Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• redirects

Hi,

not all my redirects are working and this is due to the length of the page target. How can i get this to work and take me to the correct page rather than my home page?

cheers in advance
    dean023
    www.nativeskins.co.uk

Re: redirects

anyone????
    www.nativeskins.co.uk

Comment

Not exactly understanding your question - could you give us an example from your page - what you want it to do and what it is doing?
      Liz
      www.sebastopolparty.com
      www.raynordescendents.com

Ring the bells that still can ring

Comment

Originally posted by larazovich
        Not exactly understanding your question - could you give us an example from your page - what you want it to do and what it is doing?
        would like to redirect to a certain page in my soholaunch cart e.g
        http://appliance.electricalwholesale...s_and_switches

this url is too long for the redirect and doesn't work. instead of (perminant) appearing next to the page redirect it has (switches_and_sockets) and you get a page not found error.

If i shorten that to the home page
        http://appliance.electricalwholesaler.org.uk
        it works and (perminant) appears correctly

hope this makes it clearer and thanks for your kind offer to help

cheers in advance
        deano
        www.nativeskins.co.uk

Comment

can anyone help me with this please?

is there a limit to how long a redirect is?

???????
          www.nativeskins.co.uk

Comment

Dean..

Im not sure HOW you are doing the redirects, but this is an example link off your site

http://appliance.electricalwholesale...=1&cat=29&=SID

If you remove the last ?=SID

That may solve your problem as you are linking to a dynamically generated page noted by the SID(session id). That might interfere with redirection as you are referring to a PAST session instead of a current one.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
            1-302-283-3777 North America / International
            02036089024 / United Kingdom
            291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Karen,

the page i tried to redirect doesn't have that i.e

http://appliance.electricalwholesale...s_and_switches

so any other ideas?

Cheers
              Deano
              www.nativeskins.co.uk

Comment

Deano..

How are you doing the redirect? Via htaccess, meta refresh? Script?

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Originally posted by Karen Mac
                  Deano..

How are you doing the redirect? Via htaccess, meta refresh? Script?

Karen
                  That sounds very technical! I'm doing it via the redirect option in my blue voda cpanel (i don't know how to do any other way!!)

kind regards
                  Deano
                  www.nativeskins.co.uk

Comment

You're going about this wrong - you should be linking to your pages, not redirecting; that's gonna leave you in a mess.

I'm by no means a Soho expert so I can't help much, but there are a few here who are, so I'd suggest that you consider posting in the Soho area of the forum and maybe reigning in the impatience just a tad.
                    My NASCAR Forum

Comment

Originally posted by racefan20
                      You're going about this wrong - you should be linking to your pages, not redirecting; that's gonna leave you in a mess.

...........maybe reigning in the impatience just a tad.
                      Before saying I'm going about this the wrong way, you need to know the circumstances - I started out with BV but have now transferred to soho so all my bv pages need to be redirected as anyone who has booked marked these pages will be able to buy stuff at the wrong prices.

impatience? why? I started this thread on 26th Feb and not been impatient at all, where i have i been impatient?

regards
                      Deano
                      www.nativeskins.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by dean023
                        Before saying I'm going about this the wrong way, you need to know the circumstances - I started out with BV but have now transferred to soho so all my bv pages need to be redirected as anyone who has booked marked these pages will be able to buy stuff at the wrong prices.

impatience? why? I started this thread on 26th Feb and not been impatient at all, where i have i been impatient?

regards
                        Deano
                        And you explained all of this where? You're right, I needed to know the circumstances and you didn't bother to offer those at first, did you?

But reposting in this thread with

anyone????
                        and

can anyone help me with this please?

is there a limit to how long a redirect is?

???????
                        is decidedly impatient and very misplaced. You posted this in 'General Support Issues' when your question isn't general at all - it's very specific.

It should have been posted in the Soho forum, where it would get more attention.
                        My NASCAR Forum

Comment

Racefan20

your being no help what so ever so please don't waste both yours or my time.If you can't help don't comment.

Its not in the soho furum because its nothing to do with soho but a BV redirect issue! There are many thread in this forum regarding redirects!
                          you don't need to know why i want to redirect which why you were spared the details!

the point I have made is if the redirect length is too long it doesn't work and i asked if there is a limit to the length thats all.If you can help with this fine if not fine but keep your flaming and opinions to yourself

I bumped the thread to the top with anyone after no reply after 2 days which is not being impatient
                          www.nativeskins.co.uk

Comment

is decidedly impatient and very misplaced. After 2 weeks!?????????

You posted this in 'General Support Issues' when your question isn't general at all - it's very specific.

General support Issues = support on all aspects including redirects
                            www.nativeskins.co.uk

Comment

Dean

In honesty when moving a site, ive never redirected from individual pages to a new individual pages, just the domain itself. Im not sure that it would be limited to domains, however, in my opinion you are better off doing a redirect on the old pages via meta refresh and a link on the page itself to the new page in the event the meta tag doesnt do it for them. As long as you dont CLOAK or try to hide the redirection you should be fine.

Alternately if you are skilled and brave enough you can write up all the links in the htaccess and redirect them that way too, but it does require a bit more tech know how.

I think ive seen javascripted redirects as well for this type situation, but i am up to my ears in 12 to 15 year old kids for a birthday party... so forgive me if I dont go look it up for you. You can also do a search for how to do the meta refresh tags too!

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                              291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Working...
                              X