PDA

View Full Version : message boards

boberts
06-06-2006, 03:59 PM
can anyone help me. i want to put a message board on my website. a very simple one where people can leave comments that can be read by anyone looking at the website. where do i start?

racefan20
06-06-2006, 11:10 PM
If you have a VodaHost account, log into your Cpanel, look for the big blue smiley face labeled Fantastico. In there, you'll find options on the left to install either a phpBB or SMF forum. phpBB is a lightweight variation of the forum we're on now.

nish1959
08-18-2006, 03:50 AM
I have a question. Okay, I just installed the message board stuff from Fantastico thru my CP, but how do I activate it? I have no idea where to begin, all I know is that the installation was successful.
Clueless here.
Nish1959

racefan20
08-18-2006, 05:45 AM
I have a question. Okay, I just installed the message board stuff from Fantastico thru my CP, but how do I activate it? I have no idea where to begin, all I know is that the installation was successful.
Clueless here.
Nish1959

When you installed the forum, you were asked to name the directory in which you wanted it installed. Most people call it simply forum or forums, but whatever you called it, the path would be yoursite.com/name_of_directory.

If you don't remember what you named it, go back to Fantastico, click phpBB and then click the link labeled "visit site". Once you get there, add it to your favorites to make it easier in the future.

nish1959
08-19-2006, 01:07 AM
Thanks, Racefan. I'll try. I guess it doesn't work the way one would insert text or images?
PS: I'm in FL now, but have a home in Concord where I hope to eventually retire.

nish1959
08-19-2006, 02:40 AM
I clicked Visit Site, and my site comes up. I saved it to favorites, but I still have no idea how to access the php and add it to my page. Is it done the same way you'd add something on Website Builder or is it an entire different process?
Someone...anyone...please?
Thanks,
Nish

Vasili
08-19-2006, 04:05 AM
No, Nish....a Forum is a pure php-presented webpage...there is no "page" for you to insert code or anything into, it "presents" itself according to code.

When you actually "arrive" at your BB, at the bottom of the board, you will see "Amin Panel" which is what you should then click on to go to your Admin Panel, where you can modify and manage your Forum from. You will first need to Logon to the Forum itself, and then Logon to the ADmin Panel.

Once there, you will now see the true Admin Panel (the Control Panel, if you wish) for the Forum. This is where you can set the aspects of "configuration" for how the board works, and the permissions/protocols for Users as well. There is a set of Tutorials on this, and I highly recommend you go through them prior to setting up your board, lest you mess it up requiring it to be reset....

nish1959
08-20-2006, 12:52 AM
Thanks Vasili. This should keep me busy for the evening. Let's see how far I get tonight.
Nish

nish1959
08-20-2006, 02:46 AM
Hi Vasili,
Here is what I did tonight - I logged into my Cpanel, clicked fantastico, went to phpbb2. Clicked on visit site.
That's as far as I got.
How do I "arrive" at my BB, as you say?
I am truly a novice and need a step by step instruction on how to "arrive" to my BB.
I guess I already went down the wrong path or totally missed some steps.
Thank you for your help.
Nish

nish1959
08-20-2006, 03:50 AM
Vasili,
This is an update. I logged into my account via phpbb and actually started a topic and posted some text as I created a forum. At this point I am confused as to how do I get the forum to appear on my website.
Thank you.

Vasili
08-20-2006, 04:53 AM
CONGRATULATIONS!
I guess I can actually help someone after all!

You must link to it....as from a BV page, you would create a link (whatever style: text, icon, etc.) to the "index" of the board:
www. yourdomainname.com/whateveryoucalledyourforumdirectory

Remember, your Forum "index" page automatically presents....

PS: Where in Florida? I used to live in Tarpon Springs, and soon to return....

nish1959
08-20-2006, 02:43 PM
Thanks, Vasili. This may keep me busy. I'll check back at my next hurdle.
I live in Boynton Beach - north of Boca, south of West ****. It's nice, but getting expensive.

nish1959
08-20-2006, 04:06 PM
Vasili,
You say I must link to it. Where am I when I am trying to do this? I was in my cpanel of Phpbb and on general Configuration. Is there something I am to link to there?
(oh, are you gonna be sorry you got involved in this.
Thanks,
Nish

FPRob
08-20-2006, 05:01 PM
I guess I can actually help someone after all!

It has been my observation that you are a very consistant source of help to the members here.

Code-Burnt-Gemini
08-20-2006, 09:10 PM
I think I would have to agree with rob on that one.

