Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Faster Loading Of Pages....an idea/question!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faster Loading Of Pages....an idea/question!

Hi Everyone,
    I hope I'm in the right place...so here goes. I have recently been interested in using CSS and/or HTML code to enhance my website

www.briancristopher.com

and I noticed how much faster things seem to happen when I preview them and learn by my mistakes.
    So with this in mind I have cloned my pages and deleted all visible infomation(text/images/links the whole lot) but have kept all the code for this stuff in the VIEW page as HTML dropdown menu (īnside the body)
    So what I look at is in effect a blank page, but on previewing EVERYTHING is working and much much faster...the page weight/loading time is about 20% of the original.
    So if I go ahead and publish my pages in this way will it really all work or am I onto a loser of an idea
    Any ideas anyone
    cheers
    Brian cristopher

Re: Faster Loading Of Pages....an idea/question!

Brian

I just looked at www.briancristopher.com and the pages loaded very quickly for me as it stands. I use a broadband connection, which helps, but your site is certainly quicker at loading than many sites I see.

Darren
    Happy Building

DarrenC

Comment

Hi Darren,
      actually your right,it loads fast enough anyway....that was never an issue for me ,but the idea of getting ANY page to load at 20% of its old speed is rather sweet and economical..and it only take a couple of clicks to do it.
      I just dont know if I'm fooling myself with this idea or not.
      Cheers
      Brian Cristopher

Comment

holy complicated.

Ok here is a site I just built over the weekend with BV.

ヘナ染めのポータルサイト。美髪の救世主「ヘナ」を広めるため、53歳で美容師になった山中登志子(200万部売れた「買ってはいけない」編集者)が、安心・安全できるヘナ商品、美容室&理容室で染める「プロヘナ」、自分で手軽に染める「セルフヘナ」を伝えます。劇的変化のヘナ染めBefore&After、全国ヘナサロン一覧アップ中!

I have broad band (20mbps, super broad band is more like it) and it chunks a tad bit. It is heavy with buttons and I wonder if people with ISDN or dial up are having a hard time. Awstats will tell me soon enough if what kind of audience I have.

My question is, is there an easy way to compress the files on a page to load faster?
        www.rodharper.com (new)

Comment

There is a huge difference between building sites on a WYSIWYG software and an HTML/CSS editor or by hand.

I can't go through details, because that might breach the terms here, but all I can say is that using CSS is great, specially if your CSS is external and linked back to your page rather than embedded in the page itself.

At the moment you saved 20% on using CSS - BUT - it's still embedded in your page, you can save probably another 20% or MORE - if you externalize your CSS - which means:

open your page and go view > View Source

See those styles like div#container etc

They can be moved from there to a file called for example Styles.CSS and link it to your page, you'll be surprised how fast your page would load.

Because at the moment, the browser still needs to read all the code you've got in the page.
          The Producer

Comment

Interesting thought, i completely agree with your perspective
            comparatif simulation taux pret auto - taux pret auto differe selon la prise en compte ... calculent automatiquement le taux pour un pręt automobile donne.comparatif simulation taux pret auto

Comment

Using a program like BV (or any html generator for that matter), you are going to have an increased load time because of all the extra html code that it will generate. You get a lot of repetative code on your page for things such as:

- Positioning of the element within the page
              - Font attributes (size, color, face, etc)
              - Duplicate or empty html tags due to the nature of using a WYSIWYG interface.

If you use CSS you can effectively remove any duplicate code for formatting text, reduce the amount of code needed to place elements, and make sure there are no empty or useless code within the document.

Also having external css files (which was mentioned before), will save load time as the browser can cache this file as it isn't going to change from page to page. Although having several external css or javascript files can slow the page load if you have too many as it takes more server requests if it needs to load them again.

Register/Login Script
              Do you use a Password Protected Directory? Need a way to allow users to make their own account, try my .htaccess Login Script

Comment

Here we go, now Watdaflip just confirmed what I wanted to say.

I just want to add a note to what has been said.

I built a site in a WYSIWYG Software, then copied the code and placed it into an HTML editor, when I viewed the page on a Design view, I saw that I have each single element in my website is contained withing a layer tag.

Do you know how heavy is that? inserting just one layer tag in your site can add a huge amount of time to loading your pages, so imagine when every single image, paragraph, title, symbol etc etc are contained each on its own layer tag.

Just do this test as I did and discover more :)
                The Producer

Comment

When you have blue voda open just click on tools<page weight.
                  It will tell you when it is heavy or not. certain graphics are super fat.
                  www.rodharper.com (new)

Comment

Originally posted by Nite Producer View Post
                    There is a huge difference between building sites on a WYSIWYG software and an HTML/CSS editor or by hand.

I can't go through details, because that might breach the terms here, but all I can say is that using CSS is great, specially if your CSS is external and linked back to your page rather than embedded in the page itself.

At the moment you saved 20% on using CSS - BUT - it's still embedded in your page, you can save probably another 20% or MORE - if you externalize your CSS - which means:

open your page and go view > View Source

See those styles like div#container etc

They can be moved from there to a file called for example Styles.CSS and link it to your page, you'll be surprised how fast your page would load.

Because at the moment, the browser still needs to read all the code you've got in the page.
                    Please don't confuse the page weight (counting only the page code) with the total of code passed to the user browser.

When you have external css files, the ENTIRE css file is also loaded, so you gain NOTHING (on the contrary, you are adding some bits of code to call the external css).

Only when the css file is cached (IF your page code and your browsser settings are not made so the browser will look for the last version each time) you will have some result.

In BV's case, the extra code even in a rather "heavy" page rarely exceeds some KBs, so it is NOT the code that causes loading time to increase ( 2 - 3 KB of additional code are loaded in a fraction of a second, in my 20 MB ADSL it takes some milliseconds (usually it downloads at a real speed of 600 Mb)

If you have issues with page loading look at your images, optimize them, look at embedded mp3 files loadd, look at banners embedded from other sites etc. In most cases those (images first) are the reason.
                    Navaldesign
                    Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
                    Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
                    DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
                    Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Originally posted by Nite Producer View Post
                      Do you know how heavy is that? inserting just one layer tag in your site can add a huge amount of time to loading your pages, so imagine when every single image, paragraph, title, symbol etc etc are contained each on its own layer tag.
                      Each single <div> container, with all the stylling code related, takes approx 60 - 70 bytes.

If you have 50 objects in your page (rather rare in most cases) it's about 3.5 Kb.
                      Insignificant (unless you are on a VERY slow connection) regarding loadin time. Less than a small size image.

The advantage of external css is that you separate sontent from presentation, so you can concentrate on the content, then stylish your site as you like. Also you make less coding work (once you have coded your css file its there to use in all of your pages). Last but not least, with external css you can style an entire site changing only one file.

However, this is not the case of the average (or even advanced) USER in this forum. Most people don't even know how to hand code a simple page.

Other software (DW, EW) allow you to use css, but they are very costy and have a long learning curve.
                      Navaldesign
                      Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
                      Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
                      DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
                      Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Working...
                      X