PDA

View Full Version : help with Jalbum please

asirimarco
07-05-2006, 03:07 AM
after reading all the raves about jalbum i downloaded it - seems like it would be fun to work with - my problem - i really am a dummy when it comes to ftp etc - in other words i don't know how to complete the publish form - i have searched the forums and found 2 otherds asked same question but cant find answers - FTP Server ???? would the username and password be my cpanel info web directory ????? remote directory???? - i am trying to learn but it is taking awhile
Driving to South America in a Motorhome (http://www.movingon1.com)

beegud2
07-05-2006, 04:13 AM
FTP Server ???? would the username - IP ADDRESS - eg 70.86.134.194
Username: Cpanel user name
Password: Cpanel Password
WebDirectory: public_html
Remote Directory: what you call your album folder - (I call my childrens album Kids Art and so I have folder kidsart to upload album to...)

Hope this helps...shout back if you need more assistance.

bzzz

beegud2
07-05-2006, 04:21 AM
You can take alook at my Photo album to see how I have utilized Jablum for my Travel page and on my kidz for an art gallery. Hope that helps.

LAtah - :)
bzzz

asirimarco
07-05-2006, 04:46 AM
thank you so much - will try it in a.m. when i'm not so brain dead - love your site - i only hope to be 1/4 as good and informed about the web - some day - i will probably be begging for help again soon

circuspet.com
07-05-2006, 07:14 AM
I'm reading this too

beegud2
07-05-2006, 04:14 PM
No problem...and trust me I'm a few chocolate chips short of the cookie when it comes to this stuff...I just happen to like playing with this stuff and going ...'oh s*&t...what'd I do now" and then thank god on hands & knees when I'm able to correct it. I had a Eureka moment with Jablum and the rest is history...lol.

I can't wait to see your pics. Let me knwo if you run into any problems...love Jablum...but there tutorials could be better....and their forum is not the best.

Good Luck

Hi circuspet....

circuspet.com
07-05-2006, 04:33 PM
Hi beezzz,
Ftp is new to me , but so is everything else I've done here. I feel good about the small amount of progress I've made in this great time span.
You mentioned importing to a clear page, might I be having problems
trying to import to this page dogsgallery (http://www.circuspet.com/dogsgallery.html)
I put up a few pics to let any viewers see I haven't died.

beegud2
07-05-2006, 04:46 PM
Hi circuspet...no problem..you are almost there. Here is what you need to do and you'll have your album up and running and then you can update from there whenever you need.
1) place an I frame on the page where you want the photo album to appear.
2) link your i-frame to the album...yours would probably be like this - http:///www.circuspet.com/dogsgallery/index.html
(You will find that when you save your album, Jablum saves your album with an index.heml file so that is why you have to link it that way.)

After you preview...adjust i-frame (height & width) to accommodate your album. You will notice on my travel page the album is almost 900x900 to accommodate my little scribblings at the bottom and the pictures when I open the album.

Ok hope this helps and I'll check back to see how you are doing.

PS - JAblum automatically creates an album folder for you when you tell it to upload, so no need for you to go in cpanel and create one..unless you want to....

beegud2
07-05-2006, 04:52 PM
Ok..having computer problems this morning...andI just lost message I wrote so doing it again.

I'm going to do the quick version so I don't loose this as well.

1) Create I-Frame on page where you want the album to show up.
2) Link I-frame to album - circuspet yours would look like this (probably)
http://www.circuspet.com/dogsgallery/index.html
3) Preview to see if the album is showing up.
4) Adjust I-frame (height & width) to fully accommodate the album. On My Travels page you will notice that I have a large area for my album where as pn my Kidz Artz page I have a small area for the Kids Art Gallery.

Tell me if it works out and if you need anyother help.

bzzz

beegud2
07-05-2006, 04:54 PM
ok..guess the message was not lost just my computer giving problems..sorry for double posting...don't court martial me please..lol

circuspet.com
07-05-2006, 05:08 PM
BEEZZZ.
I had the same thing happen to me yesterday, must be VH.
I have some erands to run now, but I will be back later this morning to try your suggestions.

Thank you

asirimarco
07-05-2006, 07:19 PM
BEEZZZ - thank you so much!!!!!!!! would never have figured that out myself - like you i enjoy the challange - but sometimes without the knowledge it is pretty hard - now i will just experiment with different things - at least i can save and retrieve it in my site - though i took it right back out - many thanks again

asirimarco
07-06-2006, 04:33 AM
Beezzz -- hi again - i have managed to get some jalbums published (and unpublished) but can't figure out how you got your 4 thumbnails on a page so they would open 4 different albums ---help please

beegud2
07-06-2006, 05:13 AM
Arrrggg...oh I jsut wrote everything down and I got logged out while I was writing so...I'm going to the quickie version and we can take it from there...here goes.

******Create folders (they will be your 'mini or sub-albums') with the images you want for each sub- album. You will load these to your image directory and create each album to be placed in your Main Album. Makes it easier that way. You probably have floders for diferent trips etc. like me.

