This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to Get WP Site Back Online

Earlier this year I set up a subdirectory (/syk) in my VH root domain, jhwm.net, used Fantastico to install Wordpress in it, and created a full site using WP.

Then I registered a new domain, sykgroup.com, and set up an addon domain for it in my Voda cPanel, and copied all the files from /syk into the addon domain folder. Result: the pages I had created began (and until today, continued) appearing at the new domain.

Today when I (foolishly) deleted the /syk folder from my root directory, thinking I didn't need it anymore, the site disappeared from sykgroup.com. At that URL all it now says, "Error establishing a database connection." I'm guessing that might mean I lost the MySQL database for the site when I deleted the /syk folder.

But I'm pretty sure that database was "wrdp3", which I still see in cPanel > MySQL Databases. So now I'm really confused:

- All the files that were in the sykgroup folder before the site disappeared are still there.
    - wrdp3 appears NOT to have been deleted
    - Wordpress is installed in /sykgroup

So why is the site not appearing at sykgroup.com? THANK YOU.

Re: Need to Get WP Site Back Online

Your WP blog has config files that are looking for /syk, I'd guess. Those files will need to be edited. Perhaps someone here knows how to do that, otherwise it may be best to ask this at the WP forum. As far as I know, it's not possible to copy a WP blog into a new folder, it must be installed.
    CLAMcentral.com Children's Ministry resources
    CLAMcentral's Projects Blog
    CLAMbakeonline.com Family Fun

Comment

Thanks, Tom. I think in the last 2 hours of trying to find a solution I saw a post on WP's codex about editing wp-config . . . and I think it left me confused, but I'll give it another look.

I have another WP-based site, www.solvebusinessdebt.com, that I created in a subdirectory of my root domain. Earlier today I set up the addon domain for solvebusinessdebt.com and then copied into it all the files from the subdirectory--and it works just fine. I'm just afraid if I delete the subdirectory that the solvebusinessdebt site will vanish also.

Comment

Actually, moving Wordpress to a different area within your site or to a new server altogether is as simple as copying files and databases and does not require a full installation, as clearly explained in this link I provided a week or so ago >> Moving Wordpress

It appears you already read through it once, Jim, as the suggestion to create a temporary URL to practice the process before deleting anything is right up front in the preamble .... maybe another careful read-thru is required, as you admit, so your confidence is properly established and no grave mistakes are made.

*Just remember that such "moving" is actually considered a manual installation, and your blog will no longer have the administrative aspects of Fantastico associated, and all updates will need to be manually done as well (and it is extremely important to keep your WP totally up to date to fend off the growing attacks upon Open Source Code foundations such as WP).
        . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
        * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Thanks, Vasili. I've read thru the "Moving Wordpress" codex you linked to, but I'm not sure which of its instructions to follow--there's at least two major options. It's been more than a month since I copied all the files from /syk over to /sykgroup and changed the "Wordpress address" in General settings to www.sykgroup.com (yes, I did it in that order, which the codex says is wrong, but it worked). The problem only started yesterday, when I deleted the /syk folder from root directory.

Can you (or someone) be more specific about what I need to do to get the site back online? Should I go to the Voda help desk instead?

Comment

The instructions are pretty clear, and written in a very non-overwhelming manner in order to be used by everyone at whatever level they are, so you should be able to follow them to the letter easily without problem.

If after following them precisely you are still having trouble, it would be best to engage Support to help resolve any snags, as with new types of servers sometimes comes certain new protocols ...
            . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
            * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Working...
            X