H1 headings and Meta tags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1 headings and Meta tags

Bethers and I constantly hop on a topic I haven't seen here, and that's using H1, H2, H3 tags in the body of your pages, and even tho most search engines don't use meta tags in the same way they used to, they still come up.

Occassionally you will see in search results a site that has a bunch of words as their description, and thats because they have incorrectly spammed their meta tags with nothing but keywords even in the description, while it might get them recognition in the short term, spamming IS NEVER good for anybody very long. Some search engines still pick the first 200 words for a site they come across, and generally its whats in your meta tag. Some PAID services now rely more on the d.c. meta ( ie:<meta= d.c. description, or d.c. keyword) as opposed to just a plain ole meta tag. Either way, it still doesn't hurt to use your meta tag descriptors on every page. Make sure descriptions are COMPLETE sentences and not jumbled keywords. Use keywords found only on that page and recommended is under 256 characters. Generally you need no where near that many.

H tags, or H1, H2 headings should be exactly that. Just like what a newspaper does. What they do for you is HILIGHT your content so that a visitor can glean the information to be found on your website at a glance. These tags should also not be spammed. They should not be the SAME as your title of your pages, but should be relevant to your content. Use them in the same order as numbered. An H2 heading shouldnt come before the H1 and so on. Generally, you should only use one h1 tag per page, as thats your main heading. There are exceptions to every rule and I have seen H1 tags used several times on a page to span a seperate topic not related to the the first one. Search engines do give credence to these headings as well. Personally, I work on using an H1 tag on each page of my stores as much as possible. Sometimes the title suffices and there just isnt one available or that wouldnt be a repeat of the title, and thats ok. This is just ONE more tool to use. Not a requirement.

Dont confuse headings with introductions, like, "Welcome to our site" as those arent keywords, or heading up a topic. Mimic newspaper headlines to get an idea of how to do it. For instance, If i were to write an h1 for this topic, my heading might be: "Using H1 and Meta Tags Correctly."
    My h2 for this topic might be; H1 Tags Explained, and ; Meta Tags Explained. I used two h2 as they were equal in value in my opinion, but did not supercede the page title or the h1 title.

If you are selling, you also need to use good keywords on your products, and good meta tags on your product pages if they are available to you. I cant promise you that the search engines actually use these, but good clean content NEVER hurts you.

Lastly, content, well written and not spammed, and as original as possible on every page and as professional as possible is MOST important. So use a spell checker. I am very guilty of internet typing and forgetting to capitalize and punctuate and I am constantly having to check and recheck my pages. Proper use of H1 tags and meta tags can help you achieve that, along with all the other posts here.

Hope this isnt clear as mud! but clear to understand, and If not please ask for clarification or if I can help in anyway.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Re: H1 headings and Meta tags

Thank you Karen, very enlightning article....
    Have fun
    Regards..... David

Step by Step Visual Tutorials for the complete beginner
    Newbies / Beginners Forum
    FREE Membership Login Scripts: - Meta Tags Analyzer
    My Social Networking Site - Free Contact Forms
    Finished your New website!! Now get it noticed Here:

Comment

And if you do a search - you'll see my post on how to place them on your page! Some people say they aren't important any more, but I can attest that some of the search engines seem to still be using them - and they do show the se that you find them important - so that is always good to do.
      Beth
      A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
      SEO - The Basics

Comment

Hello davidundalicia, Bethers, Karen Mac,

Excuse my butting in but I've been reading these posts and am wondering where H tags are located? I've had a quick look at your previous posts Bethers but dont think I'll be able to find the previous one you referred too!

Many thanks, Ruth.
        Mystical Curiosity Shop

Comment

Think of a newspaper - the most important headline is the big one at the top of the page - that would be the h1 - and that is the best place for your h1 tag on your website - after your header - before the info. If you have others sections on the page that you can put headers above - those would be the h2's-h6's.

Each page can be optimized this way.
          Beth

SEO and Marketing Tools
          SEO - The Basics

Comment

Hello Bethers,

Thanks for that!

Ruth
            Mystical Curiosity Shop

Comment

I can also attest that the H1 tags work well in MSN. They don't really seem to matter in the top search results for Google...at least in my industry they don't seem to appear to be used on the top sites.

To see if a competitor is using the <h1> tags, go to their site, select view, page source, select edit>find> type h1 into the search box and you can see if the top results are using this tag on their page. I always search the competitions websites up to h6.

Hope this helps a bit!
              Affordable Medical Insurance
              Discount Dental Plan
              Washington State Health Insurance
              Temporary Health Insurance
              Homeowner Insurance Quote

Comment

Motoxx - Google is still thought to use them to help them in ranking you - however, that doesn't mean they'll move you to the top for that term just cuz you used them! They have so many criteria and that is only one.

And using headlines without the h tags can work with some se's also.

Just hedging all bets when we use all available to us and do it right!

Used wrong, h tags can hurt your site - but that's true of almost everything you put on your site. Make sure it's, first and foremost, going to be good for the users of the site.
                Beth

SEO and Marketing Tools
                SEO - The Basics

Comment

I totally agree with you Bethers. I was just making an observation about what I found. Hope I didn't give anyone the impression to NOT use H1 tags. Anything you have in your arsenal that can help you should always be used. I had actually been experimenting with these alot the last couple of weeks. I would recomend to anyone use them. You certainly won't get penalized if they are used coreectly. They can only help.
                  Affordable Medical Insurance
                  Discount Dental Plan
                  Washington State Health Insurance
                  Temporary Health Insurance
                  Homeowner Insurance Quote

Comment

good info!

Comment

Hi Karen Mac -

I would like to add h1, h2 headers to my site and have read through your excellent article, but still don't understand - how do I add actually physically add these? What I have gleaned from elsewhere on the internet is that I need to have <h1> etc before and after the text in the html, is that true with BlueVoda? Where do I put this in the BlueVoda system? In the "inside header" in the hmtl tab?

Would it just say:
                      <h1>this is my header1<h1>
                      <h2>this is my header2<h2>

What if I have iframes and don't really want visible headers on the page because they're already in the iframe text? Can I still put the h1 tags in my html?

Thanks very much for any help Karen!!

Best -
                      TP

Comment

If you aren't doing them visibly, do NOT do them - that is trying to fool the se's and will hurt you, maybe even get you banned.

Iframes can also hurt with se's - but not always. And you can put the headers into the text that's within the iframe - as long as you can write the text in html.

A basic h1 would be written like this:
                        <h1><font face="verdana" size="4">your headline here</font></h1>

If you want to center the text, thatopening code should be BEFORE the first <h1> and the closing after the </h1>

You can use any text, size, color, etc - by putting that into the font area.
                        Beth

SEO and Marketing Tools
                        SEO - The Basics

Comment

Thanks so much for your reply with great details on exactly what to write, Beth. Do I put that code into the html tab on BlueVoda - in the InsideHeaders area? (Sorry, I am totally new to html, BlueVoda makes it so easy to not ever have go into html...)

Comment

I put it into elements on the page where I want it to appear. In BV - the icons going down the left side of the page - the top one is an html box. Click on it - put it where you need it on the page - make sure you make it the size it needs to be for what you're doing - and put the text in it by right clicking on it - select properties - and that's where you put in the html.
                            Beth

SEO and Marketing Tools
                            SEO - The Basics

Comment

TY Beth! Somehow I missed that there were posts to this thread!

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                              1-302-283-3777 North America / International
                              02036089024 / United Kingdom
                              291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Working...
                              X