a question. Okay, I just installed the message board stuff from Fantastico thru my CP, but how do I activate it? I have no idea where to begin, all I know is that the installation was successful.
      Clueless here.
      Nish1959

Comment

Originally posted by nish1959
        I have a question. Okay, I just installed the message board stuff from Fantastico thru my CP, but how do I activate it? I have no idea where to begin, all I know is that the installation was successful.
        Clueless here.
        Nish1959
        When you installed the forum, you were asked to name the directory in which you wanted it installed. Most people call it simply forum or forums, but whatever you called it, the path would be yoursite.com/name_of_directory.

If you don't remember what you named it, go back to Fantastico, click phpBB and then click the link labeled "visit site". Once you get there, add it to your favorites to make it easier in the future.
        My NASCAR Forum

Comment

Thanks, Racefan. I'll try. I guess it doesn't work the way one would insert text or images?
          PS: I'm in FL now, but have a home in Concord where I hope to eventually retire.

Comment

I clicked Visit Site, and my site comes up. I saved it to favorites, but I still have no idea how to access the php and add it to my page. Is it done the same way you'd add something on Website Builder or is it an entire different process?
            Someone...anyone...please?
            Thanks,
            Nish

Comment

No, Nish....a Forum is a pure php-presented webpage...there is no "page" for you to insert code or anything into, it "presents" itself according to code.

When you actually "arrive" at your BB, at the bottom of the board, you will see "Amin Panel" which is what you should then click on to go to your Admin Panel, where you can modify and manage your Forum from. You will first need to Logon to the Forum itself, and then Logon to the ADmin Panel.

Once there, you will now see the true Admin Panel (the Control Panel, if you wish) for the Forum. This is where you can set the aspects of "configuration" for how the board works, and the permissions/protocols for Users as well. There is a set of Tutorials on this, and I highly recommend you go through them prior to setting up your board, lest you mess it up requiring it to be reset....
              . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
              * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Thanks Vasili. This should keep me busy for the evening. Let's see how far I get tonight.
                Nish

Comment

Hi Vasili,
                  Here is what I did tonight - I logged into my Cpanel, clicked fantastico, went to phpbb2. Clicked on visit site.
                  That's as far as I got.
                  How do I "arrive" at my BB, as you say?
                  I am truly a novice and need a step by step instruction on how to "arrive" to my BB.
                  I guess I already went down the wrong path or totally missed some steps.
                  Thank you for your help.
                  Nish

Comment

Vasili,
                    This is an update. I logged into my account via phpbb and actually started a topic and posted some text as I created a forum. At this point I am confused as to how do I get the forum to appear on my website.
                    Thank you.

Comment

CONGRATULATIONS!
                      I guess I can actually help someone after all!

You must link to it....as from a BV page, you would create a link (whatever style: text, icon, etc.) to the "index" of the board:
                      www. yourdomainname.com/whateveryoucalledyourforumdirectory

Remember, your Forum "index" page automatically presents....

PS: Where in Florida? I used to live in Tarpon Springs, and soon to return....
                      . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
                      * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Thanks, Vasili. This may keep me busy. I'll check back at my next hurdle.
                        I live in Boynton Beach - north of Boca, south of West ****. It's nice, but getting expensive.

Comment

Vasili,
                          You say I must link to it. Where am I when I am trying to do this? I was in my cpanel of Phpbb and on general Configuration. Is there something I am to link to there?
                          (oh, are you gonna be sorry you got involved in this.
                          Thanks,
                          Nish

Comment

Originally posted by Vasili
                            I guess I can actually help someone after all!
                            It has been my observation that you are a very consistant source of help to the members here.

FPRULES

Comment

I think I would have to agree with rob on that one.
                              brenT

Comment

Working...
                              X