This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forum in a foreign language.

Unfortunately the language I want is not among the languages provided by Fantastico in its phpBB or WordPress.
    Is there any way import a HUNGARIAN language format into my website/fantastico?
    Thanks.
    www.gabor-music.com

Re: Forum in a foreign language.

You will have to download and install the phpBB Hungarian Language Pack MOD.

For Wordpress, you will have to download and install the Hungarian Language Plugin. Or, install Wordpress manually in native Hungarian.

For both, you will need to pay particularly close attention to the installation instructions included with both, or find additional directions from the Support Forums each maintains.
    . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
    * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

How to complete installation of phpBB?

Following BV instructions I installed (or did I?..) my "first forum" via Fantastico.
      At this point I'm being directed by phpBB dialogue boxes to do a series of things
      which were not mentioned in the original BV tutorial. (The outlays on BV tutorial and my
      "initial" phpBB are different, I guess this is due to having different versions.)
      So far it appears that I have to follow the phpBB instructions as to "update my version
      from 3.0.10 to 3.0.11" then .zip, etc. (Is this really necessary?) Anyway, I did it whereas
      I got stuck because of the laconical references to what to do. (OK that's how things are in
      Internet World.)
      I'm now instructed to upload the whole "install folder" to my phpBB root directory...
      Which I have no idea where is. (Or what is..)
      And THEN will the REAL fun begin! (Creating my big BV website seems like child's play
      compared to a phpBB operation...)
      Now, I understand that all this might belong in phpBB support / forum, not here, but I gave it a try
      - so far I've never failed.

Thanks.
      www.gabor-music.com

Comment

Re: How to complete installation of phpBB?

You do NOT need to "update" the version of your newly installed phpBB ..... it is fine as it is, and will remain stable and secure for a long, long time. The version you are being prompted to "upgrade" to is still not fully documented and is simply an unstable BETA version with very few changes. Upgrading is not something that should be attempted by newcomers , especially those that do not have a real defined "need" to perform an upgrade (such as in order to repair being hacked, or a catastrophic failure, etc.).

When it IS advantageous to upgrade (usually 2-3 years or so, and by then you will be much more familiar with how Forums work), you should follow the very specific instructions outlined in the Official phpBB Support Forum as well as documented on the phpBB Website.

Comment

Re: How to complete installation of phpBB?

Thank you Vasili,

It was not at all my intention to "upgrade" but the site my Fantastico took me prodded me to do so.
          I was in the impression that my phpBB wouldn't function without that procedure. (Indeed I 'm having problems
          to get it going but I will study the instructions and maybe, just maybe, I'll prevail).
          Thanks again.
          (Personally I think it's not very ethical that the site leads you to believe that you must upgrade, because that's how it appears there. Well...)
          www.gabor-music.com

Comment

My first Forum is up and Running. How do I find my "config.php" file?

Thanks to Vasili's advice (again) I got the Forum all figured out and running in 6 hours (after ignoring the misleading installation instruction). It runs like clockwork.
            I'm now in the process of installing the Hungarian Language Pack.
            It requires me to upload the files to my "phpBB root directory - where my 'config.php' resides".
            Where does it reside?... Please?....
            (And then I won't nag you anymore - about this, anyway...)

(There was an advice: to upload the .zip file itself to the cPanel and unpack it there. Sounds good?...
            But I still need to know about that 'config.php' residence.)

It should be all downhill from here on :)

Thanks
            www.gabor-music.com

Comment

Re: My first Forum is up and Running. How do I find my "config.php" file?

If you know how to access your cPanel, it should be easy for your to use FILE MANAGER to identify the Root Directory ("public_html/") of the Domain or Sub-Directory in which your Forum has been installed, and to be able to open that Folder to see and confirm for yourself that the file you mention is in fact in that folder.

If so, then THAT is the folder to which you will upload and extract the Zip file with your PlugIn.

Once you "open" the correct folder via FILE MANGER, you will then use the UPLOAD tool in the File manager Toolbar to upload from your system the Zip file with your language pack.

