Linking to subcategory pages with navigation bar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linking to subcategory pages with navigation bar

I have searched these forums for a problem - or rather - solutions to my problem but can't seem to find anything.

My site has about 25 pages. I have a main nav menubar on each main page. On some pages I have put a second nav menubar to link to subcategory pages. These menu buttons will not open my pages. If it's a naming issue, I just can't seem to resolve it.

I've gone through 4 people on a help ticket. I have published all pages. I have uploaded all pages via FTP, and now I really have a mess. Two sets of all pages - .bvp and .html. I'm afraid I'm going to have to start over again, but this is a LOT to lose!

My site is at http://www.powerlife-solutions.com

Three pages have subcategories: Life Coaching, Resources, and Articles. I set the menu buttons with the usual navigation button description, being sure to use the full URLs (including .html) as shown in the video tutorial. I included in the names the page each is a category of. (For example: http://www.powerlife-solutions.com/c...powerment.html)

The subcategory menu buttons don't link to the pages they are supposed to. I get the "page not found" message for all.

Someone PLEASE help! I've been spending hours and hours, over days and days on this!

WebMagic
    gem@cable-lynx.net

Re: Linking to subcategory pages with navigation bar

Ok-
    It is in the way you are linking your subfolders.
    For instance. You have sub-folder; coaching and then in that folder you have the following sub-folders:
    careers / empowerment / relationships / wealth / wellness

In each of those folders you have a coaching.html apparently as your
    introductory page. (actually you should name this index in each)

So- to access the coaching.html in the sub-folder careers you would make a link like so;
    http://www.powerlife-solutions.com/c.../coaching.html
    **Becareful- sometimes the forum truncates long URL's. Look in the
    address bar at the bottom of the page to see the full URL

If the coaching page were named index.html
    then you could link as so;
    http://www.powerlife-solutions/coaching/careers

Being and index page it would automatically open as the first page in the subdirectory.

Also- you cannot name a page something like- mylittle.webpage.html
    It must be one word or two words seperated by and underscore-
    mylittle_webpage.html

Hope that helps

Andy
    PHP- is a blast!

Comment

This is likewise for all subfolders. For instance. In the subfolder articles you have other subfolders;
      archives / health_welness / self_help etc.....

In the articles sub-folder you would access the articles.html like;
      http://www.powerlife-solutions.com/a.../articles.html

and the articles archives
      http://www.powerlife-solutions.com/a.../articles.html

Hope that makes it clearer.

Andy
      PHP- is a blast!

Comment

Thanks Andy!

I am beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Am I to understand tho, that I can have 4 "index" pages in one website? Or, is there a difference in handling just "index" vs "index.html"?

I'm confused about the order in which I have to make changes. Do I rename my main "coaching" page inside the "Open Page" dialogue when I open Blue Voda. Do I rename it in my main navigation menubar first?

When defining my secondary menubar, do I list a button description like this: http://www.powerlife-solutions.com/index/careers.html to get to the careers page?

The "how to" of changing names to "index.html" is stumping me.

The other thing that confuses me is should I be working only with my .bvp page names or my .html page names?

Thanks to you tho, I really have hope FINALLY that my website can be fixed!

WebMagic

Comment

All your pages on your computer will be xxxxxx.bvp and when you publish BV will change them to xxxxxx.html. so linking will have the html ending.

You can have as many index pages as you have folders/directories, but only one in each folder/subdir......
          Have fun
          Regards..... David

Step by Step Visual Tutorials for the complete beginner
          Newbies / Beginners Forum
          FREE Membership Login Scripts: - Meta Tags Analyzer
          My Social Networking Site - Free Contact Forms
          Finished your New website!! Now get it noticed Here:

Comment

Sorry to cut in, but all this is a bit confusing. the site structure should be kept as simple as possible. No need for 3 or 4 or whatever number of "index" pages. Index pages should only be used if the second level (or third leel or fourth level) domain, must be independent subdomains, otherwise there is no need for such complications. The structure of your site should be like this:

Main pages in the public_html folder.

Subfolders for the subcategories, f.e. a subfolder for Life Coaching, one for Resources, one for Articles. The main page of each subcategory goes straight in that folder, and unless you are going to have tenths of pages in the Resources, you can also put the rest of the subcategory pages in the same folder. If instead, you DO have too many pages in there, create third level folders for each sub-sub-category.

The page names can be whatever you want. The links should be:

http://wwwpowerlife-solutions.com/subcategoryfoldername/subcategoryintroductorypage.html

for the main page of each category.

If the rest of the subcategory pages can be in the same folder, the link should be
            http://www.powerlife-solutions.com/subcategoryfoldername/subcategorypage1.html

and so on. If instead you need, for keeping things organised, to create further folders, inside the subcategory folder, the link to those pages should be:
            http://www.powerlife-solutions.com/subcategoryfoldername/subsubcategory/subsubcategorypage1.html

Think of it exactly as the directory structure of your own computer. You have your hard disc, then you have folders. In the Programs folder f.e., you have These folders (f.e.) BlueVoda, MSOffice, Photoshop, etc.
            Inside each of those second level folders, you have f.e. the exe. file of each program. plus more subfolders, for pictures, dll libraries and so on.

