Making an add-on the main account

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making an add-on the main account

Hi. Just a quick question regarding the add-on domains. I bought a domain package when I first registered with vodahost, and my domain is www.hondaclub-uk.com . I then purchased an add-on domain (www.civic5.com) and all was well. I have now decided that I no longer want to continue with the hondaclub domain, so wont bother with it at renewal time. What I need to know though is can I make the Add-on domain my main account domain? At present, in ftp, the hondaclub is the main database, and civic5 is contained within that databse.

Im closing the website and forum down for hondaclub, and want to get rid of the database for that aswell. I dont want to loose any on the civic5.com data though!!

Is there a way of switching them so that civic5 is the main one. any help appreciated!

Dave
    http://www.hondaclub-uk.com/

Re: Making an add-on the main account

Dave, put through a support ticket on this.
    Beth
    A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
    SEO - The Basics

Comment

Welcome Back!

It is a real pleasure seeing you again Beth!

It is really a joy for me
      Navaldesign
      Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
      Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
      DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
      Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Thanks Beth! Will do! Good evening Naval!

Comment

Good evening Dave,

make sure you get a backup of all site files, as well as a DB dump.

Do not rely too much on the cpanel backup, its better if you take uncompressed backup (using FTP) and a DB dump from phpMyAdmin.

Then put in a support ticket so VH will change the primary domain for the account to be the civic5
          Navaldesign
          Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
          DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
          Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Thanks Naval. I tried to submit a support ticket but the ticket side of thing seems to be down, so will wait till ive done the above. I take it it will just be the civic5 files i need to back up, as im not looking to keep the hondaclub site going? Not sure what the database dump is though!
            Am I better using Blue FTP to download the database stuff, or do it from the cp?

Comment

You mentioned that you have a database. If you actually do (unless you meant something else, which I don't know) you can go in CPanel,
              phpMyAdmin, click on the specific database used by civic5, and then click on Export.
              When the Export dialog box appears, select (at the bottom) Save as File.

This will result in downloading a .sql format file that contains the entire database content as well as all necessary comands to recreate the database structure if anything went wrong with the procedures that support should do.

Normally the main domain change should not affect anything, but I ALWAYS like to be on the safe side, so I follow above steps.
              Navaldesign

Comment

Hi Naval, yeah the civic5 domain has a phpbb forum installed, so has a database for that. Hondaclub uk also has one, and i also installed a"test forum" for trying mods on the forums, so that too has a database (unless im confusing the termenology! please correct me if i am lol) I've also got a shopping cart for civic5, which i created using fantastico. Ive exported them using the method you mentioned above, so hopefully things will be ok. I'm still a novice at all this to be honest, so always like to ask before going ahead with anything. I gather that for the website part of civic5.com, i will download through ftp all the files in the civic5.com folder ? Thanks in advance for all your help!

Comment

Normally, by submitting a support ticket and asking for the main domain change from hondaclub to civic5, your "public_html" will become the "root" folder, and the forum should be a subfolder of "public_html". As per today, instead, civic5 is a subfolder, and the civic5 forum is yet another subfolder of the "civic5" folder.
                  In other words, moving "civic5" one level up, is not enough, you also need to move the civic5 forum folder one level up.

The database instead should not be affected in anyway (normally)

This is why I suggested taking (by downloading) a full backup of your "civic5" folder, as it is today, which includes the forum, then uploading it again once this operation is complete.

This can be rather tricky and do NOT use BlueFTP to take the backup of the site, as BlueFTP is known to miss files when entire folders are downloaded / uploaded.

Another possibility would be to take a Database (forum) dump, and restore it after a fresh installation of the forum through Fantastico, BUT I'm afraid that if there have been version updates in the forum script between what you had and what CPanel (Fantastico) now install, there could be mulfunctions and conflicts.

Why don't you first ask support what can be done , and then discuss it further ?
                  Navaldesign

Comment

Working...
                  X