This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Guide

Google Basics: Links to Google provided information.

General Google Links
    Google Site Map
    Google TOS
    Google Privacy Policy
    Google Help Central

Technology Google Links
    Google Technology Overview
    PageRank Explained
    Search Features

ToolBar, SPAM, PR

Google Toolbar
    Internet Explorer add-on that directly accesses Googles search functions, translation functions and shows the user a graphical approximation of a pages rank (PageRank: Googles determined value of you webpage as determined by Google.)

Google Webmaster Information

Webmasters Guide Index
    http://www.google.com/webmasters/facts.html' target='new'>Google Facts & Fiction
    FAQs

Add/Remove sites/content

Add Url
    Add your root url here, Google will find your other pages by crawling (following) your links.

Remove Content
    Does Google have certain pages that you DIDN'T want indexed? This tells you how to remove it.

SPAM Report :: Spam Report Generic link to Google's spam form.
    Any unethical technique used by an seo to gain better search engine ranking should be reported via the Spam Report link as requested by Google. Be sure the spam is clear cut and not just a site that you would like to see removed.

You can also report from any SERP - at the bottom of the first page there is a link "Dissatisfied with your results? Help us improve" When you click that link (the 'help us improve part') you will be taken to a custom spam report that tells Google what search you did to find the spam. If you do use the generic form please be sure to state what your search was, the offending url(s) and any other information. Keep it simple and factual, short and to the point.

Common Forum Questions & Answers:

1) Q: What is the 'Google Dance'

A: The 'Google Dance' is what the monthly update is commonly called. It refers to the update process that is visible in the index. The update takes about a week to complete and during that time you will see the listings vary wildly from new data to old while positions will jump up and down (and sometimes completely out) in a SERP as well.

2) Q: When does Google update?

A: Google has a standard monthly update which generally occurs at the end of every month. The data for this update is gathered during the preceding weeks. Google has been known to delay updates (or process them sooner than expected) when the mood strikes. Chances are delays are due to new algorithms being implemented and tested.

3) Q: What is "Everflux, Freshbot, Freshcrawl"

A: Everflux is when the SERPs appear to change (sites move up and down) while the update is NOT in effect. This is brought about by the Freshbot (or Freshcrawl) and is Googles way of ensuring that their data is the 'freshest' on the web. When the phenomena first occurred it was identifiable by the word 'Fresh!' and a date appearing on the last line of your listing between the URL and the 'Cached' link. The addition of 'Fresh!' the word was misleading to the public at large as it appeared to be a comment on the quality of the data not the recency of the crawl (which was what it was) so the word was quickly removed but the date remains. When you see this date attached to your listing you know that it is the product of a 'Fresh crawl' or 'Everflux'. What does this do for you? This enables Google to present the most recent version of your site in their listings and can cause your listing to move up or down in the SERPs. This is not a permanent change of your information within their database and if your site is not re-crawled by the 'freshbot' any changes associated with this crawl will fall out in approximately 48hrs. If your site is new to Google and is crawled by the 'freshbot' Note: there is no official bot called 'freshbot' it is a term used in forums to describe the googlebot that affects these specific changes within SERPs so don't email them for information regarding the 'freshbot' as they will respond that it doesn't exist! (because it doesn't)

4) Q: When will Google spider my site and how can I tell?
    Q: What is googlebot?

A: Googlebot (Google's spider) finds sites by following links from other sites. The more links to your site they find the the chance of Googlebot finding you. They also follow links from their addurl form, but prefer to find links to you instead. You can check to see if/when Googlebot has visited by reviewing your site's logs located on your server. When Googlebot visits you will see a reference to 'The little robot that google.com sends out to spider website content GoogleBot' or 'crawler12.googlebot.com' or something similar. They announce who they are. For more on locating and viewing your server logs you need to speak to your hosting company. Many common website statistics (site stats) programs will gather this information and present an easy to read report for you.

5) Q: What is PageRank?

A: PageRank is Google's method of ranking web pages. Google basically counts the number of incoming links to your web PAGE and (considers various other factors) to determine the importance of your web page and where it should rank. Keep in mind that this is only one factor in ranking.

6) Q: Will Google index my (asp, php, html, xml, etc) site?

A: Probably. Here is a list of what Google indexes as of 9/12/02 (from Google.com):
    http://www.google.com/corporate/facts.html
    http://www.google.com/webmasters/facts.html

HyperText Markup Language (html, pdf, asp, jsp, hdml, shtml, xml, cfml)
    Adobe Portable Document Format (pdf)
    Adobe PostScript (ps)
    Lotus 1-2-3 (wk1, wk2, wk3, wk4, wk5, wki, wks, wku)
    Lotus WordPro (lwp)
    MacWrite (mw)
    Microsoft Excel (xls)
    Microsoft PowerPoint (ppt)
    Microsoft Word (doc)
    Microsoft Works (wks, wps, wdb)
    Microsoft Write (wri)
    Rich Text Format (rtf)
    Text (ans, txt)
    Images
    Usenet messages

7) Q: I reported spam I found in Google, why is it still there?

A: Google does not remove spam just because it was reported. They review the report as soon as they can to determine if it really is spam (imagine, what would you do if it was that easy and your competitor got you removed). If it is particularly bad they may manually remove the offensive site or page but they do try and avoid this when ever possible. If it is not then the site or page will most likely become test material for new filter tweaks. Google always prefer to adjust their filters and algorithms to catch spam.

[Common listing description questions]
    - Can I change my description?
    - What is my description?
    - That's not the description I wanted!

A: The description Google provides with your listing is comprised of what they call Snippets. Snippets are created by taking the searched term and pulling that, along with the surrounding text, from your text data on your page. This Snippet is variable and changes with the search term.

