Vista-

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista-

I just received my new computer preloaded vista. I'm not real happy with it, but ya know its kinda also growing on me at the same time.
    Ive been cleaning out the bloat, I'm not finished as of yet. The recovery on mine is the D drive and its almost full so Ive ordered recovery disc so I can get rid of whats on my hard drive.

I have a HP Pavilion a6010e PC
    Genuine Windows Vista(TM) Home Basic
    - AMD Athlon(TM) 64 3500+ (2.2GHz / 512KB L2 cache)
    - FREE UPGRADE from 512 to 1024MB DDR2-533MHz(2x512)
    - 160GB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive

Ive added nothing. Ive been cleaning OUT files ie microsoft office trial things like that - that I have no intention to buy.
    I only have 77% free on C drive
    and 12% free on my D drive

Here is a link to my computer stats via pcpitstop:
    http://www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress.asp?id=PDHHHWJFL9WSF13W

Now my thoughts are and Ive voiced them to HP is that why do I have so little free space when I just purchased this and Ive not added Ive only been deleting.
    Its really been a royal pain in the butt.

Here is also an excerpt from HP support:
    have verified the database and this issue is occurring with the latest
    PCs preinstalled with Windows Vista Operating system. This issue is due
    to errors in the latest Windows Vista Operating system. I would like to
    inform you that Windows vista operating system is newly launched
    operating system, there are many issues working with the operating
    system. Microsoft and HP are working on the issues, and will release
    software updates to resolve these particular issues.

Its actually been a nightmare, nothing like 5yrs ago when I got my very first computer and new nothing at all and used windowsXP, and then everyone was screaming in similar chants about that, but as a complete novice I found no issues what so ever.
    I'm loosing hair over this one!
    but like I said earlier, I'm also getting kinda used to it too, and feel that after a bit of gasEX it will calm down and be just fine.
    I hope this helps.

I can add HP doesnt make the grade.

Re: Vista-

Well the D drive is most likly a partition (a peice of another drive seperated from it) of the C drive. Also when the say a hard drive is 160, they really mean like 152 (They measure bytes, kb, gigabytes, etc in increments of 1000, but they are really 1024). So that might explain where some of its going...

Also after you deleted the extra things you didn't need, did you do a disk defragment? If not you might want to, it might help clear a little bit more space (nothing real significant)

Register/Login Script
    Do you use a Password Protected Directory? Need a way to allow users to make their own account, try my .htaccess Login Script

Comment

Originally posted by Watdaflip
      Well the D drive is most likly a partition (a peice of another drive seperated from it) of the C drive. Also when the say a hard drive is 160, they really mean like 152 (They measure bytes, kb, gigabytes, etc in increments of 1000, but they are really 1024). So that might explain where some of its going...

Also after you deleted the extra things you didn't need, did you do a disk defragment? If not you might want to, it might help clear a little bit more space (nothing real significant)
      Pickles n Ice cream?
      sorry to be an ass but sit with me help me before critisze.

Comment

Well, it appears your hard drive is divided into two partitions. The C is 145.758gb, and D is 6.866gb.
        Those add up to the 160gb. D is only used for backup,
        or recovery. If you increased the D part. you would
        decrease the C. You could purchase another drive,
        an external 160gb, F drive, and push the recovery to the external. Then, you could use a program like 'Norton
        Partition Magic' and delete the D partition and recover
        that to C so you could use the 160gb for C. If that's too
        much, you might consider consulting with your local computer shop about it and get their ideas. Another option could be to use Norton Ghost. That would allow you to copy the C drive to dvd discs. Then, you could just delete everything on D to free it up. But, I would
        still re-partition, or delete partition on D.
        Brad Arnold.......
        www.baldwincomusic.com
        www.Northbaldwinhamradio.org

ClickheretoBlastyoursitetomany
        !Free Search Engine Submission!
        Talking Avatar for your web site!
        Free sound editor
        Voda Host Tutorials

Comment

Im fully aware of D recovery Drive is. After recieving my package deal, which was my first mistake, I was only allowed 17% free space. then when trying to DO anything I recieve a pop up telling me IM low on memory.
          well I wouldnt be low on memory if the recovery wasnt installed on my drive.
          I know I have space on C. but I would like to choose how to use that myself and not have someone else tell what is to be on my drive.
          The recovery info in my opinion should be on disc and not taking up computer space. I more than likely wont need or want the space it takes, but for me that is like asking a person to move into my house an not pay rent only because I wouldnt notice them there..
          In other words its the point not the issue...
          Norton Ghost takes up major space and its not highly recomended to use.
          Ive already done a back up and that took up more space than I wanted to give....
          I have no clue what your talking about when using the term of
          F drive.... Im not that savvy, I only talk about what I experience..
          Vista is very large and difficult to get under control...
          Ive not even begun to use my computer for what I would like to use it for, Im still trying to clean out unnecessary files that are taking it over..lol

Comment

Kate

There are a few things that come "preset" from the factory ... sometimes there are "fixes or patches" available for these things that do not always come up as a "critical update" or even an update.

