mySQL.... what is it about?? Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mySQL.... what is it about?? Help

Hi there, I need to know what does mySQL about. it's something new to me, can someone please explain to me what does it do and on what use is it? All I know is that it is a database.. Is it included with the hosting package? how can mysql be useful for my website? and any example of websites that use mysql? and in what way?

with thanks,

Sufian.

Please click on the link below to learn everything you could
    possibly want to know about mySQL.

http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/forumdisplay.php?f=9

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

SQL php

Ginger is back - need to try this again.

I have gone through tutorials and forums - need some extra help. Think I can explain myself simply as that is about what my knowledge is!

1. I have an excel database that I want to 'send' to mysql; then visitors to website can search the database by county and zip code.

2. Can I use phpmyadmin to run sql queries through 'location of text file'
      function which then dumps database to mysql.

3. Does this convert the excel database?

4. When I tried it I received a message

'bug in mysqlparser'; see 1064 error

The bottom line is I need to know how to get the excel data into mysql
      and then how to set up my web 'search' page to access mysql data.

If php doesn't convert excel - do I need a program like dbQuikSync which
      auto creates tables ect. and would BV support it - if I need it.

Please help quick!!!!Thanks

Comment

I really can't help you here, I wish I could. Your best bet is to open a support ticket, or search online for your answer.
        ::Steven.H::

Comment

Re: mySQL.... what is it about?? Help

Originally posted by VodaHost
          Please click on the link below to learn everything you could
          possibly want to know about mySQL.

http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/forumdisplay.php?f=9

Hi there,
          I ran across this thread and thought I too, would like to know what SQL/mySQL is..but when I clicked the link it said I do not have permission to access the page. Why not? boohoo.
          Leeza

Comment

Because this is a very old thread and the relevant page has been removed. Please click on http://it.wikipedia.org and search for MySQL
            Navaldesign
            Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
            Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
            DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
            Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Hello everyone.
              Iam a newbie to all of this, i was wondering what MySQL is, how does it work, iv already made some pages in bv, how do i get it to mysql? can MySQL run sites with logins and pesonal accounts that i want when visitors come to my site how do i do this? no clue what im doing really need HELP!!!
              Molly

Comment

MySQL is a type of database. It is used in combination with a scripting/programming language to store data. In order to MySQL on one of your pages you need to use a scripting language to query the database and gather whatever data is needed on the page, and then display the data however you want it. There are many different scripting languages, PHP being the most popular. Some like ASP, ASP.net, and ColdFusion are not supported by Vodahost, so there is only a limited amount of options.

Register/Login Script
                Do you use a Password Protected Directory? Need a way to allow users to make their own account, try my .htaccess Login Script

Comment

MySQL is currently the most popular open source database server in existence. On top of that, it is very commonly used in conjunction with PHP scripts to create powerful and dynamic server-side applications.
                  private equity firm

Comment

Ok, I'm getting a very vague idea of what MySQL is, but can anyone give me a link to a site that has MySQL so that I can understand it better?

Thanks

Comment

You don't see MySQL, it works in the backend. What you see is the page content that is generated (usually by a server side script) using the content stored in MySQL.
                      Imagine MySQL as a data storage mechanism. You can see the data, as it is output on the pages, but you don't see the mechanism. The same for php. you can see what it outputs on your screen, but you don't see the programming language itself.
                      Navaldesign
                      Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
                      Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
                      DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
                      Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Working...
                      X