Vasili
08-21-2006, 06:52 PM
Nish,

If you have a BV "index" page, which is your Main/Home page, and you wish to provide a link from that (or any other) page for visitors to go to your Forum, you must provide a link. It can be a text link, an image that has been hyperlinked, or a button on a Menu - you must simply provide visitors with a mechanism for them to "get there."

Thus, you must enter specific info in the "hyperlink tool" in BV to make this possible, since your Forum resides in it's own directory (which your server sees as if it was a 'sub-domain' or 'directory'), and this requires a link that will look like this:
www. yourdomainname.com/whateveryoucalledyourforumdirectory

It has nothing to do with a function in your Forum Admin panel, or Forum itself - you simply need to direct traffic by providing the proper linking!
> Take a look at this concept like this for comparison: if you only had your Forum in your web hosting account, whenever someone would visit your website URL, the Forum Index would automatically present itself. Since php behaves automatically, that is why we "contain" it in a directory (folder) of it's own, so we can control the progress of visitors in our website.....whenever we steer visitors to this Forum Directory, we know the index will automatically present, which is what we want. And, since you can only password-protect a directory, this is also why we set up Forums in separate folders (directory).

This is why we use the term "front-end" for pages created in BV will eventually steer to this directory which contains or Forum. But - you must create links for that to happen!
Understand?

And, the link above is how you accomplish that....you can see your domain name, and the format to direct to the directory where your forum resides (protected or not...).
* Note that it shall be the name of your Forum DIRECTORY (folder), and not what you called your actual forum!

Vasili
08-21-2006, 11:48 PM
Nish....let me know where you are now, and if you have moved past this issue?

nish1959
08-22-2006, 02:29 AM
Vasili, your new post may take me over the next hurdle. I worked very late today and may not get a chance to apply this until tomorrow. I think you just lit a light bulb in my brain.
Thanks,
Nish

nish1959
08-22-2006, 03:45 AM
Vasili,
I don't recall actually naming my forum. If I did where would that be found?
Also, when I do set up the link to the message boards, would the www.yoursitename.com (http://www.yoursitename.com) be my main account name or as in this instance, www.addondomainname.com (http://www.addondomainname.com) to which this forum is for?
Thanks,
Nish

Vasili
08-22-2006, 04:25 AM
No....you're all frumpled over this one...what's your URL so I can sort it out for you?

Vasili
08-22-2006, 05:14 AM
Evening, General....any thought on the "other" issue?

racefan20
08-22-2006, 05:30 AM
Evening, General....any thought on the "other" issue?

Which "other" issue would that be? LOL I'm just happy to see that you've progressed to the point you can help with this stuff. One proud "mentor" here.

Vasili
08-22-2006, 05:52 AM
Which "other" issue would that be? LOL I'm just happy to see that you've progressed to the point you can help with this stuff. One proud "mentor" here.Of course, I learned from the Best!
"You've Got Mail!"

racefan20
08-22-2006, 06:02 AM
Of course, I learned from the Best!
"You've Got Mail!"

Read and replied.

nish1959
08-22-2006, 01:31 PM
Vasili, my url is www.muralsandmoreart.com (http://www.muralsandmoreart.com). The addon domain that I want to add the forum to is ishmanfishman.com/index.
Thanks,
Nish

Vasili
08-23-2006, 12:40 AM
Can you copy&paste the link to your Forum for me - just like you see it in the browser when you there? (It will tell me where and how you set this up)
Then, I can clearly illustrate for you specific linking, and give you just the right direction...

If you want to add the Forum to IshFish, you will need to provide some manner for visitors to get there, right, and this is done by providing a link of some sort. While I wait for you to post your reply, start thinking about setting up either a button, or text on your home page to get this going...

nish1959
08-23-2006, 02:00 AM
Vasili,
Is this what you may need to know?

Is the path what I need to link to?
Thanks
Nish

An instance of phpBB2 was installed on http://ishmanfishman.com (http://ishmanfishman.com/)
Full installation path: /home2/muralsa/public_html/ishman
Public URL: http://ishmanfishman.com/ (http://ishmanfishman.com/)
Admin URL: http://ishmanfishman.com/admin
MySQL database: muralsa_phpb1
MySQL user: muralsa_phpb1
Time of installation: Thursday, 17th August, 2006 @ 09:42:45 PM
DO NOT REMOVE the file named fantastico_fileslist.txt from the installation
directory. It is used for uninstalling this application.
http://webmail.bellsouth.net/i/s.gifhttp://webmail.bellsouth.net/i/s.gif

nish1959
08-23-2006, 02:59 AM
Vasili,
Does this help?
http://ishmanfishman.com/index.php?sid=e118ae4e46d342edf7ab6bd3e30487ac

Nish

Vasili
08-23-2006, 03:27 AM
Ok, Nish....
Apparently, you installed this Forum prior to publishing any BV created page first, right?
And, you installed the Forum straight into your public_/html directory, rather than give it a distinct name during set up, right? You named it "muralsandart.com"??? ...or just "murals"???
THIS is why it is coming up as THE index of your domain...when it shouldn't....

