X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marincky
    replied
    Re: Google webcrawl

No problem, I wasn't really any help sorry.

Leave a comment:

• mattyfergus
    replied

thanks for the advice.
    I'll manually check all the links and hope for the best.

Leave a comment:

• Marincky
    replied

hmmm. somehow it's searching and finding 292 pages that either don't exist or somehow they are seeing them as non existant. I would just check check and check again... make sure that there are no links at all on your site that go to a dead page.

I have had something fairly similar before and I just left it and it sorted itself out after a few weeks. Sometimes (especially when a site is first published) YOU can see them but Google can't.. I have found this before.

Don't really know what else to suggest, maybe someone else may be able to help?

Leave a comment:

• mattyfergus
    replied

HI guys. I done all that and still having the same problems.

Any other ideas?

Leave a comment:

• Marincky
    replied

You're Welcome, but you still need to do a link check as beth has a good point there about what could be happening.

Leave a comment:

• mattyfergus
    replied

My bad, I was replacing it with a copy of the original.
    I will submit it to google and see how I get on.
    again, Thanks for the help

Leave a comment:

• Marincky
    replied

Originally posted by mattyfergus View Post
    I've dragged it onto the left hand side and deleted the old one but it does not show online?

Matty read my post above yours again

It says Drag Left to right>>>>>>>

Leave a comment:

• mattyfergus
    replied

I've dragged it onto the left hand side and deleted the old one but it does not show online?

Leave a comment:

• Marincky
    replied

You don't put it on BV. Open BV > Tools > FTP Manager

Left hand side is your PC files / Right hand side is your server

Find file on L/H side and drag to R/H side and that's how you put a a file on your server.

With regards to checking your links, do a search on Google for one, most are free.

Leave a comment:

• mattyfergus
    replied

Hi marincky, i made the sitemap on the site you said but i don not know how to get i onto blue voda and publish it.

And Bethers, how do i do a link checker with blue voda?

Thanks for the help guys

Leave a comment:

• Bethers
    replied

No disagreement there - I think Google is finding all the pages - and also finding a bunch of bad pages - and at this time - it's important to find and get rid of the "bad guys" :)

Leave a comment:

• Marincky
    replied

Hi Beth, long time no speak.. good to see you.
    Matty did show a page that the 404 was coming up for but the page exists, thats why i didnt think it was that. I also couldn't spot any bad links on his site, although a site of that size i obviously didn't scour it all so I guess it could be this ya.

and no I wasn't suggesting getting rid of the visitor sitemap, I agree 100% it's a wonderful addition that not enough people do.

I know that on sites where I have many hundreds of pages as Matty has that making the sitemap with sitemap .com was better than the building tool one (although this does work every other time)

Leave a comment:

• Bethers
    replied

Ramsey, that would not cause the 404 errors. And after looking at the site, the site map I see there is fantastic (see below).

This sounds like you must have a bunch of links that aren't working - have you looked at your stats for where your 404 not founds are coming from? That's what you have to do and fix. Just clicking around, everything I did worked and I didn't have time to put the site into a checker - which is something you might need to do to find the 404 errors.

And, I would NOT get rid of the site map you have - it's wonderful - and great for users! It's too bad more sites don't have such a great way for people to find everything.

Leave a comment:

• mattyfergus
    replied

Thanks, i'll try that then let you know the outcome

Leave a comment:

• Marincky
    replied

Try making one here

Free Online Google Sitemap Generator. XML-sitemaps.com provides free online sitemap generator service, creating an XML sitemap that can be submitted to Google, Bing and other search engines to help them crawl your website better. It will also generate an HTML site map to allow your website visitors to navigate easier.

Then place the file it creates onto your server overiding your existing sitemap.xml file on there

Leave a comment:

Working...
X