• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• COPPA needed?

Hi all,

I posted a question on Vbulletin forums but need to ask it here:

(Forgive my ignorance again!) ...

1. Do I need a COPPA agreement? Vbulletin advised me that if my site is hosted in the U.S., then I need to.

Does that mean if I *live* in the U.S. or does it mean if Vodahost is in the U.S.?

2. The COPPA form asks for a company name and address, which presents me with other problems -- Currently I live in New Zealand, but eventually I'd like my company name based from the U.S...as the site grows. Right now I have no company name and hence need to use my own name, as it is all starting out.

So for a COPPA form, what would I put as "company name?"

3. Note that my site really will be more aimed for adult audience (not x-rated... just not for kids either) .. so I'm not purposely aiming it at kids. Is this also a factor in whether I need COPPA?

Please help!

Thanks in advance,
    TS

Re: COPPA needed?

COPPA is required on any site hosted in the US unless you specify in the registration that a person must be 18 years old or older to register. Where you live isn't a factor, you're hosted on US soil so you have to follow suit. It's really not a big deal, you just add the contact details in your admin panel under Configuration. Doubtful it'll ever be used, but we believe in CYA (Cover Your Ass) in this lawsuit friendly country.

Alternatively, you can edit a couple files to change the wording. Click here
    My NASCAR Forum

Comment

Sorry, wasn't paying close enough attention. I'm not sure how to change/modify/add COPPA with VB.
      My NASCAR Forum

Comment

You rule, Racefan :)

Well.. there is still some confusion though.

According to the customer support manager at Vbulletin forums, I still need COPPA, even if I *do* specify they need to be 18 or over to register.

(Either that or he didn't read my question and gave me a quick "yes" answer .. lol)

I'd like to avoid having to do COPPA.. but I don't know where to put the age agreement in Vbulletin (I looked at your link and think it's different in phpbb2). I will keep looking for it tho.

Why avoid COPPA? --I really don't need or want kids under 18 on the site, regardless... the subject matter is games, yes, but more oriented toward concerns and issues adult gamers will have.

Am I going about it all the wrong way?

Thanks again!

TS

Comment

Originally posted by Americankiwi
          You rule, Racefan :)

Well.. there is still some confusion though.

According to the customer support manager at Vbulletin forums, I still need COPPA, even if I *do* specify they need to be 18 or over to register.

(Either that or he didn't read my question and gave me a quick "yes" answer .. lol)

I'd like to avoid having to do COPPA.. but I don't know where to put the age agreement in Vbulletin (I looked at your link and think it's different in phpbb2). I will keep looking for it tho.

Why avoid COPPA? --I really don't need or want kids under 18 on the site, regardless... the subject matter is games, yes, but more oriented toward concerns and issues adult gamers will have.

Am I going about it all the wrong way?

Thanks again!

TS
          My suggestion is to go ahead and set up the COPPA info. Like I said, it's unlikely it will ever be needed, but why put yourself in a bad spot, y'know?

The intent of the Act is to prevent harm to children, so there's really nothing wrong with including it. If you still want to change the wording to make things a little more clear as far as age goes on your site, let me know. I'll just need your cpanel info but I should be able to fix you up.
          My NASCAR Forum

Comment

COPPA applies to kids under the age of 13, not 18. If you have a website who's intended audience is above the age of 13 then I don't believe you need it.

Also, although it does apply to website hosted in the US... you don't live in the US so its not like your going to get arrested. The worst that will probably happen is your hosting will be suspended until you start using COPPA.

Also, its not like any kid in the right mind is going to go "Mommy mommy, fill out this form, fax it in, so I can continue to register at this website and post in their forums".... the kid is just going to say their older then 13 and continue to register.

Register/Login Script
            Do you use a Password Protected Directory? Need a way to allow users to make their own account, try my .htaccess Login Script

Comment

Hi again guys,

Yeah that is what I thought. It's just that it's confusing when the manager of Vbulletin forums throws you a quick answer - "Yes you need COPPA" regardless (I'm almost sure now he didn't really read what I asked). - and by the way, I am starting to appreciate this forum because of your thoughtful answers!

Race, I see what you mean but someone else on the other board also finally answered - and said as long as I choose the "third" option which is to "Deny registration to users under 13" then I am still in compliance, since the kids can't register at all.

I totally agree about covering your b-hind...but even if I did, I still really don't want kids posting on the site. So if I went ahead and did COPPA, I'd have to allow them to post.. and as Wat said, not that they'd want to register on my site anyway - it's about games, but not really topics kids care about.

I'll stick with vbulletin's option 3 for the moment, assuming it will work.

Cheers and thanks again guys!

TS

Comment

I didn't realize vBulletin gave you that option. Perfect.
                My NASCAR Forum

Comment

yeah sorry about that..I didn't find the third option until later on.. but you'd think that the manager there would have known to tell me. ;)

Vbulletin is really worth the money, now that i've seen it.. but not so sure their moderators are as helpful and cool as y'all are

Comment

Working...
                  X