Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Having Difficulties Choosing Best Utility....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having Difficulties Choosing Best Utility....

This may sound quite lame, but isn't there any easier way to compare the features, functions, and >> applicability of these different utilities than simply installing one after another and tweaking them as far as possible before realizing that they were the wrong pick to begin with?

For me, it would be extremely helpful to have them lined up side-by-side with all the features either checked or unchecked in columns (like you see when comparing different versions of a software program, for instance) to get a clearer idea of what makes each one unique. Is there a site out there that might already have this?

Take phpBB Forum for example. I have decided that this would be a great method to maintain training, contact, progress, and CRM with a sales staff that is spread across the country in a "semi-live" enviornment. For the life of me, I still cannot decide if this is the best Forum for me to use, or how easy it is to 'customize' the template with my company logo/header (essentially removing the phpBB logo). I truly enjoy the look and feel as experienced in the VodaHost Forum, and merely prefer to duplicate a known technology (imagine that!). Since I will install it in a password protected sub-domain (for Associate use only), the real focus for me is the actual features, so I can really plan both the feasibility and to pre-format the material to post.

I have repeated all the different Tutorials (pausing & poring over them) exhaustively, and still come up shy of definitive info to feel comfortable making a decision. And, believe it or not, I am getting tired of having custom templates made, so I simply need to remove as much original product labelling as possible myself and not rely on outside 'managers.'

Any suggestions on how to proceed from here??
    . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
    * Success Is Potential Realized *

Re: Having Difficulties Choosing Best Utility....

Feature comparison is only used for commercial purposes. VodaHost offers it's customers the software, but has no financial revenue from it, so creating comparison tables for all the different software it provides through Fantastico becomes financially not realistic.

Please note that phpBB is NOT the same as the forum script here in Vodatalk. This one is vBulletin. Although they are very similar, vBulletin is considered the top forum script.

And yes, you can easily change the logo, replacing the logo.gif file with your own.
    Navaldesign
    Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
    Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
    DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
    Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

....and, of course, vB is not included, right?

Do you think (after seeing what I am after) that phpBB would be my best choice, or would another format be better?

< sorry for the delay...had something I had to take care of in the showroom - yes, still at work >

Comment

phpBB will be the best choice, since is it runs like wizard when configure in you server.

Speaking from experience of phpBB

All the best!
        jahnSELE

Comment

Jahn-

You too, have that neat cursor-clock (although you haven't yet set yours)....where oh! where did you get it? Still have the script? Would love to use it myself....

BUT...I didnt see where you have a Forum on your site. Maybe this is an oversight, or you have used it elsewhere? I would like to see what you have done with it......just to reassure myself enough to say "I can do that!"

Comment

Vasili,

I recently changed my index page on my site to dedicate my graduation, the image you have seen kind of bloking other links. Thanks for you clock comments.

Since you asked follow this link http://www.jahnsele.com/news/opinion/youropinion.html
            then click "How I'm I doing link" to view the phpbb page.

Let me know.
            jahnSELE

Comment

Vasili,

I recently changed my index page on my site to dedicate my graduation, the image you have seen kind of bloking other links. Thanks for you clock comments.

Since you asked follow this link http://www.jahnsele.com/news/opinion/youropinion.html
              then click "How I'm I doing link" to view the phpbb page.

Let me know.
              jahnSELE

Comment

Jahn...........

Hmmm. I can see, I suppose.
                The desire for me to get vBulletin (which I am assured will do alll I need my Forum to do) and the fact phpBB is already here for me to use freely but with a lot of effort to 'customize' it required is still bothering me.

I am so not a computer geek that I will probably end up paying to get vBulletin (just like this Voda Forum) to duplicate what features I have already envisioned uses for......Hmmmmm

Thanks again!

Comment

If you only need your logo and title in phpBB then there is no problem. Being this forum an internal area just for your salesmen, i wouldn't worry so much. And, anyway, phpBB is very similar to vBulletin, easy to administrate, and FREE
                  Navaldesign
                  Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
                  DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
                  Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Psfignomen, Naval......

Katalaveno, katalaveno! Could you then comment on Race's evaluation (#14-16) for me, parakalo?

Like here (vBulletin @ VH), I intend to load training videos, many content-rich Manuals, image libraries, and a larger load than I assumed phpBB could handle....seeing vB work capably at VH, I thought I finally found the means to set up a utility other than ACT, SAP, etc......twisting the technology, malista?

Ke....looks are very powerful! In a professional setting, continuity is more than standardization: it can be both inspiring and motivational.

Comment

Racefan is by far a better judge when it comes to forum scripts than i am. I would take his word for it.
                      Navaldesign

Comment

Just to let you know, General Naval, that I decided to follow your advice after all, and have completed installing phpBB in my 'virgin' account. I have properly pointed DNS to VH (or so I believe), and am awaiting until it takes effect to have the opportunity to make my first confirming visit to the CP to begin conforming it to meet my needs.
                        *Rather odd, but this time I've set up a new account the DNS changes are taking almost 48 hours when it rarely took 2 hours previously....I hope I didn't do something wrong!

And, out of respect, I made sure that with this post I would earn my Star.
                        I hope that you feel I might be worthy of continuing the tradition that you, Dan, *****, and Amanda have established.

Thank YOU, General, for you help, counsel, and genuine enthusiasm you have so generously shared with me!

Comment

Can anyone share how to change the logo or image in PHPBB? Is it really that hard to change?

Comment

Just upload your logo in place of the default " logo_phpBB.gif " of the phpbb forum. It must be uploaded with the same name. It is placed in your http://www.yourdomain.com/forum/temp...Silver/images/
                            So, save your logo as "logo_phpBB.gif" and then upload it in the above path using BlueFTP
                            Navaldesign

Comment

As far as comparing all the various Open Source CMS's out there, here's a link to the best site I've come accross yet. Hope you also find it as useful as I did. I selected phpBB & Moodle using this site.
                              http://www.opensourcecms.com/index.p...388&Itemid=143

PS. I've been very happy with phpBB.

Comment

Working...
                              X