1) Name your Main Album in the OUTPUT DIRECTORY (first section of Jablum when you open)
2) Choose your images for first mini-album and upload and create album.
3) Choose images for second mini and create album -
THE OUTPUT DIRECTORY MUST BE THE SAME FOR EACH MINI-ALBUM
When you preview you should see the thumbnails for each mini-album

Tell me how it goes and we wil lwork from there...good luck.

bzzz

P.S. - stay sane..it is a frustrating thing at times but well worth the effort...lol

circuspet.com
07-06-2006, 05:37 AM
Beezzz,
My erands took more time than planed and after an evening out with a bottle of good wine ... well... I hope your able to be here tomorrow. I know I'll be able to think much more clearly then.

beegud2
07-06-2006, 03:27 PM
I hope your able to be here tomorrow. I know I'll be able to think much more clearly then.

I'mmmm baaaack....okay students our lesson for today will start with a sledge hammer to bring that computer in line...now repeat after me...I will now kill the computer today...

That's right..now that we got that down ..lets' move on to our main lesson...

NEXT question please....sorry too much coffe this morning....hehe...feel like a mad scientist rubbing my hands together...

circuspet.com
07-06-2006, 04:28 PM
Too late for me Beezzz, I've already taken the screw driver to three. It's not as fun as the hammer, but just as effective.

asirimarco
07-06-2006, 08:25 PM
Beezzz - Again thank you so much - i finally got it together - still just practice though - i just put some pictures on my home page with an ugly button to see it it worked YES!!!!!!! IT DID!!!! and yes i am shouting - about scared my husband to death when it came up Many many many thanks - the only problem is i'm not sure if i remember what i did - you will probably hear form me again

asirimarco
07-06-2006, 08:30 PM
like i said i'm back already ---- do you run your photos through picresizer first - i didn't and had some problems with them taking too long to publish and timing out thanx again

beegud2
07-07-2006, 05:23 AM
do you run your photos through picresizer first ?

I actually did run them through the pixsizer and I think it helps to create the album faster.

Sorry..was gone all day as I was on an unexpected day trip and just got back.

PS- As long as the neighbours think you are still sane...you are allright...my family hears maniacal laughter from my room now and finally understand I haven't gone to bedlam but just had a light bulb in my head go off...lol

circuspet.com
07-07-2006, 05:52 AM
Beezzz,

Did you also use Photo Shop? My Jalbum templets seam to go there, Don't know if this is normal or if I have some setting wrong.

beegud2
07-07-2006, 06:00 AM
No did not use photoshop...when you say sem to go there...could you be more specific?...it might turn out to be somthing simple...

circuspet.com
07-07-2006, 06:19 AM
At this time, I don't know how the Jalbum templet even got in my Photo Shop. I noticed it there when I imported the bitmap image from paint to convert it to jpg. I got it cvonverted but it looks ratty and the clear background I thought I was making turned out to be white. I had spent a good amount of time learning Publisher which had transparent backgrounds
I lost that program when I took the screwdriver to the computer I was using (should have used a hammer ). Now I use a scaner program that loads to Paint and I import my images to Photo Shop to crop and resize.
I still don't feel comfortable with either program and need to use them more to learn them.

beegud2
07-07-2006, 04:29 PM
At this time, I don't know how the Jalbum templet even got in my Photo Shop. I noticed it there when I imported the bitmap image from paint to convert it to jpg. I got it cvonverted but it looks ratty and the clear background I thought I was making turned out to be white. I had spent a good amount of time learning Publisher which had transparent backgrounds
I lost that program when I took the screwdriver to the computer I was using (should have used a hammer ). Now I use a scaner program that loads to Paint and I import my images to Photo Shop to crop and resize.
I still don't feel comfortable with either program and need to use them more to learn them.

Hmmm...see I always say go with hammer....screwdriver never works...lol

I think the best thing is to ignore the first Jablum project and create a new one. See if that works for your album. As for the template getting into photoshop ...hmmm...have no clue sorry...real dunce at all else...sorry...

Let me know how it's going.

asirimarco
07-07-2006, 06:01 PM
Beez -Guess I really got lucky to find you to help me - I've put jalbum on my site and it works good - makes me want to put more pictures on my site or change the ones already there - but think i'll leave well enough alone with them. Our Hobbies (http://www.movingon1.com/hobbies.html)
these i ran through pixresizer - do your photos take a long time to publish? i keep getting time outs and having to start again to publish -
thanks again

beegud2
07-07-2006, 11:18 PM
Hey the album looks great...may I make one suggestion...the gifs of the 'hobby' man and woman could be placed on the outside top edge of the album...in netscape the man gif is covering up your title. Also as the you have navigation arrows and thumbnail numbers for the pictures... you might not need the "back one page" button at the bottom. Just a thought...

I love the stained glass and my one of my best friends is an interior deocrator/seamtress/furniture maker etc. I'll have to point out your site to her. Igave her one of my silk saris and she turned it into a beautiful quilt for me. yours are awesome...can' wait to show her.

