Vbulletin vs Phpbb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vbulletin vs Phpbb

Ok, so I've finally read through the posts in this forum - and I keep hearing (especially *****) say Vbulletin is the best. I've already run into problems with phpbb myself and have uninstalled it 2-3 times now. I'm pondering buying Vbulletin - as I'm so non-IT savvy.

So, why can't we access Vbulletin through fantastico? (JOKING! - I know it's not free)

Serious Questions: Can Vbulletin be used by Vodahost members instead? What information will I need to know before installing it?

Thanks in advance

TS

Re: Vbulletin vs Phpbb

Ive never gone through the installion, but I do know that you will need to create a mysql database, and have the database name, server (which will be "localhost"), database username, and database password.

If you run into problems im sure they will have customer support, since you are paying all that money it should be pretty good support i would assume.

Register/Login Script
    Do you use a Password Protected Directory? Need a way to allow users to make their own account, try my .htaccess Login Script

Comment

Strangely it is Mo - Fri. And i think it is charged extra money.
      Navaldesign
      Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
      Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
      DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
      Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

I thought the extra charge was only if you use phone support?

Regarding the database setup; I'm a vodahost customer - can I do all that in Cpanel myself (nothing I need to find out from admin here)? I will check with Vbulletin tho - still deciding if I should go with them. :)

Thanks guys!
        TS

Comment

They charge for installation as well. You should be able to do it yourself, but if you need help, I'll do it for you at a much lower price than they would charge.
          My NASCAR Forum

Comment

Well I will give it a shot myself first.. but if I do need help I'll let you know, Racefan, Thanks!

Comment

there is other free boards about like proboards
              just a thought
              The get vasili to join our forum campaign has begun

www.thatgoodsite.com and our forum of fun also starring my hero vasili
              Weve got movies,arcade,radio,T.V,chat,music,funny vids,jokes and lots and lots of fun for free

Comment

I did get vbulletin..and the manual (quote) says:

"Please note that Jelsoft / vBulletin Support can not provide the values you require for $config['Database']['dbname'], $config['MasterServer']['servername'], $config['MasterServer']['username'], and $config['MasterServer']['password']. These variables are only available from the web host providing your web/database server."

-What would the Master Server/Server name be? (I already created a DB, user name, and password in Cpanel)

-When I input the DB name and user name while installing vBulletin, would I include the name prefix_ that CPanel automatically appends?

Danke!

Comment

Sorry!! Never Mind that last post...I figured it out tonight. :)

You guys really should let me delete my own posts from time to time! lol ;)

TS

Comment

Working...
                  X