Thin line for Tables

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thin line for Tables

I would love to see a table that has a single line instead two lines, ( one for the table and one for the cell )

I have a lot of need that involve the use of thin lines for tables but cannot use BV table as it does not allow it.

Please do not tell me to reduce the current width to 1 as that does not work!

As I am writing this wish/request I can see a thin table used for B. voda's banner add placed on the top right of this page http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=27

In the meantime an HTML code thaqt will reduce the thickness of the lines would be a great help as I have noticed that tables and cells have a HTML coding option .

Sinisa
    vullcanairbrush.com

Re: Thin line for Tables

Well, actually there is an easy way to do it. BUT, you need to do this for all cells, it is not enough doing it for the entire table:

Right click each cell, select HTML, and paste the following in the Inside Tag:

style="border:1px"

Otherwise you need to define a css style class and then add this class assignment inside the table html Inside TAG
    Navaldesign
    Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
    Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
    DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
    Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Thanks Naval you're always a great help,

I tried that and it looks great for one cell , but when I want to create an entire table ( with multiple cells) then cell lines obviously do not appear leaving the table blank which is not what we wanted in the first place.
      Please check the page http://www.vullcanairbrush.com/test_1.php
      and on the left you will see the desired effect.
      On the right hand side of the above page, is the B. Voda's table with the applied code you provided ( the code was used only on three cells ).

Ideally cell border would merge into the table border and adjacent cell lines would merge!
      Also BV tables do not seem to follow orders. I have place a yellow color for all cells as well but they do not appear in the preview or after publishing.
      This is a serious issue ...!
      Anyway if you would look at the example maybe you have a solution...
      Best regards
      Sinisa
      P.S I hope BV is listening because the table I have made has total of nine cells but after publishing only eight appear and never in the spot I have originally placed the table at.

Comment

From a research that i made, it seems that Karen is right. Since html by default places the cells one beside the other, the minimum border that you can have is 2 pixels (because each cell has a border of 1 pixel)

I also researched css solutions, but there doesn't seem to be a way to have thin lines unless you accept the double lines (each cell has its own border).
        Navaldesign
        Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
        DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
        Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

In blue voda, of you set your table with 0 spacing and 0 padding in the PROPERTIES, you get one line only and it also borders the CELLS. So.. if you dont also add a border for the cells, you wont get DOUBLED lines

Even in HARD coding html tables and you use borders, you will still get double lines if you border the cells and the table both. Doesnt matter if you use css classes to refine it or not. ITS the law of the land.

You may add a layer and make a table with no borders and then add lines that are IMAGES or shapes smaller than 1px over the table, or create a transparent gif to lay over it, or vice versa but thats the only way you are going to get smaller lines.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
          1-302-283-3777 North America / International
          02036089024 / United Kingdom
          291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Actually they are two lines, that's why they appear as thick. Because each cell comes beside to the next (and to the entire table border)

This is way i suggested that thick lines can be obtained with double lines (cellspacing > 0)
            Navaldesign

Comment

Naval

Yes.. but she wants THINNER lines and is complaining they are TOO thick.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
              291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

BV will create 1 px borders for tables. There is no less than 1 px. BUT, setting the cellspacing to 0, will result in lines of 2 pixels (for the reasons explained above, that is, because they are 2 lines one beside the other).

If you set the cellspacing to 1 or 2 pixels, the lines are thin alright, BUT they are double.
                Navaldesign

Comment

OY VEY.. i know this..LOL...thats why i said just use the TABLE border and no border for the cells.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                  291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

But, BV doesn't allow to define the cell border separately from the table border. And, even if you use the style"border:0px" as i descibed above, unfortunately it resuls in cells without any border at all. There will only be a rectangle border.
                    Navaldesign

Comment

That is correct that is why I suggest a thineer line option , instead of 1PX , make 0.5PX line.
                      Sinisa

Comment

There can NOT be a line thinner than 1 px, your monitor (as any monitor in the world) can not render something that is less than the physical dimensions of a pixel.
                        Navaldesign

Comment

Thank you for letting me know this piece if information ,
                          I do not mean to sound controversial what I need is a thin line for table and as I said earlier 1px will do!

