Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting a shopping cart???

Hi Guys,

Just a quick question..(Like they are ever quick!!!!)

On the subject of shopping carts..

Firstly: are they easy to add to your site?
    All I want is a cart that can mount up, then send the details to my e-mail account for processing..

Secondly: is it a pre-requisit that you must sign up to the data protection act when you have an online system?

I have just had a company that is going to do a cart for me and charge 6% per sale on each sale (I'm told this is quite good?!?)

Payments go straight into the company account from this site...

Oh, what to do, what to do...
    I think I can do it, but am a little aprehensive! Then again, I was aprehensive about building a web site! Look at me now!!!! Lol

Marc Sanders
    Marc Sanders

Currently working on: www.fakeitbikinistore.co.uk
    Messenger: tealc_of_chulak********.com

My philosophy: keep your friends close, enemies closer.....!

Re: Starting a shopping cart???

1) How many products do you have that you want to sell?
    2) Are they tangible products? ( Is shipping required)
    3) What countries are you marking in? UK, Global???

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Sanders
      Hi Guys,

Just a quick question..(Like they are ever quick!!!!)

On the subject of shopping carts..

Firstly: are they easy to add to your site?
      All I want is a cart that can mount up, then send the details to my e-mail account for processing..

Secondly: is it a pre-requisit that you must sign up to the data protection act when you have an online system?

I have just had a company that is going to do a cart for me and charge 6% per sale on each sale (I'm told this is quite good?!?)

Payments go straight into the company account from this site...

Oh, what to do, what to do...
      I think I can do it, but am a little aprehensive! Then again, I was aprehensive about building a web site! Look at me now!!!! Lol

Marc Sanders
      Hi Marc, I use a free cart called Mals-e.com (http://mals-e.com ) I like it. It's not too difficult to set up and use and it doesn't cost a penny! There are plenty of others out there too.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
      291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Mark-

You asked about 2 things in your initial inquiry:
        a. You said you wanted your "cart" to simply forward to your email for processing (off-line, processing, right?), which would indicate emailCommerce....something you can do either in BV as you now are , or with an extended PayPal function.....AND.....
        b. A cart that would present to your accounting (true integration, say with Quickbooks). This is true eCommerce, and you can do this with Soholaunch, the mega-cart osCommerce (also available from VH via Fantastico!), and even Cube and Zen, all free for you to use as a VH client.

When it comes to carts and implementation, both Amanda, myself, and some others (including Generals VodaHost and Race) have gone 'round and 'round trying to determine the best route. For Amanda, in keeping with her penchant for ultimate design customization, and to preserve her BV front-end, she is the expert on other carts brought to VH (VH supports 3rd party carts besides those offered in your account already).
        In the same vein as maximum design ability, I opted to strike first with Soho, after first getting a template designed for me just the way I wanted. To me, learning the ins-and-outs of a cart system as simplistic as Soho when compared to OSC made sense....I already know that OSC is the cart system that will be required by my 2 other sites that need the sheer size and complexity of merchandise and accounting management it provides. I am simply playing leapfrog: BV to Soho to OSC to world domination!! LOLOL

And I am glad you picked up on the concept of compliance with the new standards of practices concerning what we Yanks address with our Patriot Act, and I'm sure the UK has guidlines in the same manner. Anyone based in the US or depositing in a US based Bank is required to demonstrate compliance with the Patriot Act since February 6, 2006, whether or not they are aware of it. This should have been made clear by the voluntary introduction of the "SecureCard" program, advertised first by Visa (part of the anti-fraud methods include the 3-digit security code on reverse of card, and ZIP code billing verification). If you choose to serve the US as well, then you might consider a full-blown cart (Soho, OSC, Cube, ZEN, etc.) and a Merchant Credit Account, opting to enroll in the Secure Visa/MC Online Payment Program....you will get the newest credit validation (dual recourse) services and the advanced gateway platform as well at an affordable rate. Internationally, this is available from VeriSign. Make your first inquiries with your bank, then shop for independent providers....you will notice rates and levels of services vary, and be able to choose much more selectively based on real needs as opposed to what others are simply "promoting".
        **This also makes the case for every site maintaining a Security Certificate......

The rates? Ask Amanda....she's in your neck of the woods!
        . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
        * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Answer my questions and I will point you in the right direction.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
          291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Well, there are about 2000 products.

I have been advised by a number of people to use mal's ecommerce.
            I already have a paypal account set up, and the site has quite a lot of the images already..

