Windows 7/BV problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 7/BV problems

In migrating from XP to Windows 7 I've having some problems with BV. Using 11G when I open a page I see some garbled/overlaid text which I believe is caused by the text size having changed for some reason. I really don't like to think about having to open every page and change the text size back. Also the html box for my menu has moved up on the page and covers text. However, I published some pages with this overlap and they look fine. That's the good part - the bad is that I don't know where to place the html box on a new page to get it to show in the proper location.

And now I'm unable to open any of my bvp pages on my PC. This is probably a W7 problem but it tries to open bvp files with Adobe. I have changed the default numerous times but it will not accept BV and will not even show it on the list of programs to open a file.

I'm giving my old XP machine to my granddaughter and for now I'm leaving all my sites on it. I found a program that allows me to connect to another PC and work on files on the 2nd PC and I will try it.

Has anyone else experienced any of these problems?
    Thanks
    Jerry

Great Adult Gag Gifts
    Rockdale, TX - Class of 1965
    Milam County Historical Commission

Re: Windows 7/BV problems

Hi Jerry,

I am usint Vista x64 and I have no problem or issues using BV.

What you are referring to are the Bugs in BV 11.4 and 11.4G

Got to the BlueVoda Forum and check out the posts on Bugs and Issues.

2] As for your PC trying to open your .bvp files with Adobe?
    .BVP files can only be opened from Blue Voda Website builder only.

you cant just click on the file from your windows explorer to open it.
    www.siapamoyanganda.com/
    Malaysian Family Tree Website From the
    State of Johor.

HAPPY ARE THOSE WHO DREAM DREAMS AND ARE READY TO PAY THE PRICE TO MAKE THEM COME TRUE.

Comment

Thanks Zman,
      I'll check on the bugs. I scanned it briefly previously but will go back.

On my XP machine, if BV is open, I can just click on a page in my folder and it will automatically open that page.
      Now I must open BV, click on File, click on Open Page, navigate to the proper folder and page, and click on it to open.
      Now if I click on a page in my folder, it opens BV, but not my page. So I must File-Open Page...
      Sure is a lot easier with the way my XP machine opens it.
      Jerry

Great Adult Gag Gifts

Comment

There is also another important thing that you need to remember.

When installing any software, especially photo editors or readers, ensure not to allow the software to associate itself to all your file extensions.

The software normally will ask you whether you want to open all files using the software you are installing. Always select "NO" or "Deselect all the check boxes. Always allow the Windows default to be used.
        www.siapamoyanganda.com/
        State of Johor.

HAPPY ARE THOSE WHO DREAM DREAMS AND ARE READY TO PAY THE PRICE TO MAKE THEM COME TRUE.

Comment

Well, I think I have my problem solved.
          I increased my font size in Windows 7 from 125% to 150% and my BV files now look good. I have the option checked to let a site use its own font and size, but some sites are large. I don't even need my glasses to see some of them.
          Now if anyone knows how to get my files to open when I click on them like they do on my XP machine, I would be in hog heaven. In XP, as long as BV is open, I can click on a .bvp file and it opens that page in BV. It's not doing it in 7. Clicking on a .bvp file now simply opens BV again.
          Jerry

Great Adult Gag Gifts

Comment

Well, this morning I had to change my font size in Windows7 from 150% to 100% to get BV pages in order. I have no idea why.

But now I have noticed that the box in the lower right screen which shows the X & Y coordinates is too small to show the position. It will show only 6 digits (not counting the x & y and comma).
            If I insert a text box at x=0, y=1000, I can see 'x:0 , y:1000'
            If I insert the text box at x=100, y=1000, I can see only 'x:100 , y:100'
            This is not connected to text boxes because I see the same thing just by moving the cursor around on the page.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is there any way to increase the size of the box?

I've had nothing but hell with Windows 7 and BV. I've also noticed when I try to place something on a page - it is almost impossible to place it at exactly the point I want - it takes numerous attempts to refine the location exactly - it will move back and forth from a few less than 500 to a few more than 500 when I want 500. I do not have 'snap to grid' enabled.