You're not going to like this....you need to have your Forum properly named so as not to create a conflict with the primary domain name, and to prevent it from mimicing the default "index".
Uninstall the Forum (you can do this yourself in your VodaHost Control Panel > Fantastico! > click on phpBB on the left hand column, and it will show you your BB installed....now click on "uninstall"

Re-install the forum...this time name it "forum"....that simple.....(don't worry, you know how to fiddle around with it to reset it the way you had it...maybe even print out the index page to see what you created?)

This way, when it comes time to publish your BV pages, we can link to the forum by writing this link:
http://www.ishmanfishman.com/forum

the process of naming "forum" as the new directory you are creating during installation makes this possible....do you see where the problem lay? Apparently, you have Murals and Ishman in the same account, and you've titled your Forum with your Murals entire domain name...you DO want this for Isman, right?

If this is too hard to follow, after unistallation, go back to your VH Control Panel and add a sub-domain to this account...name it "forum".....go back to fantastico, install your board into ishmanfishman.com > forum ....(I am assuming Ishman is the primary VH Account Domain name right? If not, then use the primary name)

nish1959
08-23-2006, 01:18 PM
Vasili,
My main account is www.muralsandmoreart.com (http://www.muralsandmoreart.com). I have an addon domain called ishmanfishman.com. I want the forum to be for ishman fishman.
I will do as you say in your post and try it again from scratch.
I'll give you an update at that point.
Thank you
Nish

Vasili
08-23-2006, 09:24 PM
Nish-

Exactly as I had thought....
Yes, go ahead and re-install, and when it asks you "Which Directory?" be sure to click on ishmanfishman folder > this "opens" it, and then to name the new directory "forum"

This will create a "folder" within ishmanfishman to keep your forum in (much like a sub-domain) and will then let you link to the Forum normally, keeping your BV "front-end" intact.

Do you see the linear concept now? You had installed the forum into the root directory, and it took precedence over any BV page, not allowing you to see the BV pages nor "link" to the forum itself (as it auto-populated).

nish1959
08-24-2006, 12:26 AM
Vasili,
Hopefully something is sinking into my brain. I'm still on training wheels, I have to fall down a few times before I'm ready to move ahead.
Thanks
Nish

PS I'll give you an update on my progress or lack thereof tomorrow. I'm giving you a day off!

nish1959
08-24-2006, 03:51 AM
Vasili,
Sorry, but your day off is over. Please click on my site www.ishmanfishman.com (http://www.ishmanfishman.com) and then click on Message Boards. I may have stumbled onto something.
If I did this correctly, I'll need to know how to customize this page and least of all add a link back to the home page.
Thanks for your patience.
Nish

Vasili
08-26-2006, 11:01 PM
Again, it appears you have installed your Forum into the public_html/ directory of ishmanfishman.com. (This can be verified by the link "Messages Boards" pointing to ishmanfishman.com/index.php RATHER than ishmanfishman.com/forum......)

There is a problem with this, don't you see? First of all, your ishmanfishman Main Page (the BV page) is untitled: it should have been saved and published as index - and that is why it can easily be seen that you improperly set up your Forum. The conflict exists since you have only one place for an "index" page in a site....what are you going to call your Main Page now????? How are you supposed to link back to it???

You did not follow the simple instructions to re-install your forum naming it "forum" where asked: this would have created a separate directory to hold your forum in, and give it the ability to have it's own index page....

Example: your Main BV Page for the site should look like this: ishmanfishman.com/index.html
and your forum link from Main page should look like this: ishmanfishman.com/forum .....and the forum's index page would present itself, as you would be going into a directory new.

You might be better off emailing me the info for me to access your cPanel (admin@DiamondGiveaway.com) and simply let me do it for you. Afterward, you can change the password if you want, no big. It would be easier for me to do it FOR you than try in 9 different ways to explain it to you....

nish1959
08-27-2006, 12:21 AM
Vasili,
You got mail.

Vasili
08-27-2006, 12:50 AM
...and a solution for YOU!

