This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maintaining SOHO

One of the most important things you can do to maintain your store is to do weekly backups and back up again whenever you make major changes. Theres a backup site button in the soho control panel and make sure you DOWNLOAD this to your hard drive and then delete it off the server.

The backup is important, if the server has to be reset or is updated and soho licensing has to be reset, or any of a number of other changes that occur from security to soho updates.. thats right sometimes the software builder screws up the compatiblility between updates. Which brings me to the second most important thing..

UPDATE YOUR STORE WEEKLY.. check the admin icon, software updates tab weekly and update to the latest stable build. This helps prevent compatibility issues and crashes when the gap is too great between the time you installed and the time you updated. You can then UPLOAD this update and restore your store.

Thirdly, if the worst happens you can still save most of your store. Go to my sql, php admin, and export all your tables amd your databases before you reset or reinstall soho. You can also navigate into the soho admin and save all your customized templates, your custom codes that you have uploaded and move your image folder out side of the soho navigation or rename it if its on the main domain. This saves you having to reup or recreate your customization. You can then reup, rename and import your databases, thus saving HOURS Of work..

Remember.. BACKUP and UPDATE!

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Re: Maintaining SOHO

Hi Karen.

I am having a problem performing a backup of my site. I am able to backup okay, but I am not sure how to download the backup to my computer. It always asks me if I want to save the file, and then what program I want to use to open the file. I am doing this through Firefox. What program should I use to view/save my download? Thanks for your help.

Joe

Comment

Joe

The downloads are a tar.gz zip file and ive never been asked what I want to open it with, but winzip or winrar should open it, not that it would make sense if it did as its been compressed, besides just zipped. You dont want to open it after you download it anyway. But pick one of those two if it insists and see what happens.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
      291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Originally posted by Karen Mac View Post

UPDATE YOUR STORE WEEKLY.. check the admin icon, software updates tab weekly and update to the latest stable build. This helps prevent compatibility issues and crashes when the gap is too great between the time you installed and the time you updated. You can then UPLOAD this update and restore your store.

Karen
        What and where is the "admin icon" you refer to for software updates?
        Cheers,
        Muzz

Comment

admin or webmaster it may be called now.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
          291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Hi Karen

May I know how can I delete unwanted images from my image folder? I did try many times but the image is still remain there. I follow the insturuction -- click on the box beside the image that i want to delete, then click update file manage, but seems that the image is still in the file. I do not want the images, and wanted to do a image house-keeping. Can you please give me some clues on how to do it.

Beside that, I would like to sell my Ebook using Soholaunch, how should I go about? I cant find any tutorial that is talking about Ebook selling using Soholaunch. Do I need a subdomain for this selling? How to upload the Ebook and add Buy now button?

Thanks
            Kelly

http://kellygiftstore.com

Comment

Hi Kelly, Karen is no longer with us, but was a good with soho problems, you can see if another member can help with soho or alternately you can try the soho forum.
              Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Working...
              X