I have registered with the DPA - which wasn't that difficult to be honest.
            Needed this in the end as I will need to take names and addresses to send the products to..Basic cover was £35 per year (not bad considering what could potentially go wrong I guess)

I think Mal's ecommerce is going to work for me - soho launch seems slightly complicated (I know there are tutorials but I like using Blue Voda and the drag n drop ease..)

thanks for the info guy's....
            Marc Sanders

Currently working on: www.fakeitbikinistore.co.uk
            Messenger: tealc_of_chulak********.com

My philosophy: keep your friends close, enemies closer.....!

Comment

It all depends how serious you are about your business and your budget.
              mals is ok, but it is not as good as osCommerce and it is also a third party
              service. I would prefer to have complete control over my business and my
              cart.

Go with osCommerce, if you can afford it, get a customized template with
              a merchant account. You will be much happier in the long term.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
              291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

I use a 3rd party for processing - but with my own merchant account - and prefer it over OsCommerce - but I do recommend you have your own merchant account with the size store you're having - and the only reason I don't use OsCommerce - is I want the control over my webpages design-wise - without their templates.

But my 3rd party account is a paid account, and the company is recommended by one of the largest US banks and merchant accounts - which is how I decided on using them.
                Beth
                A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
                SEO - The Basics

Comment

Hi,

I am about to launch a site with potentially a similar number of products as Marc but my "products" are chunks of information contributed by members of my site. Apart from the product summary page in the catalogue, the detailed information will only be accessible to other members via annual paid membership or on a pay-per-download basis with site profits shared with contributing members.

Can any of these carts allow site members to complete a template for these information products (e-products?) that only I can then upload after I review its content (to maintain site quality and avoid anything offensive)? It will take me forever to launch this number of products if I have to personally cut and paste each member's contributions to the catalogue.

Many thanks for any help, suggestions or guidance anyone can give.

Luckyman

Comment

As far as I have found (poring through every cart User Manual), the only way you can restrict access to your cart is by putting it into a password protected directory - which can be done with a front-end page, linking it to the cart in the protected directory - but in order to divulge yourself of doing the "loading" you would have to allow everyone else access to your Control Panel, since your cart is loaded from there. Creating a "Template" that can be simply 'loaded' to your cart has to originate from the cart itself, also via the Control Panel. So, the answer to creating a template you can distribute is "No."

Loading your cart is really quite easy (via FTP), so you might want to simply format a Word or PDF document with restrictions on characters for the text fields, a place for an image (?), and for the "Item Description" fields that you would simply collect, review/edit, and then bunch to upload as a streamlined process.

Your front-end could be done in BV8 for complete customization and control over directed linkage (presenting clear instructions prior to visitor/member being prompted for password), and achieve the results you are looking for.

If anyone has any better ideas, please jump in!

Comment

Vasili, many thanks for your ideas and for confirming that a template cannot be used. Formatting a Word document may be a solution for me to explore but could you explain "bunch to upload" for me please?

I should clarify, I do not want to restrict access to my cart itself as this would contain only the summary of each information product. However, following through on your suggestions, the detailed information behind each product could be in the password-protected directory with annual subscribers being sent the password automatically on payment via Paypal. For customers paying for a single piece of information, maybe there is a way to link Paypal checkout to the detailed information page which again could automatically grant access without my manual intervention? Does that sound possible?

Forgive me asking please but do you think this suggested approach would work with any carts or do you have a particular one in mind?

Thanks again for your support.
                      Luckyman

Comment

Sorry, Lucky, I should have used "batch" instead. As in collecting a 'batch' of forms, and tasking them as a 'session' to ease the time needed.

I understand the logistics of what you are trying to accomplish, but working within the limitations of how files relate (or fail to!) and the differences in software, you might be better off thinking of it this way:

1. Members fill out a Form, which is properly formatted to be easily loaded (by you) into the cart for "publishing"
                        2. You personally load them into the cart, after review/edit, using a simplified processing theme
                        3. The 'approved forms' are then filed/stored in a separate password-protected folder within your Voda account (as a sub-directory/folder)
                        4. These Approved Forms can then be reviewed or updated at will by the subscribing members prior to the next cycle of publishing or renewal

This would allow you to:
                        a. keep unwanted persons out of your Control Panel;
                        b. allow the secure access to the Forms available to Members upon demand;
                        c. institute the interaction of Members to participate as much as possible in the creation/updating the information;
                        d. create the posture of real 'service' you present, which now requires a modicum of compliance also;
                        e. Creates a single-source of Forms from which you can organize and publish at will --simplfying the whole ordeal.
                        In fact, you can actually set up an unlimited number of secure "folders" - one for each Member, each with a unique password - to maintain ultimate security and prevention of hacking other member's Forms....