I use a graphic program Art Explosion that allows you to control each line of the table so the question is not weather A SEPARATING LINE for table can be made to 1px but will BV be willing to do it!
                          Sinisa

P.S. It is not necessary to create an option for each cell line to be modified in BV after all anything more than that is graphic design but to make your website pleasing to an eye of beholder BV should have Thin Line Option feature.

I do want to say that so far I have received much resistance for any suggestion I made.

When I suggested Site search tools to be implemented as a regular feature of BV website builder , BV Programmer told me that it cannot be done.

That is not most ridicilous statements one can made .This wiseguy also told me that the way my website was built I cannot even have one.
                          This person is supposed to be an expert.
                          As the matter of fact I do have a site serch program which you Naval help install!

So much for BV expertise! I am sure that this is all a front as they are really unwilling to advance much ,otherwise thse changes would have been made a long time ago!

I suggested two other ideas and even though they are legitimate they have been discarded.

-Professional looking slide show with smooth transitions ( there are plenty of them that can be modified )

- Roll over text and image for the shape tool

I am starting to believe that this channel is just for venting the frustrations of the some users as improvements for things that matter do not seem to show last two years I have been a member!

Comment

I will try to answer as better as i can.

Originally posted by sinisa72******.com View Post
                            Thank you for letting me know this piece if information ,
                            I do not mean to sound controversial what I need is a thin line for table and as I said earlier 1px will do!
                            This is not a BV issue, it is how HTML is designed to work. Graphics programs can create thin border tables, but only whilst they run on your desktop. HTML instead, can NOT place the border of a cell ON the border of the cell beside, it places the cells so that borders are one beside the other, thus resulting in thiker lines (because actually it is two of them). So BV can not have this feature. To my knowledge, there is NO html editor or HTML generator (website builder) that can do this.

I use a graphic program Art Explosion that allows you to control each line of the table so the question is not weather A SEPARATING LINE for table can be made to 1px but will BV be willing to do it!
                            IF this program can do what you say in HTML level (not on your desctop, that's easy) I would LOVE to see a table with thin borders created and published in a test page!!

P.S. It is not necessary to create an option for each cell line to be modified in BV after all anything more than that is graphic design but to make your website pleasing to an eye of beholder BV should have Thin Line Option feature.
                            As explained, it is a HTML issue, not a BV one.

I do want to say that so far I have received much resistance for any suggestion I made.

When I suggested Site search tools to be implemented as a regular feature of BV website builder , BV Programmer told me that it cannot be done.
                            Not sure who told you so. Please note that there are two ways of searching a site: one is database based: there are scripts (in php) that when installed on your site, will scan and index your content just as the Search Engines do. They store the results in a database, and then they display a search form which allows users to search your site content. However, since they require a database (usually, some also do it with flat files) they can NOT be included in BV.
                            The second way, which BV has already included, is to use the Form Wizard search form (available for Google and Yahoo) which will allow users to search your site THROUGH Google or Yahoo. The results are ONLY for your site. Not that good as the database ones, but sufficient for most users.

That is not most ridicilous statements one can made .This wiseguy also told me that the way my website was built I cannot even have one.
                            This person is supposed to be an expert.
                            As the matter of fact I do have a site serch program which you Naval help install!
                            I don't want to know the name, but i think that the person that told you so is not such an expert at all.

