X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with naming and URL

Hi!
    I’m new here and I need help.

I created a home page and save it as ‘index’. In page properties I gave it a title ‘Vila House’. I added 8 Navigation Bars to it, which are called ‘Home’ (this is supposed to be this main ‘index age’) and other bars are called ‘About Slovakia’, ‘Maps and Directions’, ‘Accommodation and Prices’, ‘Photogallery’, etc. 7 navigation bars are supposed to be 7 subpages.
    Besides on each subpage I want to create few navigation bars, for example: on the page ‘About Slovakia’ I am going to have ‘history’, ‘geography’, ‘people’ and so on.

First question is – if my main URL is www.vilahouse.com ? or a different one?

Second question is – should I type URL www.vilahouse.com/about_slovakia ? and then www.vilahouse.com/maps_and_directions ? or should I add .html at the end?

Third question is – what about URL in ‘History’ section on the page ‘about slovakia’? should URL be www.vilahouse.com/about_slovakia/history ? or www.vilahouse.com/about_slovakia/history.html ?

Fourth question is – can I use shorter URL? E.g. www.vilahouse.com/slovakia for the subpage ‘About Slovakia’, or www.vilahouse.com/offer for the section ‘Accommodation and Prices’. Or do I have to follow exactly what I typed on the Navigation Bars.

Uff.. hope I expressed myself in a clearly way.

Thanks in advance

Re: Problem with naming and URL

Have you configured your dns name server?
    http://www.vodahost.com/DemoDemo/vd/2.htm

I would suggest you publish your index page first, then work on linking.
    Getting the first page published is a giant step. Your dns server
    must be configured first. Then open index page and publish.
    (just index with no extentions). The url for the 'home' page
    will be http://www.vilahouse.com/index.html
    Brad Arnold.......
    www.baldwincomusic.com
    www.Northbaldwinhamradio.org

ClickheretoBlastyoursitetomany
    !Free Search Engine Submission!
    Talking Avatar for your web site!
    Free sound editor
    Voda Host Tutorials

Comment

Have you purchased a Voda Host account? If so, have you purchased a domain name?

Now to explain page creation, naming and it's relation to a URL. Your main URL is goining to be your domain name with its proper extension (.com, .net, .org etc........) So if you purchased the domain name mywebsite.com - it would be accessed on the internet by typing in http://www.mywebsite.com

You are correct- the very first page must be named index . The web server is designed so that when some one types in only mywebsite.com - it will display the index page automatically.

Now all other pages created with the BV web builder will, upon publishing, be given a html extension automatically. Therefore, for you to access them you must create a link to it. So lets take for example you create another page and call it page2. Your link to it would look like this;
      http://www.mywebsite.com/page2.html

You link button does not have to mirror the name of your page. For instance, the menu (link) button may say "About my Mother" and be linked to a web page called mother.html

Hope that helps

Andy
      PHP- is a blast!

Comment

ok. thank you for advise :)

Comment

I am wanting to publish a page but I want it to be the page that you see when someone first types the web address www.enhancebynature.com.au. Maybe I not following the right instructions? But I just get the Index page with my directory not the webpage I want to publish

Comment

Rename your Index to index (thats a small i) and republish. It should work then.

Andy
            PHP- is a blast!

Comment

Thanks - it worked

Comment

Working...
              X