Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

hard disk partition - how do i change this without formatting the whole machine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hard disk partition - how do i change this without formatting the whole machine?

Hi I hope you can help

My computer was recently formatted by someone for me.

From what i can see the partitionong was not done properly

The local disk E - which containes all of the programs etc , and where my documents etc would normally be stored is only 8 gigs, the balace of the space +/- 90 gigs id on the Hard disk sperate to this

Is there any program i can download which will allow me to increase the size of the partition, so that i don't have to reformatt the computer again?

I have lost the driver disks for my notebook - HP easynote in any case and am a little uncomfortable with the details of how to reformatt a machine in any case - maybe you could give some advice here aswell?

Thanks very much

Rob

Re: hard disk partition - how do i change this without formatting the whole machine?

Rob, I dont think so.. Make sure the partition isnt your operating system.. I think that sounds closer to correct. The reason you would partition the operating or recovery system there, is to prevent it being overwritten and have it available, virus free. When you repartition you also reformat, and if you dont have any of the drivers or the recovery for hp, you will need to contact them or download them from HP, which shouldnt be a problem... Try contacting them.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Re: hard disk partition - how do i change this without formatting the whole machine?

HI Rob,

The 8 gigs is the cache for the hard disk drive allocated by the manufacturer.

The partition should be:

C:\drive [30 gigs] for all your installed programs and C:\My Documents files and folders

D:\drive for [60 gigs] for your files and folders.

Take your pc back to the shop and ask them to repartion which means you will also have to reinstall all your peograms.

The above configuration suggested by me is a tried configuration as any virus attack on your pc will normally attack your C drive which can be reformatted without affecting the files and folders in your D:\ drive.

As for downloading a program?
      There is a program which is not free nor is it cheap.

It is better for you to let somebody who knows how; do it for you at the shop.

If you know how to reformat your disk yo can even do it yourself, if you are willing to reinstall everything to your pc from scratch.

The other alternative is to buy a new larger capacity disk like 250gigs, partition into 2 or 3 drives and add to your pc as an addon disk [2nd disk].
      www.siapamoyanganda.com/
      Malaysian Family Tree Website From the
      State of Johor.

HAPPY ARE THOSE WHO DREAM DREAMS AND ARE READY TO PAY THE PRICE TO MAKE THEM COME TRUE.

Comment

Working...
      X