Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wordpress - Move from Sub-Domain to Primary Domain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wordpress - Move from Sub-Domain to Primary Domain?

Hi,

I'm making some changes on my website - and plan to replace most of the pages with wordpress versions.

At the moment, I have my site (Bluevoda constructed) on the primary domain: http://www.scubatechphilippines.com

I also have a dedicated Wordpress blog on the sub-domain: http://www.scubatechphilippines.com/scuba_blog/

- What is the best way to do this?

1. Can I install a fresh copy of Wordpress into the primary domain & run it simultaneously to the blog in the sub-domain?

2. Can I move the existing Wordpress from the sub-domain to the primary?

3. Do I have to delete and reinstall Wordpress into the primary domain, using Fantastico?

My preference would be the first option, as that'd retain existing links/SEO for my blog, but allow a mirror theme for using static Wordpress pages as my 'site' (again, retaining their links/SEO).

Any suggestions/advice/guidance will be greatly welcomed. (I'm not at all savvy with the 'CP Panel' and database stuff... so please explain as thought you're talking to a child).
    Andy

ScubaTech Philippines

Re: Wordpress - Move from Sub-Domain to Primary Domain?

I simply forward everything from my .com to my sub domain... easy and it's working

Comment

Originally posted by maurypower View Post
      I simply forward everything from my .com to my sub domain... easy and it's working
      Sorry! That is technically "Interlinking" -- a definitive violation of SEO Basic Rules which exposes said Domains to severe penalty in the wake of the unilateral overhaul of the SE Core Value systems in April of 2012. Read More HERE

The solution is for Devon to DECIDE on how he wants his web suite to really function, so to then let the simple logic emerge to outline the task of following the specific detailed instructions available from Wordpress directly on how to migrate a Fantastico!-installed version of WP without losing any valued data.

Following your suggestion would be equal to resorting to 'short-cuts' that may ease the current frustration but which will likely be the cause exponentially greater liabilities that could be avoided by simply doing what is required. "There is no such thing as a Short-cut in web design ..."

I was waiting for him to realize this for himself, and for him to acknowledge that this is in fact the proper method.
      . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
      * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

1) Install the WP script on the main domain
        2) Connect it to the existing database
        3) Login and make the URL configurations as required.

Done ;)

VodaHost

Your Website People!
        1-302-283-3777 North America / International
        02036089024 / United Kingdom
        291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

[QUOTE=VodaHost;367606]1) Install the WP script on the main domain
          2) Connect it to the existing database
          3) Login and make the URL configurations as required.

Done ;)[/QUOTE

could you help me through steps 2 and 3 a little more
          i don't know where to do these
          thank you

Comment

In newer versions of wordpress this is easier:
            1)Backup your database.
            2)Log into your wp-admin area, go to settings, then general.
            3)Update the WordPRess Url and the Site Address fields.
            4)Then move all files from your subdomain to the new address, be sure to include your .htaccess file.

If you are using a custom theme, you need to contact the theme maker for further instructions as sometimes moving wordpress will break the theme. For further assistance you should consider opening a support ticket.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
            1-302-283-3777 North America / International
            02036089024 / United Kingdom
            291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Working...
            X