Good job...isn't it great when it comes togehter....

Oh BTW - it does take a long time to load...I wonder if we can't just ftp the things and see if they will work alright that way..should.

latah
bzzz

circuspet.com
07-07-2006, 11:43 PM
I noticed a lot of images on your beezzz world were just red xes whats up with that teacher. Wrong format maybe? I went to my new Domain to start building a store an there is already something there. If you could give it a look and tell me what you think is going on I really don't understand. Maybe there's elves in my puter....or mad wizards circus road runner harry potter at circuspet.net (http://www.circuspet.net) new domain.

circuspet.com
07-07-2006, 11:46 PM
and I swear I didn't put circus road runner harry potter on the address. this tech stuff is starting to rezemble alchemy............Pooof

LOL I"m still here.

beegud2
07-08-2006, 01:11 AM
Hi circuspet,

Didn't notice the red exes..was it Beez World or Beez Kidz World...if it's the second...I'm having issues ..and lets leave it at that...lol

I used to get the same as what you see when I changed my sub-domain and made it a new domain. It's because I had not pointed my url to the dns servers of VH. To do that and I'll save the explanation as Amanda has done a good job of it already...check the thread below and see if it solves the problem....I'll be back shortly.
http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/saving-naming-previewing-publishing/9205-publishing-add.html#post50685

circuspet.com
07-08-2006, 05:47 PM
Beezzz,

Although my problems are usualy simple ones, I'm simple enough to be stifled by them.
Your site I was seeing red exes on was Beezzzworld.com, and I think the time before I was there there were no red xes.
Thanks for the link. I'll go see what the General has to say. She is a little easier to understand than a lot of techs here.

beegud2
07-08-2006, 06:10 PM
Beezzz,

Although my problems are usualy simple ones, I'm simple enough to be stifled by them.
Your site I was seeing red exes on was Beezzzworld.com, and I think the time before I was there there were no red xes.
Thanks for the link. I'll go see what the General has to say. She is a little easier to understand than a lot of techs here.

Ah..my poor friend...it's always the little simple things in life that leave us going 'what the helllll...." & " ooohhhh...sh***t"....lol and then this happens

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_12_13.gif and its all right..so hang in there...lol

Oh and the redexes..not seeing them ..wht browser are you using...I'm using netscape but will check with IE..thanks for pointing it out...solved my Kidz world issues too...lol

circuspet.com
07-08-2006, 06:20 PM
Beezzz,
I think I need an avatar of the crying towel.
Yes I am using EI , and I think I'm making progress on the dns pointed
whatever that means......... I just know someone will read this and send me a link to the glossery
As soon as I iron out the dns problem I'll be back to squezzz more answers to my simple questions about Jalbum

beegud2
07-08-2006, 06:48 PM
Here's one that might work....
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_4.gif

or this
http://marky_usa.tr****.com/Gifs/Crying_Baby.gif

couldn't find the crying towel....sorry
The dns thingy was confusing at first so if you need more help..no problem..just post back...latah

asirimarco
07-08-2006, 07:09 PM
Beezzz - thanks for suggestion i made the changes and like it better - now i am trying to put together an album of strange things we have see on the road and i cant remember how i did the first one - mind like a sieve - will keep struggling and writing down steps when saving - just save project? save as album? too many choices. without you i couldn't have done it
www.movingon1.com (http://www.movingon1.com)

gemini13
07-23-2006, 09:12 PM
I have carefully read all your postings and followed your instructions but Im still in trouble.
I created a web page called 'studentgallery' and I created an album called 'album'. I would like my album to appear on the 'studentgallery' page.
This is what I did:
I published the 'studentgallery' page to public_html on the site and did the same with the album. The album appears on the File Manager as a folder, whereas the 'studentgallery' is a file. How do I link the album so that it shows on the 'studentgallery' page when I open that page.
I tried everything I read about, I even tried inserting some script but I am not succeeding at all I WILL not give up, but I am desperate and need your help please!

asirimarco
07-24-2006, 05:47 AM
What i did was made my page and put an inline frame on it and then in the inline frames properties i linked it to my album - so on your "studentgallery" page put in a inline frame (third icon down on left side) make it as big as you think you need it (you can adjust it again later) in properties link it to your album..... http:// www. yoursite.com/album (dont add the spaces) hope this works for you

gemini13
07-24-2006, 08:14 AM
Thank you so much for your help. Unfortunately it's not working. I am still using a temporary url and therefore it's not www.mysite.com (http://www.mysite.com) but what was assigned to me by VH. Do you think that this makes a difference?
The whole thing is driving me crazy. I spent all my Saturday and most of today trying. If you have any other suggestion I will be eternally grateful.

circuspet.com
07-24-2006, 11:03 AM
Gemini13:

I believe
Your temp URL should only be used until your DNS conection is complete
( a day or two ). If you have published with the temp, you will need to
change all URL sensitive fields......... The publish drop down card and
I-frame are both URL sensitive.
If this is not your problem please post your URL so dthers can view and see what's going on.