I have uninstalled BV and reinstalled all to to avail.
            Anyone have any ideas?
            Jerry

Great Adult Gag Gifts

Comment

Goto Tools>Options and enter the path to your BlueVoda folder where your files are kept.
              www.siapamoyanganda.com/
              State of Johor.

Comment

After uninstalling and reinstalling numerous times, I am still having a problem with the x & Y coordinates showing on the BV screen.

The box in the lower right of the screen which shows the X & Y coordinates is too small to show the position or the size of the font is too large to fit in the box. It will show only 6 digits (not counting the x & y, colon and comma).
                If I insert a text box at x=0, y=1000, I can see 'x:0 , y:1000'
                If I insert the text box at x=100, y=1000, I can see only 'x:100 , y:100'
                When I move the cursor around on the screen, I only see up to 6 digits total for both coordinates.
                If I hold the cursor at x:99 & y:1000 it is fine. But if I move the cursor to x:100 then there is only space in the box for y to read 3 digits - thus x:100 y:100. This means that to place two objects at the same level on the page requires guessing the fine tuning.

Has no one else seen this problem? Does anyone have suggestions? I have set font sizes on PC, IE...
                Thanks

NOTE: I just noticed that I have the same problem with the width/height box.
                Last edited by jcaywood; 05-04-2010, 05:10 PM. Reason: info added
                Jerry

Great Adult Gag Gifts

Comment

I am using windows 7 (previoulsy XP) and i am having all sorts of layout issues but have never looked at the x y thingy me bob. I have posted a couple of times over the last few days desperatly trying to get some answers.....nothing yet
                  To get everything to look right I have to layout the page www.readysteadyanglais.com/screenshot.com.
                  Maybe its a windows 7 thing?
                  Interesting how we all title problems/questions differently
                  Debbie

Comment

I couldn't open your link - but I probably saw the same thing on my pages. An image would have to be moved all over the page - over text, whatever, to publish in the right place.

I was having to remotely connect to my old XP machine to do anything with BV. The layout was way off on Windows7 machine. I tried everything to no avail. And about the 10th time I uninstalled/reinstalled BV the layout works. Now if I could just figure out an answer to this problem...
                    Jerry

Great Adult Gag Gifts

Comment

"Now if I could just figure out an answer to this problem..."
                      I would probably be your new best friend))
                      I am having to adjust each page individually as the layout is different on every page. I even tried doing PHP as i thought that might help but it seems to make no difference. Maybe i should try an uninstall.install x 10 !
                      I don't know why the link won't open...sorry about that.
                      At least I don't feel such a div now I know its not me doing something wrong

Debbie

Comment

hi, was the ever an answer to this thread, as i think this has just statered happening to me too, seemed alright b4? but now the text seems to be bigger in bv, than what it publishes. also there seems to be this gap on the near the bottom of my page, that pushes everything about 200 down leaving this blank spot?
                        ty

Comment

As far as I am aware there is not a solution.....I have everything crossed there will be soon though as it is soooo frustrating. Interestingly when I used the form wizard everything seemed to be easier to place.
                          You will get used to looking at everything being piled up: it may even become a skill LOL

Good luck

Debbie

Comment

thanks for reply, do you experience that gap too? i almost think it is caused by my textbox just above the gap. I sort of think it is when the text box is publishing it is shrinking the text, but increasing the text box and pushing everything added after it to the end of its random end spot.

could i have done something silly to make this happen? i did delete all my pgaes and started index alover again, could i have deleted something i shouldnt have? pretty sure i didnt though.

Comment

I don't know. I thought at the start it was something I may have done and posted about it but since then I have written other pages from scratch following the suggestions people made about the gapping problem and I still get a huge gap. I've just accepted that is how it is for now and just pile it all up and keep looking in preview to adjust it into the right place.
                              I think it is something to do with the text size transfer between BV and then the web but that is just a guess as I know nothing really technical

Debbie

Comment

Working...
                              X