organize info from form

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• organize info from form

Is it just me- did I miss something in the forms tutorials? When I make a form and have places to fill in -Name, Address, Phone #, E-mail and a section for comments- all is well and works fine. But when it shows up in my e-mail it is not in order. It appears to list in alphabetic order i.e.-
    address, e-mail, name, phone etc... The message or comments box always comes first.

To make it work I will name the field (in the elements properties) to
    A-name, B-address, C-phone etc.... It works, however, the coments box always comes first.

Is there an easier way?

By the way- I have the form set up as a php mailto and not to open
    MS Outlook.

Thanks in advance.

Andy
    PHP- is a blast!

Re: organize info from form

Hee hee ... you too? I thought it was just me! Mine comes through Address, City, State, Phone, Email, Zip and then only the Name and comments. Driving me balmy!

Comment

I have tried this A-Name, B-Address, etc. tip, but it doesn't seem to be working for me. The email I received is more jumbled up than ever now! I will have to play with it more I guess.

But along the same discussion. When you go to my website to complete my order form, I would like for the cursor to begin in the name field and then when you tab, take in in order from field to field. Mine seems to jump all over the page. Can someone give me some advice on how to correct this or point me to a discussion about it? I can't seem to locate a specific discussion on this topic. Thanks

Floor Lady
      www.flooraudit.com
      Cindy Smentowski

Comment

From What I know, if you have used Pablo's script, the order in which the info will appear in the email, is the order in which the form has been built, and not the field names alphabetical order. So you need to recreate your form, creating the fields in the order you want them to appear.

I have not seen any discussion about the use of tab. I remember i have seen a script somewhere (hotscripts.com or similar) which moved from one field to the other when, after typing in a field, you pressed enter or tab. I suggest you Google it
        Navaldesign
        Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
        Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
        DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
        Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Hi,

Actually, I did recreate my form AND I tried the A-Name B-Address method to no avail ... I played with it for hours and eventually just gave up ;) Decided I needed a break! If you find the solution, please let me know.

Claudette

Comment

Which script did you use?
            Navaldesign
            Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
            DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
            Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

I used the example as shown below the video tutorial. As follows:

<HTML>
              <HEAD>THE ******* FUEL TEAM
              <TITLE>SUBMISSION SUCCESSFUL</TITLE>
              </HEAD>
              <BODY>
              <H2>THANKS YOU!</H2>

<?PHP
              $email = $HTTP_POST_VARS[email];
              $mailto = "pioneerfuel@pioneerfuel.com";
              $mailsubj = "Request For Information";
              $mailhead = "From: $email\n";
              reset ($HTTP_POST_VARS);
              $mailbody = "Values submitted from web site form:\n";
              while (list ($key, $val) = each ($HTTP_POST_VARS))
              {
              $mailbody .= "$key : $val\n";
              }
              mail($mailto, $mailsubj, $mailbody, $mailhead);
              ?>
              </BODY>
              </HTML>

I was happy to at least get the information to my email inbox *lol* but it would be nice to have it in the correct order.

Claudette

Comment

cj-
                That portion of the process is correct and you don't have to change anything. Naveldesign is talking about the fields in your form. The soultion to name the fields in alphabetical order worked for me- I will re-test it and post back here tonight. If my tutorial is in error - I will remove it.

Naveldesign stated that the order in which you recieve it in your e-mail will depend on what order it is on the form. If this is the case- simply re-arrange the form so that the order in which people fill in the boxes is the order which it will appear on your e-mail.

I will do a test again this evening to see if my tutorial is indeed correct or worked by fluke.

Andy
                PHP- is a blast!

Comment

Whay counts is the order in which the fields in the form have been created - not the visual order or the fill in order. You see, when BV creates the code of the page, it "sees" object" in the order that they have been created.
                  Navaldesign

Comment

Oh okay ... I'll try again and let you guys know. Though, I thought I had kept them in order when I recreated the form? Obviously I couldn't have.

Ho hum ... back to the drawing board!

Thanks Andy & Naval.

Comment

OKAY! WOO HOO! I GOT IT!

What I did wrong was I created my first Edit Box and then just copied and pasted it for the next one, and the next one etc. Although I did this in the order of my form field names, it still messed up the order in the values submitted in my email.

So, I went the longer route and did one at a time ... without copying and pasting and VOILA! It works!

I didn't have to use the A,B.C route either Andy - just for your reference.

Great stuff!

Thanks a whole heap guys!
                      Claudette

Comment

Originally posted by Floor Lady
                        I have tried this A-Name, B-Address, etc. tip, but it doesn't seem to be working for me. The email I received is more jumbled up than ever now! I will have to play with it more I guess.

But along the same discussion. When you go to my website to complete my order form, I would like for the cursor to begin in the name field and then when you tab, take in in order from field to field. Mine seems to jump all over the page. Can someone give me some advice on how to correct this or point me to a discussion about it? I can't seem to locate a specific discussion on this topic. Thanks

Floor Lady
                        www.flooraudit.com
                        Hi Floor Lady,

I just figured out what I did wrong with my form and maybe the same applies to you. Instead of creating an edit box and then copying and pasting it however many times I needed it, I did a separate box for each field and in the exact order of my form fields, i.e. Name 1st, Address 2nd, etc. Lo and behold it worked!

Good Luck!
                        Claudette

Comment

CJ-
                          Navel is correct and it worked for you beautifully. When I tried my solution it must have worked out by fluke- I really have no Idea. I have removed that mis-instruction. Sorry to have wasted your time- but we're all learning here i guess.

Take care and have a great week.

Andy
                          PHP- is a blast!

Comment

Andy,

How right you are ... this has been a BIG learning experience for me. My first web site and all.

You didn't waste my time my friend ... in fact I appreciate any feedback. Every bit helps and I believe the best way to learn is through trial and error.

Take care,
                            CJ

Comment

Originally posted by cjfoster
                              Hi Floor Lady,

I just figured out what I did wrong with my form and maybe the same applies to you. Instead of creating an edit box and then copying and pasting it however many times I needed it, I did a separate box for each field and in the exact order of my form fields, i.e. Name 1st, Address 2nd, etc. Lo and behold it worked!

Good Luck!
                              Claudette
                              P.S. This also fixes the Tab situation.

Comment

Working...
                              X