X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Domain name advantages

Hi
    My website is www.lescrouquets.net and currently is on page 2 of Google for the search phrase Dordogne holiday cottages.

I also have the domaine name www.dordogne-holiday-cottages.net and had intended to re direct it towards the main site.

Now I want to start a blog and am wondering if in terms of SEO there is any advantage over publishing the blog to the new domain and linking it to the main site or if it would be better to go with the original idea of redirecting the new name and then publishing the blog to another domain (eg www.dordogne-gites.info) and linking that to the main site instead.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
    Many thanks,
    Elena

Re: Domain name advantages

This has been discussed so much in here, I am surprised you missed the many threads .... here's one that may point out some of the pratfalls to such practices, and here's a PDF I prepared to spell out some of the other methods to avoid when designing a web presence and strategy.
    . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
    * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Thanks Vasili,
      I didn't miss the threads - I've read lots of posts about this but there are so many conflicting answers now I'm confused.

When I looked in the Vodahost Domain names knowledge base the answer to the question Can I have multiple domain names point to the same site was
      Yes. This service is commonly referred to as "Domain Pointer" and allows you to have as many domain names as you wish point to the same website on your account.

Also I know you personally don't agree with pointing domain names & reckon that any more than 2 or 3 coiould flag up problems - see this post

I'm not trying to lead people to a page they didn't want nor am I trying to have different websites with similar content and I was only intending to redirect /point one extra domain name to my site as well as having a separate blog linking to it ( all relevant info re life at our holiday cottages)

Is this really a bad thing to do?
      Elena
      Dordogne Holiday Cottages

Comment

Were I you, I'd install Wordpress on the second domain and develop it to be a site unto itself, even if it is just a collection of articles about the same "Inn" and perspectives thereof: this would be unique Content and satisfy the Rules.

Having a single (or universal/global) link to your other site in the sidebar would not be an infraction either, as it would represent only one outbound link from the Blog. You'd be fine there.

Be sure to keep your Blog Content truly unique and definitively non-similar or duplicative, pushing to the 90-95% uinique threshold, since not only is the core subject the same, but the domain name itself is so similar.
        . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
        * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Many thanks for getting back to me, Vasili
          I think that's what I'll do.

Elena

Dordogne Holiday Cottages

Comment

Working...
          X