The Form is limited only by the information constraints of the fileds allowed in the Soho cart, for example, and will display as a typical cart - pure information/text or not - and will be really easy to maintain and give that professional organization you are seeking......this would allow you to even use a modified Free Template, keeping it Spartan, if you will. On the other hand, the cost for a truly customized Soho template from TemplateZapper.com is incredibly cheap, and might be justified with the solution discussed here. I personally would opt for the TZ template done the way I want, and to set up the site along these lines...anything to make it simpler without compromise from the original business plan.

Additionally, your PayPal transaction/confirmation formatting might include an access code, special links, or anything beyond the tradtional "Thank You" if you want....me, I think that is devling on complication again, as where do you think you are sending them? Their secured access "folder" isn't even set up yet, is it? And, since it only takes a couple of minutes to do yourself, I would think you would want to verify payment receipt, send a personal email (this is where you can provide them an access code), and officially "Welcome" them after setting up their 'account'.....

Is this better?

Comment

Originally posted by Luckyman
                          I should clarify, I do not want to restrict access to my cart itself as this would contain only the summary of each information product. However, following through on your suggestions, the detailed information behind each product could be in the password-protected directory with annual subscribers being sent the password automatically on payment via Paypal. For customers paying for a single piece of information, maybe there is a way to link Paypal checkout to the detailed information page which again could automatically grant access without my manual intervention? Does that sound possible?
                          OK...after reading through your questions AGAIN, I see what your issues really are (Finally, huh?).
                          1. The cart will display whatever you allow it to, as herein mentioned brief product descriptions only....visitors are then prompted to PAY (to get more info, to get the product, or to GET A SUBSCRIPTION
                          a. In your "catalog" cart of informational e-products (e.g. scripts, HTML, etc.) which is continually being updated by submissions from partner/subscribers, a brief description of the 'item' is all that is visible until they pay for the rest of the "script" (for example), which is revealed only after the transaction is complete....I would have no problem presenting this, as long as I fully supported my Purchase Policy, and Satisfaction Guarantee, whaterver that is to be.
                          b. I would 'list' all items available with these brief descriptions, all with the same basic cost of the subscription/membership price, which when paid, grants me access to the entire offering, each priced accordingly on top of the membership fee.
                          2. The front-end cart, then will collect Membership fees in every instance, while displaying available "inventory" in the Membership Catalog (which is in actuality, a "cloned" cart of this front-end version). The Members Catalog/cart is an eact copy of the front-end cart, only it is in a password protected directory, and has expanded "descriptions" of individual items, and individual pricing as well.

I would still keep the Forms in a separate folder, though, and treat them individually also. This allows the submittors access and updating, and really, it is no huge effort on your part - it IS a business, right?

I would also keep the same methodology about confirming PayPal Membership fees (personalized thank you, etc.) AND set up individual passwords to the protected cart...you can issue unlimited passwords. You need to do this, as subscriber terms expire individually, and for other reasons also.....you'll find this out.

This is the best way I could figure out for you......1 customized Soho template (clonable), 2 Soho carts, 2 secured steps. You might have to have each cart in a separate account, though. Still no big deal, really. First account has the Forms and front-end cart, second account has the Membership Catalog...it's all about linking, that's all.

Comment

Wow! Many thanks for all your effort and creativity in helping me out here. My head is spinning a little at the moment but if I can create what you propose then I think this could solve most of my issues. (Anyone who has paid for the annual membership gets to download the products for free but I think I could price the products at £0 for paid up members, right? This would mean I could still track the number of times they were downloaded for profit sharing purposes.)

As you suggest Soholaunch, I think the next step for me is to go away and do some reading on the forums, watch the tutorials and have a play with the cart at a more simple level (I’ve only really looked at BlueVoda and OsCommerce to date). Then I’ll come back to this and try exactly what you suggest. I’ll let you know how it works out.

Thanks again for being so helpful and giving so freely of your time.
                            Luckyman

P.S. Your website looks just great! Striking design, very professional and really easy to navigate.

Comment

No problem, Lucky!
                              (And thanks for your kind comments....all of my sites are still pending completion, unfortunately, but I appreciate your encouragements!)

As you can now see, you can accomplish almost anything worthwhile as a VodaHost client, being so fortunate to avail yourself to the wonderful tools and technologies made freely available! You can always count on your peers to offer sound efforts on your behalf also, unlike other communities.

And, the little slogan we use so frequently has thus been demonstrated as an essential part of (business) success online:
                              "Plan Your Work, and Work Your Plan!"

Comment

Working...
                              X