X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 similar sites. Any problems?

Hi guys,
    Have read Vasili's explanation (answering someone's question) about any possible penalties by the SE's...here it is:

"1. Do not create multiple sites for the same business, as this invariably creates "duplicate content' and is one of the most serious SE offenses that will result in severe penalties. Some have tried to skirt the issue by creating websites with as much as 60% all-new and unique content (a much less degree of "uniqueness" than even required page-to-page within a single site - the Rule is each page must be at least 80-85% unique), but eventually discovered that they were penalized by the Search Engines on ALL sites nonetheless, the majority of them penalized permanently (on each Domain, not website)."

I have a tour buisness in New Zealand. Site: www.nzbrtours.com
    And I'm also offering tours in Brasil. Site: www.toursriodejaneiro.com

Both are related to tourism and in no way I intend to trick the SE's for better results. They have 1 thing in common: tours that I offer. The tours are different and therefore the content is different.
    Is it bad having 2 sites like that? I have exchanged links between them just to show what I do in NZ, the feedback I have in TripAdvisor, etc...

Any thoughts will be more than welcome! (Are you out there Vasili!?

Cheers,
    N Z B R
    t o u r s
    New Zealand Tours
    Excursiones en Nueva Zelanda
    Nova Zelandia Pacotes e Roteiros
    Nouvelle Zelande Voyage
    Neuseeland Reisen

Re: 2 similar sites. Any problems?

Hello nzbr,

You have a couple of great sites. They seem well within safe boundaries of uniqueness from one another.

Hakuna matata!

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Originally posted by nzbr View Post
      Both are related to tourism and in no way I intend to trick the SE's for better results. They have 1 thing in common: tours that I offer. The tours are different and therefore the content is different. Is it bad having 2 sites like that? I have exchanged links between them just to show what I do in NZ, the feedback I have in TripAdvisor, etc...Any thoughts will be more than welcome! (Are you out there Vasili!?
      Having similar type sites is not a risk, and, as pointed out, the distinctive differences in your Content is clear and obvious. No worries there ...

However, you missed the obvious issue that is core to the thread from which you copied part of my explanatory reply, and have yourself the same issue that is being ignored: interlinking between similar sites within the same hosting account! This interlinking in itself is a serious risk that may prove very harmful to the SEO values you have worked so hard to earn ....
      ANY "outbound" link to another site within the same hosting account (with the same IP address) will prove detrimental to both sites (the Domains, actually), no matter what term you assign for the links or what concept you think you are skirting ... it is clearly "interlinking" and will result in severe penalty!
      This risk is not limited to site foundation "types," but is also discovered between Forums and a BV site or a CMS type site:
      "Interlinking is interlinking, and will always be seen as simply that, and will always be subject to SE sanction. It is simply a result of single-account hosting that cannot be masqueraded or disguised."
      * The original thread was also sharing a link to TripAdvisor (along with interlinking between sites in a single hosting account) and I can only suggest that the dynamic traffic TripAdvisor created was likely also a cause for the SE's to take a closer look to the "relevancy" of the links and thus the sites, and with this scrutiny, may have possibly had the expanded opportunity to discover the interlinking violation to be compelled to take action of sanctioning. Just something to be aware of whenever you "share" branding via a Link to such sites ... the fact they not only can elevate your site, but also require validation via simple WWW protocols (as a means to protect their own brand credibility, and to filter out 'non-qualified' site partners as well).

With Google announcing their intent to emphasize natural metrics over optimization method (re-throning "Content as King in the Realm of Relevancy" over any meticulous SEO efforts and contrived methods), and revealing a new penalty to impose on sites they deem "over-optimized," this is a clear indication that the simple efforts and earliest Rules are being elevated to greater importance than ever before, and should also be a call to return to respecting the "basics" of site design and WWW protocols (READ MORE HERE). Thus, simple things such as "interlinking" and an abundance of (or irrelevant) outbound or inbound links (another thing that had been relaxed that has since been tightened up dramatically for enforcement) will be cause for many sites to suffer sanction whereas in months earlier they would not.
      Just saying ...

I know to some this may be a monumental suggestion, but it really is worth mentioning: to be 100% "safe" from any possible 'interlinking' sanctions or other similar issues, consider taking advantage of the Mother's Day Coupon to purchase a separate, new hosting account to 'split up' similar sites: take the $30 savings and earmark it to pay Hank in Customer Service to help migrate any Forums (and their databases) to the new account, and you yourself can simply re-publish your BV-created websites simply and without worry!
      The success you enjoy of your sites producing profit the way they are, the added financial budgeting for an additional hosting account is negligible compared to the peace of mind that will result from be totally on track with basic WWW protocols (and will comply with the newest mandates from Google as well as be compliantly grounded for any future 'clarifications.'). Seriously ... consider biting the bullet and protecting your bright tomorrow by doing your best today!
      . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
      * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Thank you 'voda' and Vasili,

I'm always so worried with SEO that I always try to read (from time to time) the very interesting posts here in the forum.

For my (good!) surprise, after checking the links that I have in my Rio de Janeiro site, I've found just one pointing to TripAdvisor, which enables visitors to read the various feedback posted by different travellers (my previous clients). Therefore there's no 'interlinking' happening at all.

Next step is to build a site for the basketall association, which I am a member of. It is an entirely different issue, but you gyus think I should have a subdomain or is it better to buy a new one. The 'Rio' site is already a subdomain, can I have one more attached to my main site (www.nzbrtours.com)?

Many thanks again,
        N Z B R
        t o u r s
        New Zealand Tours
        Nouvelle Zelande Voyage
        Neuseeland Reisen

Comment

Again, it's all about relevancy .... and IMO, a basketball team has nothing to do with tours, travel, or destinations, so it would not be fitting or proper to create a Sub-Domain for it on an unrelated type Domain.

Go ahead an buy a unique Domain for it and create it as an Add-On Domain to your hosting account, as this will allow this new site all the full benefits of unique site SEO values and traffic metrics.
          . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
          * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Thanks (again) Vasili!
            N Z B R
            t o u r s
            New Zealand Tours
            Nouvelle Zelande Voyage
            Neuseeland Reisen