LOL Will email you when done...

nish1959
08-28-2006, 01:20 PM
Vasili,
I feel abandoned. Send me a smoke signal so I know you're okay!
Nish

Vasili
08-28-2006, 07:08 PM
I am alive, but severely battered.
Fear not, Nish, you'll have your board up perfectly by Monday night....
Life has a way of becoming complicated the more we intend to simplify it!

nish1959
08-29-2006, 12:06 AM
Vasili, you're a good man. Expect something special in you stocking this December.

Vasili
08-29-2006, 12:45 AM
You mean I finally get to take my foot out of my mouth???
LOL

nish1959
08-29-2006, 03:39 AM
Vasili, I hope I don't perish in Hurricane Ernesto before you straighten out my forum. I wouldn't want you to feel guilty.
Thank you,
Nish

Aliens Anonymous
08-29-2006, 03:54 AM
5 Stars for Vasili

Vasili
08-29-2006, 06:24 AM
5 Stars for VasiliThanks, Alien....like that was a big stretch for an ET....handing out stars like Terrans hand out candy!
Uff!

And Nish? The way things are going for me lately, I wouldn't be surprised that I "encounter difficulties".....then everyone can have a promotion in my company - more room at the top to fill!!! http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/images/icons/icon10.gif

LOL Good to see you, my friend! I guess I'll have to stop by your Forum for a breather! Maybe I just need to finish this thing for Nish first?? Race lateralled it to me, the old bugger! http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/images/icons/icon6.gif

Vasili
08-29-2006, 08:10 AM
NISH

You have email, and a request. Please respond before 8-29-06 8:00 P.M. PST, or I will not be able to continue on your behalf.

nish1959
08-29-2006, 01:20 PM
Done!

Vasili
08-30-2006, 12:13 AM
Nish has a brand-spanking new Forum, complete with a personal Logo! http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/images/icons/icon12.gif

nish1959
08-30-2006, 12:25 AM
Yes, but he is too dopey to get it linked. It shows up as Page Cannot Be Displayed! It looks better, though. Thank you.

Vasili
08-30-2006, 12:46 AM
Yes, but he is too dopey to get it linked. It shows up as Page Cannot Be Displayed! It looks better, though. Thank you.Please follow the directions slowly and precisely in the email "Important!" and you will have perfect results.

(You can "test" this yourself by clicking on the very link in the email!)

nish1959
08-30-2006, 03:22 AM
Honest, Vasili. I am trying. I know something is wrong, and even though you are explaining it, I still don't understand it.
Thank you for spending so much time on this. I'm sorry I am not very helpful in assisting you in this matter.
Nish

Vasili
08-30-2006, 04:45 AM
I got so annoyed that I made a whole new webpage, with dramatic new layout and configuration.....complete with working links and a brand new Menu system. HERE (http://www.ishmanfishman.com)

You are welcome.
Remember to use the Clone feature in BV.
And to help others in the Forum as able, whenever you can.....http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/images/icons/icon12.gif

nish1959
08-30-2006, 01:40 PM
Vasili,
I cannot thank you enough for linking these pages.
My only problem still is that I cannot open the modified index file. It reads "Unexpected File Format". Can you email me a format that I can open and edit? Without it I am stuck!
Thanks,
Nish

nish1959
08-30-2006, 04:03 PM
Can someone tell me where the Clone button is?

Aliens Anonymous
08-30-2006, 04:53 PM
nish1059
it's next to the new page icon looks like two pages.

Vasili you old sea dog you, hope you are well aftes the small storm.
very inpressed with the forum.

nish1959
08-30-2006, 04:59 PM
Aliens, yes he made it look nice, but it is useless on my end. I cannot open the index file he created for me. it says "Unexpected File Format". He wanted me to clone this file, but I can't even open it. I have huge problems.

nish1959
08-30-2006, 05:04 PM
As it stands now, it looks like I have to create a new index page that I can access and publish and vasili's hard work will be down the drain. I think he is "done" with me.

Aliens Anonymous
08-30-2006, 05:07 PM
did vasili email you the page ?
did you unpack the page into your bluevoda page ?
have you deleted your old index page or renamed or moved it.

nish1959
08-30-2006, 05:14 PM
Vasili emailed me the page file. I put it in a folder in My Documents, because I have an index for another domain in BV.
My old index is renamed index1 just so I can keep a record of it.

Aliens Anonymous
08-30-2006, 05:24 PM
make a folder in bluevoda name it what ever you want ( second index ) then move the page Vasili sent you into it. this way you won't get any conflict with any other page that you might have with the same name. then open your bluevoda website builder and look for the page. then open.

if a page made in bluevoda is placed out side the bluevoda folder it will not open properly.

nish1959
08-30-2006, 05:29 PM
Aliens, I will try that now.
Thank you.

nish1959
08-30-2006, 05:33 PM
Nice try, but it didn't work. I still cannot open it because of unexpected file format.