So much for BV expertise! I am sure that this is all a front as they are really unwilling to advance much ,otherwise thse changes would have been made a long time ago!
                            Well, that's not true. The last version of BV has implemented more than 50 new features. From forms, image manipulation, local folders, and lots of others . The fact is that the software continously evolves taking into account the user suggestions, but there are priorities! If a feature is asked by 1000 users and another by 10 users, it is obvious that the first one has the priority. With this said, please also take into consideration that BV is free, so there is no direct revenue from its development. I know MANY website builders that cost $50 - $1000, and, of course, the best ones cost more. However, those costy ones, are also quite difficult to learn and use, and they are not, in my opinion, suitable for the market Vodahost aims to.

-Professional looking slide show with smooth transitions ( there are plenty of them that can be modified )
                            Slide shows are either Javascript or PHP, and usually based on xml files (you don't see them but they are there). Creating such a slideshow is not easy, in fact most of them are VERY difficult. BV implements, if possible, the open source ones.

- Roll over text and image for the shape tool
                            Not sure what you mean.
                            I am starting to believe that this channel is just for venting the frustrations of the some users as improvements for things that matter do not seem to show last two years I have been a member!
                            Well, this is a rather hard to understand statement.
                            BV 8 had only a fraction of the features BV 10 features. BV now has one the best form wizard. It has become Unicode, thus supporting all possible languages. It improved tables, though not yet as you desire them. It has implemented image manipulation, rotation, effects. It has implemented the Logo, the guestbook, the form validation, the RSS feed, different types of menus, Lightbox, Glass buttons, PayPal buttons and a LOT more! These features didn't get implemented just because some crazy programmer thought that it would be nice, but because users have asked for them!

Don't forget that the major feature of BV is its simplicity and the short learning curve. It might not have everything, but has what MOST users would ever ask for. And, it is constantly improving......
                            Navaldesign

Comment

Thank you Naval ,
                              I will try to respond best I can,

1) RE: Blue Voda Lacks thin Lines

I never said I had a problem with how HTML works, all I said is there is a genuine need to have thin lines for tables.

How that is accomplished and weather you use java ,xhtml , css or any other programming language it is entirely choice of a programmer!Right?

Since Blue Voda lacks thin line feature for tables it is a Blue Voda Problem!

The facts are it can be done and any person that needs it ,cannot have it!

2) RE: Site search
                              As far as I know the landing page for that type of site search is google or yahoo which takes users away from your site and as you said clearly not an option for a small business!( correct me if I am wrong about the landing page )

3) Improvements in blue Voda
                              Actually I am right about Blue Voda not making improvements (I say that with obvoius limitations) here is why !You said that forms are new feature.

Forms are basic tools yet it took Blue Voda centuries before only last year they implemented them!

While some may argue that , how about spelling?

That too took years before it was implemeted and that only few months back. If that is not dark ages you tell me!
                              Spelling check is a basic tool! No comment!!

Let me say just that by adding basic features and letting users know how they are "New features " instead of "corrections" is not fooling anyone!

4) RE: Slide Show
                              This too can be done as the matter of fact the smooth transition in Java is a very small script .Instead in Blue Voda in the slide show provided pictures appear abruptly as in a cheesy movie.
                              For anyone to tell me that can't be patched in instead the old one is simply not true!

5) Roll over text and image for the shape tool
                              Here is another one ,
                              Blue Voda has few button imagefeatures .They all lack something or are made with intention to make you feel like there are alot of features !

For instance:

a) You can rollover image but you do not have a way to add text for links so text to can rollover as well (change color)

b)Button tool,
                              The same thing, you can place any type of button but you cannot change color of the text so you are stuck !

c) Navigation tool has a button image and text rollover but no way of placing your button image.Again youre stuck...

Threre are many things we can say about Blue Voda that we can say about many website builders the difference is I paid for this service and I am stuck trying to correct things!

If I say I need thin lines for tables and you say, That is not our problem talk to HTML , that leaves me without an option!

Another thing Blue Voda Is NOT FREE! You have to pay Voda Host because only Voda host supports Blue Voda website builder on their incrypted server .

Regards
                              Sinisa

Comment

Working...
                              X