The structure of your site is similar to the above. You must only make sure to publish to the correct folder, and link correctly.
            Navaldesign
            Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
            Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
            DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
            Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Originally posted by navaldesign
              Sorry to cut in, but all this is a bit confusing. the site structure should be kept as simple as possible. No need for 3 or 4 or whatever number of "index" pages. Index pages should only be used if the second level (or third leel or fourth level) domain, must be independent subdomains, otherwise there is no need for such complications. The structure of your site should be like this:

Main pages in the public_html folder.

Subfolders for the subcategories, f.e. a subfolder for Life Coaching, one for Resources, one for Articles. The main page of each subcategory goes straight in that folder, and unless you are going to have tenths of pages in the Resources, you can also put the rest of the subcategory pages in the same folder. If instead, you DO have too many pages in there, create third level folders for each sub-sub-category.

The page names can be whatever you want. The links should be:

http://wwwpowerlife-solutions.com/subcategoryfoldername/subcategoryintroductorypage.html

for the main page of each category.

If the rest of the subcategory pages can be in the same folder, the link should be
              http://www.powerlife-solutions.com/subcategoryfoldername/subcategorypage1.html

and so on. If instead you need, for keeping things organised, to create further folders, inside the subcategory folder, the link to those pages should be:
              http://www.powerlife-solutions.com/subcategoryfoldername/subsubcategory/subsubcategorypage1.html

Think of it exactly as the directory structure of your own computer. You have your hard disc, then you have folders. In the Programs folder f.e., you have These folders (f.e.) BlueVoda, MSOffice, Photoshop, etc.
              Inside each of those second level folders, you have f.e. the exe. file of each program. plus more subfolders, for pictures, dll libraries and so on.

The structure of your site is similar to the above. You must only make sure to publish to the correct folder, and link correctly.
              Thank you, navaldesign! I just lost two posts I was trying to send you. Something automatically signed me out! Geez. Anyway, when I publish using the new naming, do I do public_html/index, as an example, for each page? Or, do I just use "/" when I'm creating a folder with subs?

Do I need to do anything about my previous publishing and FTPing? Should I only work with my .bvp files (I have methodically gone about creating .html extensions for each and every page!)?

Gratefully,
              WebMagic

Comment

Thanks to All...

My problems seem to have been fixed magically by making folders inside Blue Voda.

I renamed and renamed and fussed and fussed, but the internal directories I set up seem to have been the key. I kept just the main categories which had subs and linked directly without setting up a subcategory for anything.

Last I looked, every button link was working fine. Check it out to see if it works for you too: http://www.powerlife-solutions.com

NOW - I just have to fill up this shell of a website!

Smiles,
                WebMagic

Comment

Yes, it works just fine. Congrats!
                  Navaldesign
                  Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
                  DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
                  Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

hey guys im doing exactly the same but couldn't follow sorry.
                    so how do i subcategorize?

how do i name it in BlueVoda?

thanks

Comment

? What do you mean? Just create subfolders in BV. F.E, Suppose that you have the BV folder, and in it you create subfolders for
                      1. Product related pages
                      2. Link related pages
                      3. ..........

You should create the same subfolders in your public_html, and publish every page in the relevant subfolder. That's all
                      Navaldesign

Comment

Originally posted by navaldesign
                        ? What do you mean? Just create subfolders in BV. F.E, Suppose that you have the BV folder, and in it you create subfolders for
                        1. Product related pages
                        2. Link related pages
                        3. ..........

You should create the same subfolders in your public_html, and publish every page in the relevant subfolder. That's all
                        subfolder both in my computer and public_html?
                        cause i tried going to file maager and created a subfolder there is that right? sorry i dont understand how and what is F.E?
                        i tried making a subfolder inside the public_html in ftp manager by clicking on crete folder, but it keeps creating subfolder outside the public_html. what do i do?
                        help please

Comment

General Naval's FE="for example"....as in "i.e.=in example"....just an older English vernacular usage....
                          and I provided you a detailed, step-by-step instruction for you in your OTHER thread regarding this same issue....

>> EDITED/Pasted here again:
                          In Windows, using Explorer, go to your Blue Voda folder, click to open.

IF your have only 1 domain on this account, simply create a new folder, naming it whatever the new cart is supposed to be (i.e. "newcart").

If you already have a sub-domain on this account, and it is the domain that will have for this Soho cart, (still in Explorer) open this folder/domain (i.e. domaintwo) and THEN create a new folder in it naming it like above new cart (which shall become your new "directory").

Now, go to your VodaHost account Control Panel and using Fantastico!, begin to install Soholaunch....it will ask where you wish to install it, and provided you have created the new folder ("directory') as above, find the newly named folder (newcart) and install it into this folder....VIOLA!

To link PAGES....since you are creating/saving/publishing pages in the DOMAIN directory (folder) they will automatically "find" the page you are linking to....the only time this is an issue is if the sub-folder (sub-directory) is password protected....
                          . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
                          * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

ok i got it, thanks^_^

Comment

oh and another thing is there a fast way of selecting for example multiple files(1.html,2.html) in the control pannel ftp manager folders to move it to another folder or
                              when ready to publish what should i put in the folder section (cause everytime i put the name of the subcategory it would give me invalid folder) so i have to create a folder then move it to public_html then inside put another folder) thanks again

Comment

Working...
                              X