Aliens Anonymous
08-30-2006, 05:42 PM
zip the page and email it to me through my site i will take a look and get back to you later.

Aliens Anonymous
08-30-2006, 06:36 PM
OK got it, it opened ok no pic's but i expected that. no problem.
i will send it back to you this time save it straght into your bluevoda folder into a folder were you can find it. then open page using the builder. you won't have the images but that is easy rectified.

nish1959
08-30-2006, 08:16 PM
Aliens, no luck. I could not open it on my end.

nish1959
08-30-2006, 08:20 PM
It's gonna kill Vasili, but I have to take this page down, put back my original index that actually connected me to my forums somehow.
All I wanted was to put in a link back to my homepage from my forums and now I have not even that. I watch the tutorials and come to the message boards and feel as if I'm nothing but a menace.
Thanks

Aliens Anonymous
08-30-2006, 08:59 PM
if you just want a link from your forum back to your home page.
open your ftp manger click connect on right side of screen look for the folder that has your forum in. open that folder and look for the templates folder, open that you should see a folder named subSilver open that and look for a file name overall_header.tpl copy that file down to the left side of screen then email it to me and i will add the link for you. just let me know the text you want it to say and the full URL address = http://

Vasili
08-30-2006, 09:48 PM
All yours, Garry! LOL
He will need a return link to: ishmanfishman.com
His forum is properly established as: ishmanfishman.com/forum/
And (it's confusing, since he created a duplicate directory/sub domain as ishmanfishman.com) his Forum is located in "ishman"....but you'll find it!

His version requires 3 attempts to Logon to Admin of the Forum, but keep plodding.....
Also...Since I emailed him back the BV file for his "ishmanfishman.com" index page, you will need to walk him through on how to open/resave/access the file in BV so he can use it to Clone with - the saving/converting from .bvp to a straight file in BV, right?

Vasili
08-30-2006, 09:52 PM
OK got it, it opened ok no pic's but i expected that. no problem.
i will send it back to you this time save it straght into your bluevoda folder into a folder were you can find it. then open page using the builder. you won't have the images but that is easy rectified.Actually, he WILL have the images, as they are in his BV Images folder already....that's why when I published it (not seeing the images on my side) they still had association, from when he originally published it.

I just added elements, background, layout, etc.

Aliens Anonymous
08-30-2006, 10:08 PM
Hello my friend glad to see you are Ok. was a bit wind there.
nish is all sorted with link.

nish1959
08-30-2006, 10:40 PM
Thank you both. Vasili, if you need any medication, I will gladly pay. You've been through hell, I know. Things could be worse - you could be ME.

Vasili
08-30-2006, 10:51 PM
Thank you both. Vasili, if you need any medication, I will gladly pay. You've been through hell, I know. Things could be worse - you could be ME.I'm trying to run 5 companies (with 110 employees), make SOME sort of progress on MY websites (with 3 OsC sites additional overdue to even be STARTED), be of some contributable functionary in this Forum, and maintain my sanity to boot. It doesn't bode well for me to have "rank" and offer technical assistance if my sites don't offer the "proof" that could easily be demonstrated had I the time to complete them, does it?

EVERY time I get a little involved, it ends up being a fiasco. On the simplest of things too.....http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/images/icons/icon6.gif

(If you can't "open" the BV file I did for you, take a snapshot of your Homepage I did, and simply try to re-create it in BV....not difficult....just knowing how to use BV, add shapes, layer things in order, etc. You have got to get a grip on BV, Nish, if you are to be able to do things yourself. I really need to "retire" from this Forum. Everyone is tired of me too.)

nish1959
08-30-2006, 11:15 PM
Vasili,
I got promoted to First Sargeant between last night and today. I should have been shot, instead.

PS Thanks for turning me onto Cooltext.com. That's a real find!

And this is me and what I do: www.muralsandmoreart.com (http://www.muralsandmoreart.com)
I'm an artist, not a techie- could you tell?

nish1959
09-01-2006, 05:40 PM
Hi.
I have my phpbb set up, with thanks to Vasili and Aliens. What I need to do at this point is one of two things:
1. I need to delete ALL of the users that I registered. I don't know how to do this
2. I could keep all of those users, but I want to activate them all without the need to email all of them for activation.
Can someone help me get past this? I've tried doing this thru thr Admin panel, but can't seem to do it.
Thanks,
Nish

nish1959
09-01-2006, 07:59 PM
Nevermind!!! I actually figured it out on my own! (It's gonna be a great day!)