Accessing files from a differnt computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accessing files from a differnt computer

I just created and uploaded several pages while at work today and my site is up and running fine. Now that I am home from work, I would like to continue to work on these pages but I didn't bring the files home with me. Is there any way to access these files and save them on my home computer? Or do I have to wait until tomorrow when I can copy them from my work computer?

Originally posted by Thin
    I just created and uploaded several pages while at work today and my site is up and running fine. Now that I am home from work, I would like to continue to work on these pages but I didn't bring the files home with me. Is there any way to access these files and save them on my home computer? Or do I have to wait until tomorrow when I can copy them from my work computer?
    Do a search,theres several topics about this.
    I still havn't fig.a easy way

Comment

Hi

Introduce yourself. Open Discussions, Tell a Joke, Gossip, Chit Chat about anything. (Almost Anything:) No Web Hosting or BlueVoda talk permitted in this forum. We have plenty of other forums for that purpose. Most importantly, HAVE FUN!

A few of us use these systems
      www.bluevodaexchangelink.com
      BluevodaExchangeLink Help Center
      Bluevodaexchangelink Forum

The only place for bluevoda site to be linked with!

Comment

the My pc works great,but in our case ,we have different people working on the site,and the privacy of the PC,is thing we're dealing with.
        but we're still trying different approches at solving this

Comment

By default BlueVoda puts your documents and images in your create website My Documents folder, but you can change this behaviour:
          1. Open regedit and find:
          HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\BlueVoda 6.5.5\BlueVoda 6.5.5\Settings

2. Create a String key called:
          DocumentPath

3. Give it the value C:\BlueVoda

The next time you start BlueVoda it autmatically creates this folder and use it as your document folder.

4. Now when you transfer your files from one PC to another, all you have to do is copy the (complete) contents of this folder.

Note: you will have to do this on both computers.

Second option:
          Save your file as a template. Copy the template file to the another computer and select New Page->Create from template to continue editing.
          Forum Moderator
          BlueVoda Spe******t

Comment

cpanel

I have a question,is their away to store the files in cpanel
            so that you can access them from any Pc.
            it seems like it should be possible or is this a Stupid Question
            this way you should be able to work from any Pc as long as you sign in

Comment

Originally posted by Darrell
              I have a question,is their away to store the files in cpanel
              so that you can access them from any Pc.
              it seems like it should be possible or is this a Stupid Question
              this way you should be able to work from any Pc as long as you sign in

you can just upload to a folder in cplanel( make the folder 1st) using FPT, then down load again then upload etc

but could be alot information you have to keep up loading and down loading
              www.bluevodaexchangelink.com
              BluevodaExchangeLink Help Center
              Bluevodaexchangelink Forum

The only place for bluevoda site to be linked with!

Comment

[QUOTE=Pablo]By default BlueVoda puts your documents and images in your My Documents folder, but you can change this behaviour:

DocumentPath

The next time you start BlueVoda it autmatically creates this folder and use it as your document folder.

4. Now when you transfer your files from one PC to another, all you have to do is copy the (complete) contents of this folder.

--------------------------
                Thanks for that Pablo.
                Have just tried it, took me a couple of shots to get the registry key right, but working fine now.

One thing I noticed:
                If you've already made your web site with the BlueVoda directory in "MyDocuments", and THEN change it to C:\ , you get all sorts of "can't find image file" stuff going on when you next try to edit (on the 2nd machine, in my case).
                It keeps on looking for the C:\mydocuments\username\bluevoda\..... path.

Also trying to "save" or "save as" to get rid of the "mydocuments" Path, doesn't seem to work, BlueVoda throws up an error and "gracefully" shuts down, everything seems to stay intact though.

After "MUCH" trial and lots of error, I found that copying the contents of a page, and pasting it onto a new page, then deleting the original file (via "My computer"), then renaming your new page to what you need it to be (ie the name of the original file that can't let go of the "My documents path"), seemed to work for me.

I now have my work machine and my home machine set with BlueVoda in C:\ , and just upload the BlueVoda folder (or the bits of it that I need) to a seperate directory (up a level) on the server, and download it to wherever I happen to be working.

Cheers
                Steve W

Comment

For those of us (me at least) who seemed to have screwed everything up by trying to follow this - is there a way that exactly what you typed into where and how this was all done can be written down, I (me) would surely appreciate it.

I've tried a lot of things and hopefully have not screwed all my work up.
                  Thanks

[QUOTE=Steve W]
                  Originally posted by Pablo
                  By default BlueVoda puts your documents and images in your My Documents folder, but you can change this behaviour:

DocumentPath

--------------------------
                  Thanks for that Pablo.
                  Have just tried it, took me a couple of shots to get the registry key right, but working fine now.

One thing I noticed:
                  If you've already made your web site with the BlueVoda directory in "MyDocuments", and THEN change it to C:\ , you get all sorts of "can't find image file" stuff going on when you next try to edit (on the 2nd machine, in my case).
                  It keeps on looking for the C:\mydocuments\username\bluevoda\..... path.

Also trying to "save" or "save as" to get rid of the "mydocuments" Path, doesn't seem to work, BlueVoda throws up an error and "gracefully" shuts down, everything seems to stay intact though.

After "MUCH" trial and lots of error, I found that copying the contents of a page, and pasting it onto a new page, then deleting the original file (via "My computer"), then renaming your new page to what you need it to be (ie the name of the original file that can't let go of the "My documents path"), seemed to work for me.

I now have my work machine and my home machine set with BlueVoda in C:\ , and just upload the BlueVoda folder (or the bits of it that I need) to a seperate directory (up a level) on the server, and download it to wherever I happen to be working.

Cheers
                  Steve W

Comment

Hi, bjaeger,

WOW!... How do you pronounce that :~)

Which bit do you mean?

1. Changing the default so that the BlueVoda folder sits in C:\ instead of my documents? - (Pablo pretty much covered that, and although I'm no regedit expert, I got it on my third attempt) - so can give you a "click by click" of what "I" did in W2KPro and XPPro, but with no guarenties that it will work for you :~)

or

2. Modifying / Repairing the webpage.bvp files that don't like the change of address, AFTER you managed to change the BlueVoda location? - Easy in principle, but VERY time consuming depending on the size of your site.

(I only signed up to VodaHost last week, and only have about 3 experimental pages on my experimental (not even live yet!) website, so repairing it was not a problem, as it didn't matter if I got it wrong.
                    I reckon that completed sites would take quite some time to repair, if the same thing happens.

Suggestion:
                    (For bjaeger - and anyone else in the same boat)

If you haven't already tried it, and got messed up part way through.
                    Leave your original machine alone, and get BlueVoda working in C:\ on your remote machine first, then transfer the folder (or files, if you can decide which ones you need) From your original machine to your remote machine.
                    Get everything working there, publish it and check that it's OK, THEN try the same gig on your main machine.

I'm sure that it's the move from "MyDocuments" to "C:\" that causes the confusion, and not the move from "original machine" to "new machine"

Hope this helps.

Steve W

-----------------------

[QUOTE=bjaeger]For those of us (me at least) who seemed to have screwed everything up by trying to follow this - is there a way that exactly what you typed into where and how this was all done can be written down, I (me) would surely appreciate it.

I've tried a lot of things and hopefully have not screwed all my work up.
                    Thanks

Comment

Working...
                    X