First-time builder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First-time builder

I’m trying to build a PC for the first time. I have a Celeron dual-core 3300, an MSI motherboard (G31TM-P21, w/800MHz FSB), 4G DDR2 RAM (PC-6400), a 320G Maxtor SATA HD, a 380W power supply, and a DVD-RAM drive. I may get a DVD burner at a later date.

All components are connected to the motherboard as specified in each instruction set. Power and data connections are as specified. When power is applied, with no disc in the RAM drive, it is possible to access the BIOS screen.
    The DVD-RAM has been set as the first boot device in BIOS, with the Maxtor HDD as the secondary boot device. These are the only changes made to the BIOS. BIOS does recognize DVD-RAM and HDD, as well as RAM sticks.

When attempting to boot to the OS disc (windows XP Pro – and I prefer it because I am familiar with it, and I am retired now, so there is an element of financial concern, as well), the system will appear to start normally. The blue screen normally associated with initial installation of the OS appears, and the drivers for various functions appear in the bottom part of that screen. I do not select any variations from the default values. No RAID or SCSI, etc.

At the suggestion of another person who has built a computer for himself, I attempted to use the CD for the HDD (his suggestion was that it might need to have information from it’s CD in order to accept the OS), but without success.

I also attempted to boot to the CD for the motherboard, but that appears to be drivers which would be useful if I were running Linux. Neither the HDD or motherboard CD would allow any sort of data loading.

Before the OS can actually begin loading, a blue error screen appears with the following message: (printed below in blue)

Be aware that this screen appears to be left-shifted slightly, so the first two characters in any line are obscured. I am able to infer most, but any which I cannot define will be represented by an asterisk.

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you’ve seen this stop error screen, re-start your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to be sure tyou have adequate disc space. If a driver is identified in the stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable **s memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, then select Safe Mode.

Technical information:
    ** STOP: 0c0000007E (0xC0000005, 0xF748E0bf,0xF78DA208, 0xF78D9f0

** pci.sys – AddressF748E0BF base at F7487000, DateStamp 3b7d855c

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    stratosaurus

Re: First-time builder

I tried what you are doing a long time ago and finally junk the CPU.

There are too much advancement in the industry and everything are changing so fast that it will not be worth it as
    you will only be able to install outdated software to run on your outdated motherboard, unless the motherboard you are going to use is the latest.

To make a long story short. It is cheaper to save and buy the latest. The latest is now cheaper than making a clone PC.

Check this out>>>>>>>>>>>
    www.siapamoyanganda.com/
    Malaysian Family Tree Website From the
    State of Johor.

HAPPY ARE THOSE WHO DREAM DREAMS AND ARE READY TO PAY THE PRICE TO MAKE THEM COME TRUE.

Comment

Re: First-time builder

Thanks for your response. I've managed to get further along.
      Stratosaurus

Comment

Working...
      X