Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Publishing in a Subdomain or Subfolder

Hi,

many members have subdomains on their sites, or simply subfolders for a dedicated part of their site.

To publish to that subfolder, you usually publish using your normal IP address, username and password, but in the Folder field of the "Publish" popup, you have to add the subfolder name after "public_html". So the popup looks like this:

It is quite easy to publish directly in the subfolder though. It is also easy to allow access for publishing to any user with a dedicated username and password. If you are interested, that's the way to follow:

1. Enter your site CP. Go in FTP manager, and click on FTP accounts.
    Then click on "New FTP Account". You will get the next screen:

Ok, fill in your new username, and the password. Please note that the "directory" field will be automatically filled in with the same folder name as the username. That's because when you create an FTP account, CP by default creates a folder named the same way as the username. If that's ok with you, then proceed. If not, manually edit the field content, with the name of the subfolder where this user should be able to pubblish into. In the above example, i simply filled in "subfoldername". Click on "Create" and you're done. You may close your CP.

Now please note that the username that you have created, is not excactly "username", but it is " username@yourdomain.com ".

So back to BlueVoda.

If you want to publish directly in the "subfoldername", use the following settings:

IP address: the same as your account.
    Username: username@yourdomain.com
    Password: newpassword.

LEAVE THE FOLDER FIELD EMPTY.

So, the "Publish" popup of BV will appear as follows:

Of course the password will appear as *******, i just used letters here to make it easier to understand.

Just click "Publish" and BV will publish directly in the folder "subfoldername" , without need to use your main password and username.

This tip is useful either if you want to make sure that you will not by mistake publish in the wrong folder ( just use a username that has the same name as the subfolder you wish to publish into), or if you want to grant publishing permissions to a third party (your doughter, friend, a client) but you don't want to grant him/her access to the whole of your site by giving him/her your main username and password.

The tip is also valid for addondomains, and also for simple FTP access to a specific folder in your site.

Hope this helps.
    Navaldesign
    Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
    Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
    DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
    Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Re: Publishing in a Subdomain or Subfolder

Fantastic tip from a Fantastic person...Also you will find the below tutorials very useful...

How to create and publish to addon domain.

How to create a subdomain.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Thankyou, compliments from you are always highly appreciated!
      Navaldesign
      Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
      DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
      Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Naval, that is a great tip and should help a lot of people, including me.

I have bookmarked this.....................well done that man.
        Have fun
        Regards..... David

Step by Step Visual Tutorials for the complete beginner
        Newbies / Beginners Forum
        FREE Membership Login Scripts: - Meta Tags Analyzer
        My Social Networking Site - Free Contact Forms
        Finished your New website!! Now get it noticed Here:

Comment

Hi ND, this sounds great for me as there are a few people I would like to have their own page & maintain it them selves. If I set up a subdirectory with an Ftp Quota set at maybe 500 kb with their own password so they can produce their own pages. Would there be any security issue I should look out for with doing this or should I just not let anyone have this privilege. I wasn’t sure if malicious files could be loaded on to site this way & work its way back into my directories.

Like the posting. Always nice to be shown by example.

Chris.
          Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Of course there might be a security issue. Since you grant them FTP access they can upload anything, so even if it is on their own folder, it might cause problems if they want to.
            My post only deals with the technical part, not the potential security consequenses.
            Navaldesign

Comment

Originally posted by navaldesign
              Of course there might be a security issue. Since you grant them FTP access they can upload anything, so even if it is on their own folder, it might cause problems if they want to.
              My post only deals with the technical part, not the potential security consequenses.
              Sorry! Should have posted this one separately. Just wasn’t sure.

Chris.
              Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Working...
              X