I would type the exact error that you are receiving into the HP site and see if any information comes from that, as well do the same on the microsoft site ..

Here is an article you can read that will tell you how you can fix your situation if it is what I am thinking you are referring to. Without the exact error message, it is hard to tell ...

You might also do a google search with your "exact error message" you are receiving, or post it here and we can further look into it.

A few weeks ago I experienced;

"The system dll user 32.dll was relocated in memory .... blah blah blah" and on further searching of what I have offered to you above I found I needed to download a fix.

Information on these types of problems, as well as drivers, etc., doesn't come easy to us, unfortunately. We must seek, find and remedy ourselves. Cruel World Eh!

Good Luck, it sounds like you have a nice new computer to work with.

P.S.
            Kate, just go into your add & remove programs and remove all of those things that come preloaded with the computer, don't install the trials and definitely get rid of, before you even think of installing it, get rid of Wild Tangent Web Driver ... also pre-installed, I don't like it's behaviour, what I read about it, nor it is not necessary ... These things are merely sitting there and not taking up your space unless you have fully installed them ...

I think your problems are resolvable ...

VodaHost

Your Website People!
            1-302-283-3777 North America / International
            02036089024 / United Kingdom
            291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Thanks Lady, I so do appreciate the advice. Ive done exactly what I always do and thats panic!
              Ive forgotten that this is in fact a new OS and its not going to be like my old one.. I know ah dah...lol
              Im still trying to work this out and get my PC where I am comfortable with it...kinda like a new pair of *****, ya like em but you want them to be like yer old ones..hehe..
              Ive done one thing I think I may regret. I used the 'shrink' option on my 'C' drive..ah, I dont know what that is or what that did..
              and I still cant run some software. I do understand the software that isnt compatible, but the software that is Im getting low memory messages and *** wont even run half the time.
              I think and tell me if Im wrong, maybe after deleting all the bloatware I should just delete the info on D drive, I now have the back up discs..
              I dont know Holly, its all just too confusing for a wreck like me...lol

Comment

Kate

Let me see what I can find out ... but it is my understanding the information on the D Drive is actually put in there by HP and holds your recovery files ... it's not something I would remove and it really is not taking up much of your space at all .... it's a partition, that's all ...

You have lots of space ... you do not need more space ... I do not believe that is your problem ....

you have 512 ram ... is that correct?

I'll get back to you with anything I can find out and maybe some others will chirp in here as well ...

Hang in there ... Don't forget to run *****'s cc cleaner too ...

Can you tell us if it is virtual memory or memory and can you copy one of those error messages kate??

Kate ... I really recommend these guys at this forum, I've been there myself and believe me, they know what they are talking about ... have you been here
                They are reliable, trusted and willing to help ....

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

http://forums.techguy.org/games/5608...ual+memory+low

Virtual memory is refering to pagefile.sys on your C:\ drive. The idea is, then when the PC is low on memory (RAM), it will swap it out to memory in the pagefile.sys, and free up space in real memory.
                  You can configure more virtual memory on the System Control Panel, Advanced, Performance Settings, Advanced, Change and increase size of the page file.
                  Ideally you need more real ram if playing games.

http://www.yourwaresolutions.com/software.html#framxpro

Freeware application to free and optimize your computer's RAM (Random Access Memory), resulting in an increase in system performance and productivity. Automatically configures itself for ease of use and also features advanced options and customizability. FreeRAM XP Pro has been designed to be easy to use yet highly customizable by computer novices and experts alike.

And yet ... another good thread to read Kate http://forums.techguy.org/windows-nt...ual+memory+low

http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/5...ual+memory+low

http://www.answersthatwork.com/Taskl...s/tasklist.htm

lol Now you are busy Kate ... but hopefully you can work your way through these threads.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                  291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Working...
                  X