This is Britain!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is Britain!

I wonder what those in the rest of the world make of us Brits? The authorities here seem to miss the fact that we live in a seasonal climate - in winter they are suprised by snow, in autumn leaves fall, and now it is summer the temparature is rising so wWe have gritters on stand by as the roads are melting, and the trains are running slow because the rails are buckling!

I recently had a holiday in Tucson and the temparature was over 100f most days I was there - I didn't see one road melting!

We have the reputation that we are always talking about the weather - perhaps the reputation should be that we are always suprised by it!!
    Trish
    www.Limebrook.com
    www.MountainWalk.co.uk
    www.MyBeardedDragons.co.uk
    www.TucsonForBeginners.com
    www.Pets4kids.info

Re: This is Britain!

I know here that Vermonters are constantly complaining about the weather. You cant talk to anyone without someone mentioning weather. Top starter of most conversations...actually its a pleasure to come here and not hear about the weather!..lol..
    As I type, the radio disc jockey is complaining of the heat index...now give him a couple months as summer in the mountains here is very short, he will be complaining about the cold..lol
    Ive never heard of roads melting...must use different material here..I remember walking on tar roads as a girl and my feet were getting sticky with tiny black dots on them as the tar would stick to my feet..but never heard of melting..thats curious...

Comment

We live by the weather channel.
      So what do we think of the Brits? Nice country, good brews, a sense of humor that is unsurpassed.

p.s. in all my trips never once had to open an umbrella.
      Bill
      www.blueearthtea.com
      www.ftaaconsulting.com
      www.iaval.com
      www.theemeraldbay.com

Comment

Awwwww Bill ...what a nice thing to say :o)

A good example of why we arent ready for the weather is today....yesterday it was so hot the roads were melting and we couldnt get enough windows open to let some sort of breeze in ...today its pouring down with rain and the temperature has fallen from 100 down to 60 and it feels cold....criky we never know what to wear! lol
        Click the link below for page guidelines (no more sideways scroll)

http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/sho...eferrerid=5490

How to Center your page
        http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/blu...tml#post124746

Comment

Sounds about the same as here Lin. Well, except the road melt thing..never heard of that..but it does sound like something that needs to be addressed!..lol
          Hazy-Hot-Humid...then a thunderstorm comes thru and like magic...nice again...up here we went from 87F down to 62F degrees...and it snows most every day in the winter...mountain effect snow...lol
          What to wear lincs? All you have to do is have a closet full of everything from skimpy to full cover...and I do understand how hard it is to find the desire to shop!...lol
          I must change my clothes at least 3 times a day, usually more.
          OH - What do I think of Brits? - Lovem'...well, there is one...well, I wont get into that!...lol

Comment

Your lucky lincs, down here it's still to bloody hot!

Now originally I'm from your part of the country (grimsby/cleethorpes) and it always seemed to be windy for about 8 months of the year. Actually I mean it is WINDY and it's a very cold wind. Now down here and thats what less than 200 miles it's more like the med, we don't get snow and for the last three new year days I've been on the beach in a t-shirt, try that in Cleethorpes!

Comment

Well its hot again here now Nick lol ....where are you then? ...south coast? ...I used to live in Southampton for many years and Porstmouth.

How to Center your page

Comment

Originally posted by limebrook1
                I wonder what those in the rest of the world make of us Brits? The authorities here seem to miss the fact that we live in a seasonal climate - in winter they are suprised by snow, in autumn leaves fall, and now it is summer the temparature is rising so wWe have gritters on stand by as the roads are melting, and the trains are running slow because the rails are buckling!

I recently had a holiday in Tucson and the temparature was over 100f most days I was there - I didn't see one road melting!

We have the reputation that we are always talking about the weather - perhaps the reputation should be that we are always suprised by it!!
                I asked my mom about the melting road thing as it was interesting to me. What her thought was that here in the states we use tar mixed with sand/stone type mixture that when the hot sun bears down,the tar will get hot but the extra in the mix allows it to keep its solidity.
                One hundred thousand and fifty years ago when she was young - they used to harden the dirt roads, then spray moulting tar in about an eight foot spray across the dirt, and continue until the road had a layer of smooth tar across it...after it reached a certain thickness..it was flattened as such ... but due to the fact that they only used tar without any fillers, it would in fact on extremely hot days melt...
                Forgive my inept way of explanation, thats why I never do public speaking and or teach the young!....lol

Comment

Originally posted by Lincslady
                  Well its hot again here now Nick lol ....where are you then? ...south coast? ...I used to live in Southampton for many years and Porstmouth.
                  Got it in one, well almost, I'm in a small town called Hythe on the edge of the New Forest just across Southampton water from Southampton.

And it is still hot and I've got to go out a give someone a driving lesson in this.....................

Comment

Originally posted by kassi59
                    I asked my mom about the melting road thing as it was interesting to me. What her thought was that here in the states we use tar mixed with sand/stone type mixture that when the hot sun bears down,the tar will get hot but the extra in the mix allows it to keep its solidity.
                    One hundred thousand and fifty years ago when she was young - they used to harden the dirt roads, then spray moulting tar in about an eight foot spray across the dirt, and continue until the road had a layer of smooth tar across it...after it reached a certain thickness..it was flattened as such ... but due to the fact that they only used tar without any fillers, it would in fact on extremely hot days melt...
                    Forgive my inept way of explanation, thats why I never do public speaking and or teach the young!....lol
                    Ahhhhh................. Your Mother is indeed wise in the ways of road and highways maintaince.

Comment

Originally posted by nick1346
                      Got it in one, well almost, I'm in a small town called Hythe on the edge of the New Forest just across Southampton water from Southampton.

And it is still hot and I've got to go out a give someone a driving lesson in this.....................
                      oh nick! thats sound like a trying day! But from what Im learning about travel there maybe thats a good thing for the inexperienced at least!..hehe!...
                      I know one lesson here is on back dirt roads - the edges are very soft and can literally suck you into the ditch - and there are the 'washboard' areas that will bounce you all over if your not careful...oh the fun I remember doing that!...lol...

Comment

Nick
                        Talking about driving lessons.
                        I once asked a lady pupil
                        "What signs do you see on country roads"

She said
                        "Eggs for sale"

http://www.plusplace.co.uk
                        royb@plusplace.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by royb
                          Nick
                          Talking about driving lessons.
                          I once asked a lady pupil
                          "What signs do you see on country roads"

She said
                          "Eggs for sale"
                          My instructer asked me to read the signs as we were going down the street (I was 16yrs)
                          I told him "How am I supposed to concentrate on driving and read at the same time!"...lol
                          Yes, I got better...lol...

Comment

Originally posted by nick1346

Ooooh posh...very nice area ..love the new forrest area..I still have family n friends down there ..sister in Hamble...brother in Eastleigh n my best friend in Botley..used to date a guy in Romsey ..he was a berk ..but Romsey was nice lol

Its hotter than hell here today! the heat is shrivelling my bushes lol

How to Center your page

Comment

This gives me a perfect business idea.. I'm gonna try to export 'Road Ice-Packs' to the UK in summer.. keeps them from melting.. Thankx Trish..;)

Comment

Working...
                              X