Once uploaded into this proper folder ("Directory") you can then use the UNZIP/EXTRACT Tool which is also on the File Manager Toolbar to unpack the file so it can be auto-installed by phpBB itself and available for use.

Comment

Thanks, again.
                I uploaded the .zip file. It's in the correct folder (directory) - the one with the title I gave to my Forum and it does have the notorious "cofig.php" file (and the rest of all relevant files, folders). I clicked the "extract" command, it opened a list of all the Hungarian files I'd need (in a blue-shade area). Then, the unpacked full folder / directory called 'hungarian 233" appeared. It seems to be the right directory. However, somehow it's not installed in my Forum / System / Languages. Stuck again?
                (I've also tried to do the same procedure in my cPanel / My Forum / Languages folder - where the original English is - with the same result.)
                Should I start uploading all the hundreds of individual files one-by-one from the original source folder opened in my computer's Downloads? And if yes, pack it into a folder? Or just loosely, in the Forum / Root Directory?
                www.gabor-music.com

Comment

Then, the unpacked full folder / directory called 'hungarian 233" appeared. It seems to be the right directory.
                  Upon checking this folder it turned out that even though the folders within carried Hungarian titles the files within the folders - and anywhere - were the same English files as in the original English Pack. (I don't know how I got that "hungarian_233" folder in there...)
                  www.gabor-music.com

Comment

You need to "activate" (select) the Forum language via the Admin Dashboard.

Refer to the instruction that came with the Plugin (as a ".txt" file) and other specific instructions as outlined at the official phpBB Support Forum!

Comment

I followed phpBB's Forum intently and followed their instructions. I've been to the dashboard but the "install Hungarian" file, that should be there is not there. (Otherwise it would be child's play to activate?..).
                      Anyway, I'll check the that .txt file and try their Forum, again.
                      But - forgive me - what about the idea of uploading the Hungarian files one-by-one to my cPanel? (That was the original instructions, I've only come across to uploading the .zip file accidentally, as an "easy step". Perhaps it doesn't work.
                      Thanks.
                      www.gabor-music.com

Comment

There is nothing in that .txt file. I suspect that this pack, being Hungarian, is a little less than perfect... ;
                        www.gabor-music.com

Comment

Language pack(s) - all correctly done but doen't appear in the SYSTEM/Activate spot.

It appears that the .zip has correctly unpacked and the unpacked folder resides in the right directory in My Forum's root.
                          (To test, I repeated the exact process with "American English" - went through exactly the same).
                          According to phpbb's instructions these "to be installed" folders now should be accessible in the Forum's administrator's area
                          (SYSTEM/Language Packs/Activate) - but they ARE NOT THERE! (Neither the Hungarian nor the American English).
                          Before I start making inquiries with the rather enigmatic phpbb users' forums I'd like to get your advice if there possibly is something amiss within BV protocol (not installing the uploaded language packs to their destination, MY Forum's SYSTEM).

Please.
                          Thank you.
                          www.gabor-music.com

Comment

Re: Language pack(s) - all correctly done but doen't appear in the SYSTEM/Activate sp

Your installation of phpBB is no way related or affected by anything regarding BV (BlueVoda, the web builder tool) or even VodaHost (the provider of your hosting) in any way whatsoever.

Even the Fantastico (the automated script installer licensed by cPanel for distribution) tool in cPanel and cPanel itself (which is licensed to VodaHost as a Customer Service Feature) is completely unrelated and not part of any issue at all. They both simply perform functions that are error-free and non-intrusive to your paid hosting account.

If you have any issue whatsoever with your phpBB installation, you must seek Support from phpBB and their Support Forums directly .... there is no official Support offered by anyone in the VodaTalk Support Forums or from VodaHost Customer Service.

The only thing VodaHost can do to assist you is reset your hosting account to the default state, meaning wiping everything from the account to a "like-new" status, requiring you to re-publish everything from saved files.

Please follow the "protocol" established to find the appropriate Support you need.

Comment

Working...
                            X