PDA

View Full Version : Linking to a file

motoxxx
07-12-2006, 07:55 PM
Hi! This is motoxxx's wife-the brains behind the brawn :-)

I have no trouble hyperlinking most things, and have read all the threads I can find about it, but I am still having trouble....

I need to link some text to a file (it is a document) in my ftp folder so that it will open and viewers can download it. I may have the path wrong? The file is in my ftp, in a folder labeled "Forms". (I know I should use lower-case, but for some reason it was working before [on the old page that was up]).

In the hyperlink box, I have the path named:
http://www.yourdomain.org/forms/documenttitle.dot

For some reason I cannot get this to work - even tried capital "F" in "forms". Also, I notice that when I go back into the hyperlink dialogue box, sometimes the new info I enter is not there and instead contains a previous file path.???

I'm sure I'm overlooking something really simple! Please help!

Jayme

navaldesign
07-13-2006, 07:09 AM
We can't help if you don't provide the real URL so we can check it.

motoxxx
07-15-2006, 05:02 AM
Ok my brain is fading! Sorry about that!

I went back and checked what I was doing and found out that I had a different folder (with the same name but the first letter of the name of the folder was capitalized! Bad web page author, bad) with the files I wanted to link with in my public_html folder. It was a path issue after all!

But it was great advice to use pdf's for document types, except for the Word doc forms I use that are to be filled out online, then emailed. Any advice for that? :-)