Newbie, lots of help needed :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie, lots of help needed :(

Hi everyone, first i'd like to apologise as you have probably answered these questions a million times. I have looked at other relevant posts but just needed clarification. ok , heres the deal , i have absolutely NO idea where to start. i have the website builder but have no design capability, lol - my plan is this.

I want to build a subscription based website around the subject of guitar practise. the site will include some free content to entice potential subscribers but the majority of the site will be locked for subscribers only. the website will have a forum so people can interact and learn from each other, video and audio as well as guitar playing exercises that can be downloaded. I have a name for the site, company logo.

1. would i use a template for the home page, then copy it to other pages and just remove some of the graphics via photoshop?

2. would i create the entire site THEN use membership software?, how would this work?, is it code?, where would i place it etc

3. is there any way of making it a supscription site using blue voda software?

4. do you need to understand code for certain things to work (forms etc)

i would appreciate it immensely if someone could help tell me of the process, i have watched the videos and understand how to get things to work, but still unclear of the process of building a site (or this kind of site)

currently i have the website software but have not done anything yet as i am trying to find a good template.

Re: Newbie, lots of help needed :(

Ok, let's start.
    1. Find the template that you like, or build one if you can. If the template is only a static template, meaning it is only an image (usually a header and a left side bar for the menu bar), insert them in BV as images.
    2. Create the menubar, with enough buttons for the pages that you intend to create. A good tip is to use an I frame, and publish the menubar in a page of it's own. This way, every page that you will build, will recall the menubar page, so if in the future you make any changes in the menubar, you will only have to edit the menubar page, and all of your pages will be automatically updated. To see how this can be done, have a look at http://netisopen.com/computer/IFT002/IFMenu.html

2. Now that you have created a complete template, with header, eventually footer, and a menubar, set the page background color (if you want any), set (in Page Properties) the width and height, type in keywords, and go to File - Save as Template. Give it a name like "My_template" or something.

3. Now you are ready to start building your pages. Remember, when you start a new page, to go to File, New Page, From Template. Select your saved template. Add, for the specific page that you are building, the content. Fill in (in Page Properties) the name of the page (what will appear on the Top bar of IE), type in a description and specific keywords for this specific page, and then save it. Remember that your homepage has to be called "index" , all lowercase letters. Publish it. You're done.
    4. Create the rest of your pages the same way. Remember to start always in File, new Page, From Template. Remember also to change the page name, description and keywords if necessary. Save it with the specific page name, f.e. "products", and so on for all of your pages.

remember, the page name in Page properties, is what will appear at the top IE bar, and can be anything, f.e. "Our product catalog", whilste the name that you save the page file, is how the page will be saved (as file) and published on your site. These are two different things.
    Navaldesign
    Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
    Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
    DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
    Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

This is a well derserved tribute to Navaldesign. I was wondering how to answer this multi-question post without saying "go thru the tutorials", and then I read Navaldesign's detailed reply.
      Don't worry Jackdaniels. The beginning is always more questions than answers. Just persevere. You will make mistakes. You will kick yourself a few days later. Just try and build something simple first. The grand plan can be accomplished later.
      Royden

www.harrow-art.com
      www.harrow.co.za

Comment

Thank you very much, seriously that has helped A LOT ... really appreciate you takin the time to answer

Comment

What would we all do without guys like Navaldesign? I was reading his questions thinking "OMG this is going to have to be a long reply"... however... Cheers Naval... you're always there for us when we need you ; - )
          Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

Comment

Working...
          X