PDA

View Full Version : newbie - watched videos several times, read forum for hours

Rita
06-13-2006, 03:21 AM
Okay, I've got my home page. I've made the menu bar. When I click th ebuttons in previews, they don't link up. I haven't transferred my domain name from GoDaddy so it goes to the place where go daddy is holding the site name.

I typed in the URLs as I was creating the buttons. I didn't think I was supposed to add the "html" ending when I typed in URL. (I know it says to type in full URL, but I thought that was just up to html.)

I went back and added the html ending to a couple of buttons to see if it would work. Still nothing.

Also, I've created the home page which I wanted to be the "shell" for the other pages". I saved this page as index, but as a template. Can I now just cope that page to the remaining pages? Or do I have to recreate the basic page over and over again. I read earlier that someone had a problem becaue they tried to just copy the basic page.

Thank you. I appreciate the help!

CarbonTerry
06-13-2006, 05:42 AM
You have to publish the pages. They will not link in preview unless they are published.

navaldesign
06-13-2006, 07:09 AM
To repeat your template, you can either "clone" the page, and then save it with the new name, or, if you have saved it as a template, when you open a new page, "Open from Template", then make the changes you want and save it with the new name. The links (in your buttons" should be complete, f.e. http://www.yourdomain.com/pagename.html . Link between your pages will only work after you have published them, as CarbonTerry already said above, and, last, but most important, you must have a Vodahost account, to publish your pages.

Rita
06-13-2006, 01:52 PM
Thank you so much. That makes life a lot easier. I would have tried to get those links to work forever if you guys hadn't filled me in. And cloning is GREAT!

Thanks again!

Rita

Gh0stw0lf
06-15-2006, 08:01 PM
yes, i had the same problem but thanks to the reply to this post, i was able to fix it.