X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Background shows while loading then disappears completely

I have a light green background on my site; http://thejuiceplanet.com

It was fine until I added FB like and Tweet buttons. Now, the pages that have the buttons do this weird thing. When you open the page, the green background shows for just a moment and then disappears completely leaving a plan white background. The pages without the buttons are still fine, such as http://thejuiceplanet.com/privacy.html

Some advice on how to fix this would be great.

Also, I posted this thread earlier in the week. It didn;t show up in my profile. I did a search on the title and a link appeared, but when I clicked it, it said there was no valid link, weird.

Re: Background shows while loading then disappears completely

Top-Left corner of your web page ... see the ">" symbol?? You have 'orphaned code' on the page, from not properly adding code in the first place (not using a BV HTML box, most likely).

Remove the "end of string" code symbol (the ">" showing on the page), re-publish, and things should be fine.

* May wish to double-sheck that your G+ code is intact and functional .... the misplacement of the button suggests that this orphaned symbol may come from the G+ code. In any event, re-position the G+ button before re-publishing as well.
    . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
    * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Closed thread but unresolved

This is the original thread http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/add...ompletely.html

However, I have not been able to follow the instructions given but have to start a new thread seeing as the original one closed...also, I had already done this, and that new thread has disappeared, so I am trying again.

Re the background of my page loading then dissappearing which seems to be associated to adding the facbook like button Vasilli's response was:

"Top-Left corner of your web page ... see the ">" symbol?? You have 'orphaned code' on the page, from not properly adding code in the first place (not using a BV HTML box, most likely).

Remove the "end of string" code symbol (the ">" showing on the page), re-publish, and things should be fine".

Whenever I add html codes (such as google ad's, FB buttons etc) they are added in the BV box, or in the Page HTML. I can't find a ">" symbol anywhere that it shouldn't be. This symbol only appears on pages with the FB like button. So for example, it is found on the home page http://thejuiceplanet.com but not on the privacy page http://thejuiceplanet.com/privacy.html.

Can you tell me exactly where the offending code would be so that I can remove it?

Vasilli also mentioned the G+ code:

"May wish to double-sheck that your G+ code is intact and functional .... the misplacement of the button suggests that this orphaned symbol may come from the G+ code. In any event, re-position the G+ button before re-publishing as well".

I never put a G+ button an any of my pages. There seemed to be a glitch a few days ago when it was appearing in the google ad box's all of its own accord, but that seems to have resolved itself.

Really hope that someone can help me with this and that this post doesn't disappear.

Cheers

Comment

Re: Closed thread but unresolved

Update:

The problem seems directly related to the code placed in the page html which is required for the FB button to appear.

I have placed the following code inside the body tag of pages with FB like button:

<div id="fb-root"></div>
        <script>(function(d, s, id) {
        var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0];
        if (d.getElementById(id)) return;
        js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id;
        js.src = "//connect.facebook.net/en_GB/all.js#xfbml=1";
        fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs);
        }(document, 'script', 'facebook-jssdk'));</script>

I removed this code from the following page http://thejuiceplanet.com/what-is-a-juice-fast.html and now the offending ">" symbol and FB button have disappeared, and the background is restored.

The tweet button is still there and so it must be the FB code that is causing this glitch.

Is there something wrong with the above code or have I perhaps placed it in the wrong part of the page html?

Comment

Re: Closed thread but unresolved

The Facebook code you example above is something not seen before, so if you are trying to edit page HTML using it, it is no wonder you are frustrating yourself.

You may wish to simply follow the method outlined clearly in this thread that has not proven to fail even once when followed precisely> How To Add Facebook "Like" Button To BlueVoda Pages

Comment

Vasili, PLEASE stop closing thread before resolving issue regarding FB like button

Hi Vasili,
            With utmost respect may I say how incredibly frustrating it is that you keep closing a thread after responding to it as it presumes your response is adequate and prevent further clarification. And really, I do say this with respect and hope it does not offend.

Re my ongoing problem with adding FB like buttons from original thread: http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/add...ompletely.html

Your last response:
            The Facebook code you example above is something not seen before, so if you are trying to edit page HTML using it, it is no wonder you are frustrating yourself.

You may wish to simply follow the method outlined clearly in this thread that has not proven to fail even once when followed precisely>How To Add Facebook "Like" Button To BlueVoda Pages
            I have done as instructed and followed the instructions precisely, namely, going to the developers.facebook.com page as instructed to retrieve code. I used the HTML5 code. I cannot see how to insert an image into this post so I'm putting a screen shot of the code on a page in my site: http://thejuiceplanet.com/random-page.html

Incidentally, at the top of the developers page it says that the codes need to be updated since 7 Nov 2012 to function properly. Is it possible that BV is not aware of changes.

Based on the image I have provided which instructs me to place code in Page HTML as well as the HTML box, could you please tell me if I am doing something wrong? As mentioned I used the code for HTML5, Should I have used instructions for XFBML?

Last but not least, please don't close this thread until its sorted. Thanks.

Sarah

Comment

Re: Vasili, PLEASE stop closing thread before resolving issue regarding FB like butto

Use HTML5. And, be sure to add the appropriate code to the Page itself along with the code added to a BV Box.

If you are selecting to allow 'Faces' to be displayed, they have changed their 'flyover' parameters, so be sure your BV Box is sized appropriately to allow all the FB display to be properly seen and "link" to FB without constraint.

Don't believe everything you read (as far as Updates being required) .... the same method and 'old' code has been working fine for everyone else's sites without fail for years. And, this issue you are experiencing is seemingly only happening to you out of the many thousands of clients, so beyond the scope of standard method and resources, it is impossible to diagnose what in particular is the problem in your case alone.

Personally, I do not use the LIKE function for FB, but only for G+ (which does not display the number of Likes or faces of those who have interacted -- only "grays-out" the button once used) as the FB code is not as useful as is a simple link to my FB pages where people can Like the page if they choose, Share it, but most importantly SEE it before engaging. The metrics value of simple FB 'Likes' is not as important as it once was ... more important is the continued interaction and traffic that is generated and perpetuated having "introduced" people to the overall online sites and pages. Again, that is a personal preference.

The difficulties you are struggling with are somehow only happening to you for whatever reason, and again, it is extremely difficult to diagnose remotely. Keep at it, I guess, and I hope you can work it out!

Comment

Ok, thanks Vasili. At least now I know I'm not doing anything wrong in regards to the page html.

I guess I have to decide whether I want my background or the like button. I appreciate your thoughts on the value of the button at all. Sometimes I think we perhaps feel that we have to have everything we can possibly fit on to a page, when if at the end of the day we want people to like out FB page, having the link to it, as I do in the corner of each page, is sufficient.

As to the G+ button. I haven't even gotten that far as I had a look at the instructions for that on the developers page and got a bit of a headache lol.

You may now close the thread :)

Comment

Google Plus is very, very simple, and is the same 2-step process to connect your site to your G+ Page. It is merely offering connectivity to another Social Media Community that you may or may not be effectually engaging with. Each has their own benefits and limitations, and represent unique demographics and potentialities.

Engaging Social Media effectively and with measurable positive ROI is a completely different concept that is too large to fit into the Forum alone ...

Comment

Working...
                  X