Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Making changes without slogging through every page?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making changes without slogging through every page?

Ok, I will try and explain this one as simply as possible, bear with me...

Ok, you make a site up of say 100 pages. The way I do it is this.. I make my home page, put my links on there to my site, i.e "about us" "contact" Links" etc etc....

Then when the home page is finished, I save it, then I save as... the next page. The point being there is so that everything I want on every page stays in the same place... are you still with me ?

Ok, now my problem is this.... once I have made 50 pages, 70, 100 or however many... Then I suddenly think "Ok, I need to add this to my menu bar". Problem I have now is I have to change EVERY PAGE to suit.

So My questions are thus:

Is there an easier way to do this?

Does anyone even understand what I am going on about?

Do I understand what I am going on about?

and What's for tea ma?

Thank you in anticipation that someone can at least answer the top question
    Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

Re: Making changes without slogging through every page?

Hi Marincky,
    afraid not, the only thing i can suggest is make a cup of tea, get a plate of Biscuits and cakes and get stuck in. don't be tempted to copy and paste as this will corse more Headache later.

Comment

Thanks mate! Oh and by the way... I actually come from a very small planet called golectomarus, it's about three zillion light years away.

zackalbamba!
      Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

Comment

The easy way is to use an i-frame for your menu bar (and or header/footer)
        and then you only need to change 1 page and that change will be shown on all your other pages...........

have fun.....Oh you will have to put your i-frame on all existing pages first.
        Have fun
        Regards..... David

Step by Step Visual Tutorials for the complete beginner
        Newbies / Beginners Forum
        FREE Membership Login Scripts: - Meta Tags Analyzer
        My Social Networking Site - Free Contact Forms
        Finished your New website!! Now get it noticed Here:

Comment

Marnicky,

What david is refering to -an example can be found here:
          http://www.netisopen.com/computer/BGMT001/bgmusic.html

You could modify to the set up a couple ways. 1- have the menu on the side and the I-Frame extend from top to bottom 2- have the header and menu across the top and then the I-Frame stretches from fully across the
          width of the page and below the header and menu bars.

This is a great method to accomplish what you are looking to do. But- if you wish to link a person to a specific page, that page will show up and not the header and menu. That is the draw back. I had this set up but it did not work out for me as I needed the ability to reference certain pages to members on the forum. When they pulled up that page- the headers were not present. And depending on what method you choose (as mentioned above) you page could have a large blank area on the left if your menu bar is set up to go in that area.

It has advantages and disadvantages as you can imagine.
          A work around might be to break up the site into sections- each section set up in this manner. That way you could direct them to the section to surf for what they are looking for as opposed to linking a direct page.

Hope that helps some.

Andy
          PHP- is a blast!

Comment

Originally posted by Marincky
            Thanks mate! Oh and by the way... I actually come from a very small planet called golectomarus, it's about three zillion light years away.

zackalbamba!
            ahh I Know it well, went the on my hoils in 98. lovely place.
            david's and andy's idea is good idea, but if you want your links in different place's on your page or different order gets abit harder.

Comment

Not really, you could always move the i-frame on certain pages to accommodate those different link positions.

The different order could be solved by having 2 or more different menu pages.....beats having to change Every page...
              Have fun
              Regards..... David

Comment

As i said a good idea in Principle. But if you already had 100 plus pages with buttons, text links, different widths and lenghts etc. all this would have to be taken into acount, you can't fit a page that is 800 x 2000 into a iframe 500 x 1000 with out scroll bars or it looking like a squashed pizza. i would of throught it better design a site around iframes than to try and put them in afther. if you started a site with iframes then yes but to make all those change's to a site that is aready 100+ pages hhmmm

Comment

I quite agree with you, but what if the sites grows another 100 pages
                  which by the look of it is quite posible.

A good design would have taken that into account, but we are not all good
                  web designers.

I just hope that he gets his problem solved, one way or another.

good luck with the site
                  Have fun
                  Regards..... David

Comment

Originally posted by davidundalicia
                    I quite agree with you, but what if the sites grows another 100 pages
                    which by the look of it is quite posible.

A good design would have taken that into account, but we are not all good
                    web designers.

I just hope that he gets his problem solved, one way or another.

good luck with the site
                    Make some more tea and get more cakes and biscuits.

How true, Hands up all those who have added, changed something though.

We have all learnt by are mistakes. the answer is to keep at it, and not to give up on it.

Comment

Working...
                    X