Help Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Please

I have downloaded the oscommerce and now am having a real problem trying to figure out where to go and how to change the text on the main page. Can someone please help me? I have tried looking at the tutorial and it is way out of my understanding as I can not even find the place it tells me to go to change the text.

Re: Help Please

Try installing OSC directly for your control panle as described in the below tutorial.

Oscommercr is the worlds leading shopping carts. Tutorials about how to set up your Oscommerce Shopping Cart

Have you visited there community forum yet? TONS of info!

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Originally posted by VodaHost
      Try installing OSC directly for your control panle as described in the below tutorial.

http://www.vodahost.com/tut_osc.htm

Have you visited there community forum yet? TONS of info!
      That is how I installed directly through the control panel. I am able to get into it and place products but it is the other things like changing the main text that I am having problems with.

I have tried their forums but either get no answer o my questions or get a response from someone wanting to charge me to install it for me.

What do you suggest?

Even when I go into their tools section and try to edit it tells me that I am unable to edit from their.

I am really lost.

Barbara

Comment

There templates are php driven, you really have to know what you are doing to
        alter them to that degree.

What EXACTLY and I mean EXACTLY do you want to do?

VodaHost

Your Website People!
        291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Originally posted by VodaHost
          There templates are php driven, you really have to know what you are doing to
          alter them to that degree.

What EXACTLY and I mean EXACTLY do you want to do?
          When you bring up the main page on os commerce once it is installed it gives you instructions on how to change the main text in the center of the page. I have tired to follow that and it will not alllow me to do it.
          Here is the page I am speaking of http://northernheritageproductions.com/osc1/

What I want to do is in that section of the page is this. I want to be able to put my own text in.

I also want to be able to upload this so that it is active and working. But can not find the place to do that.

Thanks again for your help.

Comment

Originally posted by cajun_spice98
            When you bring up the main page on os commerce once it is installed it gives you instructions on how to change the main text in the center of the page. I have tired to follow that and it will not alllow me to do it.
            Here is the page I am speaking of http://northernheritageproductions.com/osc1/

What I want to do is in that section of the page is this. I want to be able to put my own text in.

I also want to be able to upload this so that it is active and working. But can not find the place to do that.

Thanks again for your help.
            This is the error that comes up when I try to edit
            Error: I can not write to this file. Please set the right user permissions on: /home2/norther/public_html/osc1/includes/languages/english/account_edit.php
            Where do I go to fix this and how?

Comment

Originally posted by cajun_spice98
              This is the error that comes up when I try to edit
              Error: I can not write to this file. Please set the right user permissions on: /home2/norther/public_html/osc1/includes/languages/english/account_edit.php
              Where do I go to fix this and how?
              You are getting this because you most likely tried to edit your pages from admin, big no no. You need to edit the php directly off the server via ftp.
              As support said you need to be a little ok with php to modify pages. Get yourself a free php editor (there are loads available just do a search on google) When you do the text for the home page is in,

includes >languages>english>index.php

Always backup the original page before you edit, that way if you get any errors you can simply upload the original. Nearly every problem you encounter someone has had before you and posted it on the osc forum, also use their knowledge base. It takes a while to learn osc but it's well worth it

Paul
              Oscommerce sites : www.nutritionzone.co.uk
              www.aromaskincare.co.uk
              www.thebirthbox.com

Comment

Thanks for the response. I am working on getting it done. It is a learning curve I will say that.

Originally posted by paulb
                You are getting this because you most likely tried to edit your pages from admin, big no no. You need to edit the php directly off the server via ftp.
                As support said you need to be a little ok with php to modify pages. Get yourself a free php editor (there are loads available just do a search on google) When you do the text for the home page is in,

includes >languages>english>index.php

Always backup the original page before you edit, that way if you get any errors you can simply upload the original. Nearly every problem you encounter someone has had before you and posted it on the osc forum, also use their knowledge base. It takes a while to learn osc but it's well worth it

Paul

Comment

i just 7.6.0 and now when i go to change the type color ect of the bottons on the links it will think and never get there just freezes up.

Comment

try rebooting

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Working...
                    X