If your site/url has an ODP/DMOZ listing then Google will list the ODP description below the Snippet, indicated by the word 'Description:' preceding it. The only way to alter this is by getting your ODP description altered.

9) What are internal links, external links, backlinks?

A: Internal links are links to your own site from withing your own site. External links are links to your site from someone else's site. Backlinks describes the links that Google shows as counting towards your site. Via the Google ToolBar there is a button that states "Backward Links" which when clicked is supposed to show you sites linking to the page your browser is currently viewing. Note that this button does not show all links indexed or credited to your site. Common belief is that it only shows links with a PR4 or above and that it also only shows 1/2 of the links credited to your site/page.

10) What do links have to do with Google?

A: Links, internal and external, help Googlebot find the pages within your site so that it can index them. Links also count, to various degrees depending on the link, towards your PageRank.

11) What is proxy.google.com ?

A: Google offers wireless services for several devices and go so far as to convert your html site for viewers using wireless appliances (such as cell phones and ***'s). Google Wireless, wireless user guide.
    Last edited by VodaBot; 11-17-2005, 10:26 PM.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Re: Google Guide

wow...thanks sooooooooo much

Gina
    Gina

Comment

Google Page Rank Calculations
      The value of how many points that migrate to the recipient page is based on the originating page's points divided by the number of outgoing links on that page.

PR goes something like this:-

PR0 = 1 page point,
      PR1 = 8 page points,
      PR2 = 64 page points,
      PR3 = 512 page points,
      PR4 = 4096 page points,
      PR5 = 32768 page points
      PR6 = 262144 page points,
      PR7 = 2,097,152 page points,
      PR8 = 16,777,216 page points,
      PR9 = 134,217,728 page points.
      The above is just a estimate or rough idea for calculation of PR points
      If you take a link from PR4 and the page has 100 links you will get 4096/100=40.96 points.

How google actually calculates Page Rank is still a closely guarded secrete, but the above is what many of my collegues believe. It works for them and does satisfy the equation:

PR(a)=PR(b)/links(b) + PR(c)/links.....PR(n)/links(n)

pet121

Comment

Thank you for this usefull information!!! very helpfull

Comment

Your most welcome, now go get them!!! pet121

Comment

Awesome guide..Thank-you..but i still have a question!

You say to get noticed by search engines the best way is to have links to my site??..where do these links come from and how do i get them???..Sorry if this is a bone question guys but i'm new to all this but learning fast.

Any help greatly appreciated.

P.S. So far all i have done is submit mu URL to Google, MSN and Yahoo!
            Should i be doing anything else?

www.indigohairdesigns.com
            www.indigohairdesigns.com

Comment

http://www.baldwincomusic.com/linkspage6.html

here is an example of a links page I built. Just used nav bars
              and pointed them to other sites. On some of those sites,
              I emailed them and asked them to put a link back to my
              site somewhere on their site. Most web folks are happy
              that you are linking to them and will reciprocate.

Also, consider installing a 'ror site generator' file.
              There is a tutorial somewhere about that, I just
              couldn't find it quickly. ror is an xml file, if I understand
              it properly, that locates key words on all the pages of
              your site and makes these available to search engines.
              Might be in the search engines tutorial,,,,duh!
              Have Fun!
              Brad Arnold.......
              www.baldwincomusic.com
              www.Northbaldwinhamradio.org

ClickheretoBlastyoursitetomany
              !Free Search Engine Submission!
              Talking Avatar for your web site!
              Free sound editor
              Voda Host Tutorials

Comment

However, my links may not be the best way to do it.
                I read where buttons are not the way to go on links.
                Just do some research.
                Brad Arnold.......
                www.baldwincomusic.com
                www.Northbaldwinhamradio.org

ClickheretoBlastyoursitetomany
                !Free Search Engine Submission!
                Talking Avatar for your web site!
                Free sound editor
                Voda Host Tutorials

Comment

Try using text links they count as content. Label this category what ever makes sense to you. Perhaps My Partners, Other Resoucers, ect.. Also try and add anchor text to give you visitor some insight to the site they will be visiting. This to also adds to your content.

pet121

Comment

A wealth of information, thanks.
                    Choco777
                    www.mayatabasco.com

Comment

Great info thanks !!
                      www.jaspernieuwenhuizen.nl
                      www.jaspernieuwenhuizen.com

Comment

Links should use very good anchor text - and be in text form.
                        Beth
                        A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
                        SEO - The Basics

Comment

ok..whatever he just said
                          http://www.beebrothers.org

Success is not a doorway. It is a staircase.

Comment

Hi There,
                            I am quite new at BV and need your help.
                            I was reading about google and got the info that I should put this code in my site to attract its robot.

# /robtots.txt

# no exclusion at all

My question: How and where I put this code on my front page?

Thanks a lot!
                            N Z B R
                            t o u r s
                            New Zealand Tours
                            Excursiones en Nueva Zelanda
                            Nova Zelandia Pacotes e Roteiros
                            Nouvelle Zelande Voyage
                            Neuseeland Reisen

Comment

Hi again,
                              I think I did something wrong while creating and puting the ror/site map on my page. It appears on the top, before the actual start of the page. How do I remove it from the HTML codes?

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">

how do I delete the above line? (go VIEW>>PAGE HTML and then?

Hope to hear from you soon,
                              Thanks,
                              Flavio
                              N Z B R
                              t o u r s
                              New Zealand Tours
                              Excursiones en Nueva Zelanda
                              Nova Zelandia Pacotes e Roteiros
                              Nouvelle Zelande Voyage
                              Neuseeland Reisen

Comment

Working...